Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Anyone had thin white lines across the top and left side of monitor?

chaos199

Question

I have an LAI NEO-GEO 6 slot cabinet with Kortek KTX-26 monitor. I have had it stored in garage for last 15 years and don't remember the condition it was in because I suffered memory loss in car accident 15 years ago. I just found the fuse on the chassis was blown and the largest eletro cap (680uf 200V) was missing. I replaced those and the monitor turns on but there is thin bright lines across the top 5 cm and left side (about 7-8 lines for both). I have tried 3 game PCB's and it makes no difference so I assume it is related to either the monitor or chassis.

I have never adjusted convergence rings so I read my monitor manual and none of all the adjustments I read seem to relate to my issue so I have no idea what is causing it and where to look. I don't even know if it has deteriorated from being left in garage for 15 years. I would much appreciate any advice.

(the problem with the pic of scrambled graphics is another problem I'll mention later but it still shows the thin bright lines)

neo 1-640x480.jpg

5 answers to this question

It will probably be an electrolytic capacitor in the frame circuit. Near where the yoke plugs to chassis.

Sometimes you can use a hairdryer and freeze spray to isolate the dodgy cap/s.

Be careful around 240V

If not sure best send to Jomac

I've not seen this with an arcade monitor but I have seen it with a TV when the HPOS/VPOS are adjusted way too far, and in those cases it's basically just the pic looping back on itself. Not sure if that's what's happening here? If you could get to the crosshatch it might be more obvious.

How do you use a hairdryer and freeze spray for caps, I have never heard of this. All the electro caps look fine visually with no sign of damage but internally is unknown yet. Will a uF test isolate the dodgy caps or is it something a DMM won't detect which cap is causing this flaw?

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried adjustments on the monitor chassis? Vertical/Horizontal Position or Vertical/Horizontal size would be the ones that I'd try.

Thanks for advice but I already tried every adjustment thoroughly

Every arcade backyarder should build or buy themselves an ESR meter. You can then determine the condition of your caps in all sorts of electronics. Silicon chip's kit is well worth building. I think i ordered through altronics for around $100 and built it in a few hours.

Regarding the hairspray / freeze spray, he's talking about heating / cooling the caps to see if it fixes the problem, helping to identify which are problematic.

A capacitance test will only tell you the capacitance. You want to find out the Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) which a DMM won't tell you.