Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Running your first comp & Match Play software advice...

I have been thinking about starting to host a comp in Sydney every couple of months (maybe more frequently if it goes well) and needed some advice....

• 10-12 machines available to be used (3 X Early Solid State Style, 3 X 90's DMD, 4 X Modern Stern's)
  • Ideally the comp would last 3 to 4 hours (is that realistic?)
  • I would like the comp to be IFPA sanctioned
  • Ideally I would like to play in the comp (is that realistic?)
  • How do you set the max number of players?
  • I want the comp to work for a variety of skill levels
  • I am not looking to make money but want to cover costs of 3 trophies, IFPA 1$ fee plus a little margin for maintenance and a $5 donation per player to a charity (ritesofpassageinstitute.org) so was thinking $25 entry. (too high to low?)
  • People will be competing for WPPR's, trophy and glory but no prize money.
  • My preference is for a Match Play style of comp but this might not work with the constraints above.
  • I was thinking running them in the early afternoon on a Sunday
  • I know we are not talking about Pinburgh numbers here but don't want to hassle with running a list of people who have committed then pulling out at the last minute. Is the the best to get people to pay up front online with something like Everbrite or equivalent?
  • What do I need to know to be a tournament director?
  • Where do I learn how to use setup Match Play software? (I have head half the handbook but looks a little complex and daunting so far)

What competition format(s) would be best given all of the above?

Flip Frenzy with max of 20-25 players but will need to get a scorer...?

What did I miss any and all other advice or suggestions are welcomed....

Jason

Setup a dummy test tournament in matchplay. For the most people play 4 player games. So 40 max.

You can do Swiss matchplay. 13 rounds. No finals needed for that.

Swiss means top players play top players gayer the first round.

Or you can do strikes...

Easy to run. Would take 5 or so hours if the machines aren't too easy and the players aren't that good

So much info to give. It would take 1 hour to type out or I can call you later tonight or tomorrow if you want

You are very welcome to come to my place Just north of Coffs any Sunday and join in to see how easy it is. There's accommodation here too.

I've just learnt how to do this in the last couple of months with matchplay coming into it a couple weeks ago. We usually (depending on numbers) run a match play comp with single rounds of groups of three/four with points at the ifpa level of 7/1st, 5/2nd, 3/3rd and 1/4th. First to 28 rests for the finals and is joined by the next three to reach 28.

If you want to extend the time of the heats just make the cutoff higher, they use 32 at Bennies.

Matchplay generates random groups and random machines and i have a tv setup as a monitor that displays the groups etc so the players always know where they should be and what turn they are.

I'm happy to chat too of you'd like to phone just message for the number.

Heres the thread where i learnt the software a couple weeks ago;

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/101580-After-a-Little-Guidance-on-Using-Matchplay

I don’t recommend Swiss, it means that after the players the best are matched with the best and worst with the worst for the rest of the tournament. That means a long tournament with the casual players playing for 15 mins and then waiting an hour or more for the top group to finish. There is lots of waiting around doing nothing with Swiss. Use balanced, or if you must use Swiss use Tiered Swiss.

The exception is a king of the hill 2 player format, then Swiss is best for that. Again, lots of waiting around for the casual players though.

I have been thinking about starting to host a comp in Sydney every couple of months (maybe more frequently if it goes well) and needed some advice....

• 10-12 machines available to be used (3 X Early Solid State Style, 3 X 90's DMD, 4 X Modern Stern's)
  • Ideally the comp would last 3 to 4 hours (is that realistic?)You can vary the time by the number of rounds and if there is a finals. If you do 5 rounds or single game matchplay, top 4 go to finals that should be about 4 hours
  • I would like the comp to be IFPA sanctioned Apply to Dan (@fairdinkumdan) 30 days in advance for approval. He can send you a template to use for this via email
  • Ideally I would like to play in the comp (is that realistic?)I always play when running matchplay or strikes events - cannot with flip frenzy - it's added stress but possible
  • How do you set the max number of players?You advertise how many you want and set up a list on AA or facebook. Then just enter them in matchplay.events on the day
  • I want the comp to work for a variety of skill levelsYou can always separate them into 2 groups to compete against similar levels if you like. Other alternative is everyone does matchplay toghether, then during finals have top group compete against each other, and a separate finals for novice/new players
  • I am not looking to make money but want to cover costs of 3 trophies, IFPA 1$ fee plus a little margin for maintenance and a $5 donation per player to a charity (ritesofpassageinstitute.org) so was thinking $25 entry. (too high to low?)$20 will often cover this
  • People will be competing for WPPR's, trophy and glory but no prize money.
  • My preference is for a Match Play style of comp but this might not work with the constraints above.It will work
  • I was thinking running them in the early afternoon on a Sunday I do a Sunday afternoon comp. Good fun.
  • I know we are not talking about Pinburgh numbers here but don't want to hassle with running a list of people who have committed then pulling out at the last minute. Is the the best to get people to pay up front online with something like Everbrite or equivalent? you can but they will take a percentage of the fees. Don't worry if they pull out - just have some 3 player groups if needed. people will pull out even if they have paid in advance.
  • What do I need to know to be a tournament director? access to tournament rules, or a friend who knows them, or a phone number of someone who does and can help, plus basic knowledge of how to retrieve stuck balls, do running repairs
  • Where do I learn how to use setup Match Play software? (I have head half the handbook but looks a little complex and daunting so far)ask someone is easiest, it's pretty easy after a few time - and like Ryan said, so some dummy runs first

What competition format(s) would be best given all of the above? Group knock outs (strikes) or matchplay is fine.

Flip Frenzy with max of 20-25 players but will need to get a scorer...?Yes, separate scorer and ball retriever needed

What did I miss any and all other advice or suggestions are welcomed....

Jason

Hope this helps.

Agree with pretty much everything John said up there. because i don't do IFPA comps yet i don't charge any money to play.

It's all free including lunch. Costs me $20 or $30 to feed people and everyone keeps saying charge money to cover costs.

To me it's not worth regaining a few dollars, if it costs me $50 for food and a couple of $5 prizes all goiod. If people have paid that means they have a right to complain.

You get enough 'feedback' even when you don't charge.

I'm sure it would be different if there were 50 people here.