Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Zaccaria Troubleshooting

HighTower

Question

Hey guys,

I've got a Hot Wheels sitting here I've fired up to restore. It powers up but doesn't start, the GI lights up and there's a small flicker on the Player 1 score but that's it. Since I've not worked on any Zacs before I'm really at a loss what to do, any help our guidance would be much appreciated!

So far I've done a few minor things and tests including... Thanks @Gibbo for directing me to the Zaccaria help site!

Replacing all the fuses

Resoldered connectors on the power board

Resoldering new fuse holders in the cabinet

I checked the output transformer voltages at CN1 and they seem relatively stable, albeit slightly up on the nominal voltages.

[Wire] - [Nominal Voltage] : [DMM Measured Voltage]

Red - 165V : 193.5V

Blue - 43V : 49.8V

White/Green - 7.5V : 9.2V

Yellow - 10.5V : 12.3V

Brown - 10.5V : 12.3V

Black - 15V : 17.7V

White- 7.5V : 9.2V

Next on the list to check, was to reconnect CN1 and disconnect all the output CN on the power board and check the test points on the board.

[TP] - [Nominal Voltage] : [DMM Measured Voltage]

TP1 - 170V : 266.9V *** ISSUE OVER VOLTAGE ***

TP2 - 5.3V : 6.8V

TP3 - 12V : 11.9V

TP4 - 5.4V : 0.6V *** ISSUE UNDER VOLTAGE ***

TP5 - -5V : -5V

TP6 - 39V : 43.4V

Albeit my lack of knowledge about Zaccarias, I'd suggest there is an issue somewhere on the powerboard given the results of TP1 and TP4.

Any suggestions from people where to head next, in terms of which components to replace or further test?

8 answers to this question

• Administrators

The high voltage uses a similar circuit to old Ballys, parts are readily available. You probably got a shorted transistor or two.

Have you got a pic of the board? I think the gen 1's had the power monitoring circuit at the top of the board.

• Administrators

You don't need a load to get the correct voltage on these.

If adjusting pot in the top right doesn't bring the voltage down you'll need to replace those two tin can looking transistors and the one on the heat sink. Check for any burnt resistors in that area as well.

That tranny on the smaller rectangle heat sink isn't right for starts, should be a TO3 case.
Are you sure?

All the other Zac power boards I've seen dont have a TO3 on the smaller heat sink [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Are you sure?

All the other Zac power boards I've seen dont have a TO3 on the smaller heat sink [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

No i'm wrong I just reviewed some Zac photos. It Not! Just looked wrong due to it being such a large heatsink. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

This might help you.

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen1/powersupply.html