Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Help with Playfield cleaning and repair

Hi All

I have a 1979 Gottlieb Incredible Hulk that over time I would like to fixup. The game is working but the playfield and cabinet needs some work.

So what I am asking 1st is what is good to clean the playfield and maybe a good protection to use

Some say car wax,liquid car polish,Mr sheen.

Your thoughts on what to use or not to use.?

Cheers

SS Dave

This topic tends to cause lots of discussion, but my basic routine for cleaning up a playfield is:

Vacuum with small brush nozzle

Microfibre cloth

Naptha

Beyond that you're starting to look at abrasives:

Novus #2

Novus #3 if it's really bad

Magic Eraser

Note: All of these can remove whatever topcoat protection is above the paint if used aggressively. Less is more. Sometimes the ball swirls are in the top coat so unless you're prepared to clearcoat, it's just something to deal with IMHO.

Nathpa will remove all the wax so after cleaning you need wax. Like @wiredoug I use:

SCA_3671_hi-res.jpg?sw=1000&sh=1000&sm=fit

Things to avoid:

As mensioned above, overuse of abrasives

Anything water based can raise the grain in the wood and cause planking

Anything with silicone in it can cause issues later if you attempt to clearcoat the playfield - this includes at least some Mr Sheen variants.

Also, I don't frequently clean playfields. Once when they come into the house usually, then I pretty well only do the vacuum, cloth and wax from then on.