Thread: STTNG Shooter/coin door issue

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    565 Post(s)

STTNG Shooter/coin door issue

I have now encountered a problem after I restored the inside of STTNG cabinet.

The gun trigger is not working but the right flipper now activates the ball launch and shoots the ball from the canons. I think this is a function the machine defaults to, when the trigger fails to work, to allow for games to still be played.

The coin door open/closed switch is also not working. So the machine thinks the coin door is always open.

Upon start up, the display states, ‘TEST REPORT’ and ‘CHECK SWITCH 12, CONTROL GRIP’. In switch test mode, the coin door closed switch doesn't function as stated above. These two switches are on the same switch row on the switch matrix but all the other switches on this row work fine.

IMG_5637.jpgIMG_5638.jpg

switch matrix.jpg

IMG_5636 2.jpgIMG_5634 2.jpg

What have I done to cause this? I have no idea. I removed the playfield and placed it beside the cabinet. I then removed all inside cabinet parts and cleaned up/restored same. I then re-installed all parts identical to how they were.

The headbox and all boards/connectors looms inside were not touched and all fuses ok.

I have used the multi-meter and checked continuity for ALL wires, both switches and the small connector from the trigger micro switch, that are fine.

I have visually inspected all wires and compared what the cabinet looks like now to all original photographs. It is identical.

I have checked the connecters on the boards in the headbox and re-seated the relevant one (J209).

I have also done the same with the small PCB inside the cabinet.

I have performed a factory reset too, and now the ‘CHECK SWITCH 12, CONTROL GRIP’ does not show up at the start under 'Test Report'.

I cannot work out for the life of me what the issue is and am out of ideas to check.

Can anyone assist or suggest what it could be or what should I check next?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    850 Post(s)
    Is the coin door switch on the matrix or dedicated??

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    565 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Is the coin door switch on the matrix or dedicated??
    I assume the matrix as it's listed on the switch matrix (switch 22)

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1367 Post(s)
    Put her in switch level test and see if any switches that are supposed to be open are closed. You may have a switch the wrong way around. Something like that has happened because the switch edges test has seen an error straight away rather than after 50 balls before recording the error.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    565 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
    Put her in switch level test and see if any switches that are supposed to be open are closed. You may have a switch the wrong way around. Something like that has happened because the switch edges test has seen an error straight away rather than after 50 balls before recording the error.
    Will give that a go. All wires on the switches I removed and re-installed inside the cab are the correct way round with correct colour wires but will give it a go.

The problem I have is I've spent over 4 hours trying to work this problem out, so imagine how much money I'll be paying a pinball tech to attend my house to try and work it out?

Just checked - nope, still same problem. Thanks heaps for suggestion and appreciate your time reading Steve.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1351 Post(s)
    You said the row 1 switches are working. Are the switches in the column 2 working? Check the white red wire at switch 32 opto sw2 "Under L Gun" if its intact if all other switches in row 1 are working. Then check continuity of Row 1 Green/ Brown to Buy In button "11" to right fire button and also row 2 Green/ red to door interlock switch. See if switches in Row 2 after interlock switch work if they dont not it may be the U2 IC, A quick way of testing is through switch edge test otherwise with a diode check direct from the CPU to ground and that will tell you if your fault is in IC U20 or U 18 on the CPU fault or if it's a physical switch or wire break. IC's can fault in one or more transistors giving a false sense that the fault is on the play field but generally caused by shorting out on the play field. My post sounds confusing but if you understand the switch matrix it should make sense to you.
    Last edited by hotty; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:07 PM.

State
    Townsville
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    793 Post(s)
    Try and disconnect switches 21 and 22 one at a time separately in switch test. See if that makes any difference and if either of them change behaviour. Given they are both cab switches and the rest in the row are playfield switches I still reckon it is likely to be a wiring or connector issue somewhere.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1367 Post(s)
    Make sure the buy in button and right fire button are correct in switch test. I'm thinking more the buy in but if your error is showing up as switch 22 and you find no issues with that switch start working your way out from that switch in the matrix checking them all manually with the switch test as your guide. Check for switches jammed on, diodes causing shorts, terminals shorted to ground or switches not changing state when you know you are working them and you can feel the switch definitely clicking.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1351 Post(s)
    I guess you can't pull your hair out on this one

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    Dropped past today thinking the idiot has missed something simple as thatís as far as my skills go , but no heís gone and bought a multi meter taught himself how to use it , very impressed as I bought a multi years ago and itís still in its box ,next guess is a bad diode as Steve states , got heaps here if you want to swap yours over canít hurt to try

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hotty View Post
    nuts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hotty View Post
    nuts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information