Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

House of the Dead Lightgun Issue

Berty

Question

I have a Japanese House of the Dead SD machine that is having issues. In game, the guns are not registering. Every trigger pull results in a reload, no matter where the guns are pointed. Voltage to the guns is good. Default settings selected in the test menu.

When I'm in the gun position menu item, the guns both track horizontally, but the vertical value is just rolling as per the video.

I've tried a second set of guns and had the same issue. Power supply has also been rebuilt. I note though that this started happenning after I swapped a tube. I've gone through the typical screen calibration setup but am still having issues. I spotted a KLOV post that describes the same issue, but no fix is posted.

Any ideas?

14 answers to this question

House of the Dead Lightgun Issue

So these guns work the same way that old Nintendo ones did?

Not sure if this is even remotely useful but saw this the other day that talked about similar registration issues with modern tvs.

That rolling may be the clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Koops

Gun io board is playing up;)

I don't believe so. Jomac sent me one of his working ones.

- - - Updated - - -

So these guns work the same way that old Nintendo ones did?

Not sure if this is even remotely useful but saw this the other day that talked about similar registration issues with modern tvs.

That rolling may be the clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks like a really good long-term solution. I'm annoyed that there still isn't a good replacement for the good old 4:3 29 inch CRT.

My aim is to keep as much as my personal collection original... for as long as possible.

Mate the purity on that monitor is not good enough for the guns to work , the white needs to be pure white but in your video is clearly very patchy.

It is worse on the top right quarter of the screen and where the site starts jumping all over the place.

Also with house of the dead the Video output from the game board goes to the gun board and then to the monitor, if the board is connected straight to the monitor you will get a picture but it will never calibrate because the gun board needs a Sync reference.

You also mention Hitachi tube ? the MS9 chassis should only be on a Toshiba tube.

Mate the purity on that monitor is not good enough for the guns to work , the white needs to be pure white but in your video is clearly very patchy.

It is worse on the top right quarter of the screen and where the site starts jumping all over the place.

Thanks Jomac - yes this is tube #3 . I've had a go at adjusting the purity, but I get the feeling that all of the tubes I have are tired.

Also with house of the dead the Video output from the game board goes to the gun board and then to the monitor, if the board is connected straight to the monitor you will get a picture but it will never calibrate because the gun board needs a Sync reference.

In this video, the signal is plugged in to the gun board and then running to the monitor. All I've done is remove the screen from the cab so I can better access the pots for adjustment.

You also mention Hitachi tube? the MS9 chassis should only be on a Toshiba tube.

Sorry - Toshiba tube. It's the A68KJU96X.

The only other thing that I haven't mentioned is that I didn't change the yoke over to the new tube. I didn't think I would need to given that it's the same tube. I did spot some minor variation in the yoke from the original tube.

Is this a Sega House of the Dead arcade or a console? Sorry if this question is ridiculous but if it is an arcade, the gun sensing is done by the IR transmitters around the tube in the cabinet and doesn't use the tube at all. These sensors give an X Y axis the gun receiver sees. Great while they work well but one or two transmitters not working and you get that jumping around when trying to adjust the gun in calibration mode.

Is this a Sega House of the Dead arcade or a console? Sorry if this question is ridiculous but if it is an arcade, the gun sensing is done by the IR transmitters around the tube in the cabinet and doesn't use the tube at all. These sensors give an X Y axis the gun receiver sees. Great while they work well but one or two transmitters not working and you get that jumping around when trying to adjust the gun in calibration mode.
Early arcade light guns used ir sensors?

I love my light guns, always thought hod was shit and worse than the Xbox version. Makes sense now.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Early arcade light guns used ir sensors?

I love my light guns, always thought hod was shit and worse than the Xbox version. Makes sense now.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Sega had a few and they all hated fluro light. There was about 18 sensors set in the monitor surround, depending on screen size. A stupid idea but they did earn pretty good money when everything was working and there was no fluros nearby.

Howdy - This is the arcade version of The House of the Dead. The original HOTD does not use IR sensors. It's similar to Virtua Cop 2 in that it uses the Sega Type 1 Guns. IR Sensors were introduced for Model 3, Naomi and beyond.

Sorry, my bad. Jurassic Park had them and it was forever suffering from dead transmitters. Supply of replacements was also an issue as everybody was after them when the machine was earning good coin. They weren't cheap either.

Hard enough keeping the guns working on light gun arcade machines with them always being dropped or pulled without adding more unreliable parts in the system.