Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New Chicago Coin Funland Rifle resto

Hi Guys,

OK... Here is the story of our new Funland..

Pics will follow...

My father just picked up a fairly distressed CCI Funland rifle.

By the looks of it, it has been underwater (flood victim?) some time in the past, so there is a lot of corrosion and the ply sides have blown out.

It semi powers up, some lights flash, the machine tries to return to the home position and the rifle knocker solenoid continually fires.

Parts of the target section is covered in a thin layer of a fine silt and light rust, but it is in surprisingly good condition. the paper targets are tatty, but the plastics are cleaning up well.

Now, due to my background in electronics, it has fallen to me to get it running.

I did an apprenticeship repairing EM and electronic cash registers in the mid 80s, so even though I haven't touched anything EM for 30 years or so, this seems somewhat familiar. :)

I have started to pull the target section apart and cleaning it up as I go.

Now here are the questions. :-)

1. Does anyone have an copy of the schematics they could send me?

I have ordered a manual and schematics from the US but they will be a couple of weeks away, and I would like some voltages so I can bench test the motors and solenoids to see if they work.

2. In the bottom of the case, there is couple of circuit boards that have motor driven wipers run over them.

On one of the boards, a track is badly corroded/missing where the wiper runs.

20190925_155730.thumb.jpg.3f1ec913a9540b665def333dce72f7a3.jpg20190925_155736.thumb.jpg.ff2dd46c7a2f4159c74abdb04bad529b.jpg

Is there a preferred method to repair this type of damage? I can't seem to find any replacement parts online.

I'm unsure if the stick on copper tape would stand up to the wear.

The board is very simple, so would getting a PCB prototyping mob to create one be an option?

Even so I think wear would still be an issue on the bare copper tracks. Nickel plating???

Cheers,

Brett

this was the game on bridie island? glad somebody is going to save it and look forward to resto.

Yeah, i reckon it would be the one that you are talking about...

He picked it up from somewhere in the Bribie/Bongaree area.

Its pretty rough. Hopefully, I can do it justice and get it going.

These EM machines are pretty amazing with what they manage to do with just motors, switches and solenoids.

Cheers,

Brett

regarding question 2.......

just my opinion, but I believe for longevity and performance, get another made.

the plating option....if you were able to replace the worn out areas with an electrically conductive 'substance', the plating to use would be acid copper as opposed to nickel.

the acid copper will build up fairly evenly but you would have to sand it back and plate again etc. to get a uniform flat trace, like it once was.

I imagine the cost and time would way exceed getting a new one made, and wouldn't be as new.

@Wosat I have a working machine, manual & schematics for it, I also have some NOS coils for it too.

OK. Cool. Good to know.

I'm sure that I will be picking your brains then at sometime. :-)

Is the manual/schematics for sale or can I get a copy somehow?

I will be pretty slow and steady with this..... Its a a basket case.

The case needs new sides and the front panel is buggered too.

I'm off to Jaycar tomorrow to get a PCB etching kit so I can have a play. :-)

Cheers

Edited by Wosat

As promised, here are some pics so you know what I am dealing with. :-)

As I said, It will take a while. :blink:

Just FYI, the brown stuff on the panel near the the bell is silt. :-P

20190927_155808.thumb.jpg.15d840fa079dc2640f44545b05421d5b.jpg

20190927_155753.thumb.jpg.33a743c1544755158f3f0472f28cd5eb.jpg

20190927_160235.thumb.jpg.b4e22a375e71de5fbbbbdb39411f1fab.jpg

20190927_155854.thumb.jpg.f2aee65ef832d39b75c1e70c0867ff60.jpg

20190927_160018.thumb.jpg.52cda03f9a2b101dcfcc5cc600f065ce.jpg

20190927_155832.thumb.jpg.f4a91f56f6e35cb440aae9ae073d58a2.jpg

Edited by Wosat

Just to motivate you-

That Funland rifle machine looks pretty sweet all you need now is a Funland pinball machine like the one I’m restoring at the moment to sit next to it, I’d absolutely love to get a Funland rifle game to sit next to my machine but you never see them for sale in Australia, I wouldn’t mind seeing how available they are in the States when I get around to finishing a few projects I’m doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...