Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Trying to fix Mame Cabinet

Termophilus

Question

QuoteQuote

ModifyModify

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to fix a Mame cabinet of a friend of mine.

Its a PC with an usb receiver and two joystick cabled in an old arcade

cabinet, working on Windows 7 and Mame. Some time ago a failure in the

power supply fried all the old motherboard usb ports, so we changed

the power supply and the motherboard, but now the two joysticks aren't working

anymore, the system don't recognize them. It recognize correcly the usb

receiver and all the buttons which are cabled to it, instead the two joysticks which

are cabled separately and have two distinct board connected with usb ports seems

dead, except the fact that are receiving the power because the two led on the board

lights up. At first I tought that the joystick boards have connections to the usb receiver, but as I understand

now, I don't think it work this way, because the receiver needs one connection for every single input,

or so I think after watching some material online. I don't know exactly what type of boards I'm dealing with, so I think

I could misunderstand the general functioning. I attach two photos of the cabinet inside, so if

someone can help me undestand it better or have suggestions on how to riprstinate it, I will be very

grateful. Thanks

ffef5bca-cd21-4232-a3fc-960783c49b61.JPG

01638183-175c-47a0-a183-070dfdb9ddcc.JPG

5 answers to this question

QuoteQuote

ModifyModify

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to fix a Mame cabinet of a friend of mine.

Its a PC with an usb receiver and two joystick cabled in an old arcade

cabinet, working on Windows 7 and Mame. Some time ago a failure in the

power supply fried all the old motherboard usb ports, so we changed

the power supply and the motherboard, but now the two joysticks aren't working

anymore, the system don't recognize them. It recognize correcly the usb

receiver and all the buttons which are cabled to it, instead the two joysticks which

are cabled separately and have two distinct board connected with usb ports seems

dead, except the fact that are receiving the power because the two led on the board

lights up. At first I tought that the joystick boards have connections to the usb receiver, but as I understand

now, I don't think it work this way, because the receiver needs one connection for every single input,

or so I think after watching some material online. I don't know exactly what type of boards I'm dealing with, so I think

I could misunderstand the general functioning. I attach two photos of the cabinet inside, so if

someone can help me undestand it better or have suggestions on how to riprstinate it, I will be very

grateful. Thanks

You would be wise to install a proper arcade controller board - Then if needed remap the controls in Mame.

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

Hi, the 2 boards look like old game contollers that have been dismantled & hacked for the purpose.

These days it's easier to use either:

zero delay usb contollers x 2

Xinmo 2 player controller x 1 (usb connection)

or Ipac as ozfalcon said

The reason it's not working is not clear perhaps they got damaged during the PSU failure or maybe require a specific driver, some of those early USB devices could be a bit hit & miss I remember having an 8 button one that worked on some motherboards but not others.

• Administrators

Yep, definitely old gamepad hacks.

Turf them and get encoders or ipacs as stated

Have you gone to Control Panel Game Controllers and verified that Windows sees them? If not they're toast. If Windows DOES see them then you need to go into Mame and map the default controls

Brad

As stated they are 2 usb controller hacks worth doing 15 years ago before the keyboard encoders come down in price

you would be best to use something like this

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultimarc-I-Pac-USB-PS-2-Arcade-Keyboard-Encoder-New-Ultimarc-USB-PS-2-Cable/254379797371?hash=item3b3a37ab7b:g:NtwAAOSwGR5dakHe&frcectupt=true