Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb Royal Flush Repair Question

punkin

Question

Hi all, as most of you know i'm on a steep learning curve for my new found love, pinballs.

I on;ly have one EM so far, and have no idea how the work yet.

A player noticed the machine 'idling' when no games were being played on the weekend and let me know. i looked under the playfield and it's this wheel contraption like the one in the back box, turning all the time on stand by.

It's got 4 switch banks on top and more of the buggers underneath. I don't know what it's suppossed to do or how to adjust it.

All advice is welcome and i have pics of the switches close up if needed. If a link to a procedure for servicing the mechanism is around that would do nicely.

rf1.jpg.96ef344670065cd50d5a786895758e56.jpg

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

by manually moving the plunger (quickly) you can move the reel to different number positions and compare the switch positions on the reel to what they should be as shown on the chart. Also you need to be sure you are looking at the correct wheel on the chart for your manufacturer/era of game

Sent from my SM-A520F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I don't know where the plunger is? The machine is a Gottleib but not a decadon one as far as i can tell. I also don't know how the switches could have changed? All i did was lift the playfield and i heard a couple of tings a couple times as the machine did something by itself.

Guess i'll have to pay someone to show me how to do it.

oops .. google "EM Pinball score reels explained" on utube

Sent from my SM-A520F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Just playing a game on this machine and the right flipper stopped responding. The switch still makes the buzzing sound when held down that it was when the flipper was up before and there is a spark when the switch is activated but the flipper itself doesn't move. is that a coil?

- - - Updated - - -

Cancel that, broken roll pin on the linkage.

- - - Updated - - -

Cancel that, broken roll pin on the linkage.

- - - Updated - - -

Now the score reel for player 2 is playing up. It's starting a new game on a random '000 number. Was showing 6k and then i played a two player game, started a 1 player and the 2nd reel only went back to 8.

Can someone share a link to a guide or article that shows me how to not damage anything when trying to look at the reels?

Bugger! I will give you a call later on today.

I had this issue with my Top Score, What happens is the old score reel switches just loose their tension and no amount of adjustment will be a reliable fix. The solution to Top score was brand new switch assemblies for the offending score reels & the game has been rock solid since the new switches were installed.

I had this issue with my Top Score, What happens is the old score reel switches just loose their tension and no amount of adjustment will be a reliable fix. The solution to Top score was brand new switch assemblies for the offending score reels & the game has been rock solid since the new switches were installed.

Not starting anything here but don't believe this to be true, IMO.

You should be able to get at least a half to a full turn and a half on all screws on all switch set ups.

The long leaf of each switch that pokes out through the plastic bracket, the one that pulls in then opens, needs to have correct tension opposing the 'pull in' of the coil.

And the spring on the coil needs to be okay, and it should if it hasn't been fiddled with.....even after all these years.

This goes for all of the switches.

You can easily see prior to and after tightening the screws the gaps between switches change.

So ideally you tighten every screw, then check that each long switch blade is pushing 'open', being against the plastic in its slot.

So the long leaf blades are opposing the spring.

You can do all this manually and it's relatively easy, again, just my opinion.

Once you have adjusted the lost of tension and corrected the gap after 40 years of use it should give you another 40 years of reliable use.

I personally do this for every switch on an EM.

Once you get in start seeing how it all works, and hopefully you do and enjoy it at the same time, it will make sense.

The first EM I saw the inside of was a Williams Hayburners, and the first prominent thing was the beautiful smell, then I just wanted to know how it all worked.

Thanks guys i've talked a mate into coming and showing me how to do it for a couple of cartons. Once i know i think i'll be right but with something this foreigm\n to me i think i'll have to be shown (sober) first.

I too always tighten the screws first, What my issue was you'd get it adjusted and working perfectly but the very next day same problem was back. Since replacing the switches I haven't had the back off since, Top Score hasn't missed a beat.

That's cool, I din't want others reading the thread thinking they needed to buy stuff when they might not. In your case it appears so.

I don't know what parts i need yet, was just advised to buy a switch adjusting tool is all.

I do appreciate all the help from you guys. It's the difference tween giving up and learning.

In this case i'm giving up till shown, but i AM learning.

Pulled the flipper to bits on Lost World the other day. Researched the problem and found that the advice i got was most probably correct. Researched and found the part that i needed then found someone who actually had them in stock and ordered. Hopefully i'll be able to solder the new coil in (do the come with the parts on them like the little board and resistor?) and get it going again.

The EM's are a steeper curve again, but i'm sure i'll get there with your help.

the PBL one

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/ulat.html

the gtb / pbr one

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/l-shaped.html

which ones better? honestly i use ( and regularly lose) both .. they're both sometimes "just right" for odd switches.

ps...i have proven painting them hot pink wont help you not lose them in the bottom of games

• Administrators

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/l-shaped.html

which ones better? honestly i use ( and regularly lose) both .. they're both sometimes "just right" for odd switches.

ps...i have proven painting them hot pink wont help you not lose them in the bottom of games

I bought this one and love it!

Brad

I appear to be having a similar issue with my Royal Flush.

First problem was the 2nd player score would not reset at the start of a new game and now compounded with the score motor in the cabinet running non stop and cannot start a new game.

i will read the thread with interest and look at suggestions previously posted.

I appear to be having a similar issue with my Royal Flush.

First problem was the 2nd player score would not reset at the start of a new game and now compounded with the score motor in the cabinet running non stop and cannot start a new game.

i will read the thread with interest and look at suggestions previously posted.

The fix for the constant on mine was suggested here (done it twice now) and it was just to use something soft to wobble the reels back and forth a little from behind.