Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

STTNG Shooter/coin door issue

Glenn70

Question

I have now encountered a problem after I restored the inside of STTNG cabinet.

The gun trigger is not working but the right flipper now activates the ball launch and shoots the ball from the canons. I think this is a function the machine defaults to, when the trigger fails to work, to allow for games to still be played.

The coin door open/closed switch is also not working. So the machine thinks the coin door is always open.

Upon start up, the display states, ‘TEST REPORT’ and ‘CHECK SWITCH 12, CONTROL GRIP’. In switch test mode, the coin door closed switch doesn't function as stated above. These two switches are on the same switch row on the switch matrix but all the other switches on this row work fine.

IMG_5637.thumb.jpg.d191e04ee6d5d0b00e7efe3daec49042.jpgIMG_5638.thumb.jpg.974924726ff0038383a283d8e43d23b6.jpg

1193197384_switchmatrix.thumb.jpg.f30c40dcf3cfd4c3c5fad0f247248e51.jpg

1246777941_IMG_56362.thumb.jpg.f5253a55036c3e2bb2e1616fde6a3eab.jpg404674842_IMG_56342.thumb.jpg.9f96ab222c1482b200e72ffd31a7a545.jpg

What have I done to cause this? I have no idea. I removed the playfield and placed it beside the cabinet. I then removed all inside cabinet parts and cleaned up/restored same. I then re-installed all parts identical to how they were.

The headbox and all boards/connectors looms inside were not touched and all fuses ok.

I have used the multi-meter and checked continuity for ALL wires, both switches and the small connector from the trigger micro switch, that are fine.

I have visually inspected all wires and compared what the cabinet looks like now to all original photographs. It is identical.

I have checked the connecters on the boards in the headbox and re-seated the relevant one (J209).

I have also done the same with the small PCB inside the cabinet.

I have performed a factory reset too, and now the ‘CHECK SWITCH 12, CONTROL GRIP’ does not show up at the start under 'Test Report'.

I cannot work out for the life of me what the issue is and am out of ideas to check.

Can anyone assist or suggest what it could be or what should I check next?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

15 answers to this question

Put her in switch level test and see if any switches that are supposed to be open are closed. You may have a switch the wrong way around. Something like that has happened because the switch edges test has seen an error straight away rather than after 50 balls before recording the error.

Put her in switch level test and see if any switches that are supposed to be open are closed. You may have a switch the wrong way around. Something like that has happened because the switch edges test has seen an error straight away rather than after 50 balls before recording the error.

Will give that a go. All wires on the switches I removed and re-installed inside the cab are the correct way round with correct colour wires but will give it a go.

The problem I have is I've spent over 4 hours trying to work this problem out, so imagine how much money I'll be paying a pinball tech to attend my house to try and work it out?

Just checked - nope, still same problem. Thanks heaps for suggestion and appreciate your time reading Steve.

You said the row 1 switches are working. Are the switches in the column 2 working? Check the white red wire at switch 32 opto sw2 "Under L Gun" if its intact if all other switches in row 1 are working. Then check continuity of Row 1 Green/ Brown to Buy In button "11" to right fire button and also row 2 Green/ red to door interlock switch. See if switches in Row 2 after interlock switch work if they dont not it may be the U2 IC, A quick way of testing is through switch edge test otherwise with a diode check direct from the CPU to ground and that will tell you if your fault is in IC U20 or U 18 on the CPU fault or if it's a physical switch or wire break. IC's can fault in one or more transistors giving a false sense that the fault is on the play field but generally caused by shorting out on the play field. My post sounds confusing but if you understand the switch matrix it should make sense to you. Edited by hotty

Try and disconnect switches 21 and 22 one at a time separately in switch test. See if that makes any difference and if either of them change behaviour. Given they are both cab switches and the rest in the row are playfield switches I still reckon it is likely to be a wiring or connector issue somewhere.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Make sure the buy in button and right fire button are correct in switch test. I'm thinking more the buy in but if your error is showing up as switch 22 and you find no issues with that switch start working your way out from that switch in the matrix checking them all manually with the switch test as your guide. Check for switches jammed on, diodes causing shorts, terminals shorted to ground or switches not changing state when you know you are working them and you can feel the switch definitely clicking.

