Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MAME Neo Geo 4 and 6 Slot Setup

• Administrators

Just tested this and it worked. Of course replace directories for your own:

Step 1 - You need a NeoGeo Virtual Memory Card

NeoGeo Memory Cards:

If you haven't got a directory in YOUR mame folder called memcard, please create one. So something like this:

C:\Mame\memcard\

Again ensure you change the path to YOUR Mame Location

Step 2 - Start Mame and load any NeoGeo Game

Start MAME via your favourite front end or whatever, making sure you are running a neogeo game. If not using a front end you can use command line from the Mame directory eg:

C:\Mame\mame64.exe nitd

nitd is the rom name for Nightmare In The Dark but you can pick any NeoGeo game, as long as you have the rom for it.

Step 3 - Create a Memory Card

If you have never used a memory card before, you will need to create one.

a) Whilst in game (neogeo game) press Tab to bring up the Mame UI

b) Navigate to Memory Card

c) Navigate to Create Memory Card

It will ask you to select the directory to create it in, (you will choose the memcard directory you created in Step 1

NOTE: Name the memory card whatever you like but you'll need to edit the cmd below to match. You can create up to 999 Memory Cards if you like.

Memory Card Use

Ok, the memory card is loaded and also you're game is waiting for you to insert coins, put one coin in and play as normal. If u wish to continue after dying, insert more coins. To use the memory card once the game has started, when you lose the last life and you don't insert any more coins to continue you will be given to option to save the game onto the memory card. For instance, if you play to level 2 on Puzzle Bubble and die, when you don't insert any coins it will ask if you want to save the game, next time u start the game with a memory card inserted it will ask you if you want to load the memory card, if you click load you will start from level 2.

If you click "Call memory card manager" from the MEMCARD menu in MAME you can enter a name for your memory card and also see what files are stored on it (same as the PSX memcards :) ).

You'll have to reset the game and re-load the memory card if u go into this menu btw.

Step 4 - Using Memory Card to Load Multislot games

Now to use multi-slot either 2, 4 or 6 you need to specify the games to use and the number of games to load.

a) From a CMD Prompt navigate to your mame dir and run the following ensuring you change the paths:

mame64 neogeo -memc "F:\Temp\mame\memcard\neogeocard.mc" -cart1 blazstar -cart2 mslug -cart3 kotm -cart4 nitd

Command Breakdown:

mame64
is the name of the Mame.exe I'm using, in this case mame64.exe (I'm using version 0.197) but this will work for 32 bit versions and earlier ones as well

neogeo
is the system we're running

-memc
is the command switch to tell mame to load a memory card

"F:\Temp\mame\memcard\neogeocard.mc"
is the path to MY mame directory and the name of the memory card I created. You MUST change this to the values for your machine

-cart1
- is Multislot Slot 1

blazstar
is the roim name for Blazing Star (Again you can load any game in any order just substitute for the rom name of the game you want

Repeat for the rest of the carts

Above it obviously for 4 slots. More or less to load 2 or 6

Forgot to say by default keyboard 3 up top cycles back in game list and keyboard 4 cycles right

Cheers,

Brad

Edited to make it neater and easier to understand

Edited by Brad

• Administrators
Awesome, thanks for the replies.

Will set up a new PC and try it out tonight.

Did you manage to get this going Adam? If not give me a call and I can run you through it

Cheers,

Brad

• Administrators

I just tested with Mame64 Version 0.214 and it worked.

Have you tried just loading a single game by"

from mame dir

mame64.exe nitd

Also did you run:

mame -cc

before doing anything. This is std for after installing mame on a new machine as it create default options for mame such as rom dir etc

Update: read your 1st post and was testing before reading you nailed it. Well done :)

You can now get clever and create a batch file to load it at startup or from a Front End. You can even create a menu to select different cart combinations. If you're REALLY up for a challege you can write a script that will allow you to select the carts to load from a list ;)

Brad

I just tested with Mame64 Version 0.214 and it worked.

Have you tried just loading a single game by"

from mame dir

mame64.exe nitd

Also did you run:

mame -cc

before doing anything. This is std for after installing mame on a new machine as it create default options for mame such as rom dir etc

Update: read your 1st post and was testing before reading you nailed it. Well done :)

You can now get clever and create a batch file to load it at startup or from a Front End. You can even create a menu to select different cart combinations. If you're REALLY up for a challege you can write a script that will allow you to select the carts to load from a list ;)

Brad

I just created the Roms folder manually.

I didn't want the memory card option to load/save games so I've edited the command to...

mame64 neogeo -cart1 mslug -cart2 mslug2 -cart3 mslug3h -cart4 mslug4h -cart5 mslug5h -cart6 mslugx

Works fine without the prompt to load/save games.

I've created a batch file that works.

start c:\mame64

neogeo -cart1 mslug -cart2 mslug2 -cart3 mslug3h -cart4 mslug4h -cart5 mslug5h -cart6 mslugx

I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it but I believe if I drop the batch file into Startup it should run on boot up.

The PC will be going into a Neo Geo 6 slot cab and I want it to work as close as possible to an original setup.

I've also put together the complete set of 270 Neo Geo roms and will upload the setup with the batch file if anyone wants a copy.

The PC was running Windows 10 so I'm doing a reinstall with Win7 as the ATI card isn't fully supported in Windows 10.

The PC needs to output 15KHz and in the past I've just used Soft15KHz, any suggestions for a better solution that is easy to setup and just works? I haven' had to do this type of setup for a while and there may be a better way these days.

The video card is a AMD/ATI Radeon HD5450.

Edited by Kaizen

• Administrators

Dropping the batch file into the start folder will work no problem.

The way you've setup the command is fine and will work without issue, you just cant use the NeoGeo memory card functions which is no big deal imo. The only issue with this method and the one I posted is if you want to change any of the games you need to edit the batch file but again no big deal if you want it to look and feel like a proper NeoGeo multi-slot.

Cheers,

Brad

Yeah, having it work like an original cab (without memory carda) is most important, the games won't be swapped too often and I plan to create a few batch files with different game combinations. Edited by Kaizen