Dropped past today thinking the idiot has missed something simple as that’s as far as my skills go , but no he’s gone and bought a multi meter taught himself how to use it , very impressed as I bought a multi years ago and it’s still in its box ,next guess is a bad diode as Steve states , got heaps here if you want to swap yours over can’t hurt to try

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you can't pull your hair out on this one:p
nuts

- - - Updated - - -

nuts

Nope, having kids caused that issue.

- - - Updated - - -

You said the row 1 switches are working. Are the switches in the column 2 working? Check the white red wire at switch 32 opto sw2 "Under L Gun" if its intact if all other switches in row 1 are working. Then check continuity of Row 1 Green/ Brown to Buy In button "11" to right fire button and also row 2 Green/ red to door interlock switch. See if switches in Row 2 after interlock switch work if they dont not it may be the U2 IC, A quick way of testing is through switch edge test otherwise with a diode check direct from the CPU to ground and that will tell you if your fault is in IC U20 or U 18 on the CPU fault or if it's a physical switch or wire break. IC's can fault in one or more transistors giving a false sense that the fault is on the play field but generally caused by shorting out on the play field. My post sounds confusing but if you understand the switch matrix it should make sense to you.

Every switch on the machine is working accept for 12 (gun trigger) and 22 (coin door closed).

And I have not changed anything from the way it was before the inside cab restore to afterwards.

I cannot understand how something so minor in 2 x switches not working can consume so much of my time and shit me off so much. It's times like this I wanna take to the machine with a baseball bat!

- - - Updated - - -

Try and disconnect switches 21 and 22 one at a time separately in switch test. See if that makes any difference and if either of them change behaviour. Given they are both cab switches and the rest in the row are playfield switches I still reckon it is likely to be a wiring or connector issue somewhere.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Will try this and other suggestions tomorrow morning. Thanks Rob and others. Much appreciated. I just wanna figure it out as it's turned into a game between the machine and me and I must defeat it. The same feeling I get after playing GB!

- - - Updated - - -

It could be a diode as it's obviously something small causing the issue that I cannot see.

- - - Updated - - -

Then check continuity of Row 1 Green/ Brown to Buy In button "11" to right fire button and also row 2 Green/ red to door interlock switch.
Yep did this this arvo when @newy16216 was here.

- - - Updated - - -

Well worth watching...

Now I am really confused. Interesting indeed. Got to get my head around the electronics side of it........

If all switches work except 12 and 22 then its likely a physical issue with them or a wire, possibly a diode but to check that unplug the wire off the switch and test the diode and switch action altogether. if it were a matrix issue between the white/red j209 then all switches in row 2 shouldn't work. Look at switch 32 and work back from there. If your going to use a continuity test unplug J207 and J209 from the board first. Then put your leads on plug pins J 207 pin 1 and J 209 pin 2, see if you get continuity and switching by activating the switch if not reverse leads cos of diode then do the same with J 207 pin 2 and J 209 pin 2. If all is ok then do this test in switch test on the DMD with plugs installed. Use a methodical approach. But using a diode on a lead across the CPU of both J207 and J209 is the best test as it will show where your issue is.

Mate you have checked in the backbox j207 and j209 to see if you yanked out a wire or two or displaced the plugs a little? Take them out and look at them and reseat.

Yes done that mate & all good.

Problem still exists.

Edited by Glenn70

A big thank you to all that replied but problem solved with some paid assistance. It was a white/red wire in the J7 connector on the coin door board. Although the wire appeared in the connector all the way, it was loose. It was removed, cut and re-inserted using a PANCON tool. Fixed the issue and other small issues we found. Machine now all good.