Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My name showed when dialing my number FROM a new phone

I was setting up a new Samsung S9+ for a new employee today, but I wasn't told his number. I'm usually told the number when setting up new phones at work.

So I decided to call myself as it was the quickest option to find out the number as I'm not familiar with Androids' settings (I'm an iphone user).

Something strange happened :blink:... As soon as I pressed call, my name came up on the new phone (above or below) my number that I dialed. Keep in mind I had just turned on the phone and set it up as a new phone (not transferred details from an old phone). It had no contacts setup and I hadn't even setup a google account or logged into any other service.

I mentioned this to another coworker who explained that Hiya must be active as it's now in the Caller Id settings. He then went through the phone and found that it was indeed switched on.

WTF is Hiya?? I rang my number from a new phone and my name showed up on the new phone. How TF does Hiya have my name and number???

Anyone else seen this and know of this Hiya? I went to the website but it doesn't mention anything about my situation. It just mentions it's for stopping spam and robo calls.

Caller Profiles

Our global database of comprehensive caller profile information provides meaningful insight into who is calling.

Am I in their 'global database'? I thought this would be for when you receive calls, not make them to an unknown number :unsure

I was setting up a new Samsung S9+ for a new employee today, but I wasn't told his number. I'm usually told the number when setting up new phones at work.

So I decided to call myself as it was the quickest option to find out the number as I'm not familiar with Androids' settings (I'm an iphone user).

Something strange happened :blink:... As soon as I pressed call, my name came up on the new phone (above or below) my number that I dialed. Keep in mind I had just turned on the phone and set it up as a new phone (not transferred details from an old phone). It had no contacts setup and I hadn't even setup a google account or logged into any other service.

I mentioned this to another coworker who explained that Hiya must be active as it's now in the Caller Id settings. He then went through the phone and found that it was indeed switched on.

WTF is Hiya?? I rang my number from a new phone and my name showed up on the new phone. How TF does Hiya have my name and number???

Anyone else seen this and know of this Hiya? I went to the website but it doesn't mention anything about my situation. It just mentions it's for stopping spam and robo calls.

Caller Profiles

Our global database of comprehensive caller profile information provides meaningful insight into who is calling.

Am I in their 'global database'? I thought this would be for when you receive calls, not make them to an unknown number :unsure

You're just a superstar Fab. An A lister from way back. If you dial my number on it, it'll probably come up as 'schmuck'. BTW how did the phone fit ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma on the screen lol

Something strange happened :blink:... As soon as I pressed call, my name came up on the new phone (above or below) my number that I dialled.

Android does some cool things

Identifying incoming calls is one of them

It also notifies you "suspected spam caller" and stuff like that

You can add numbers to your blocked list and you never hear from them again (they do appear in your caller list if you check, but don't ring the phone)

Someone (or more) must have identified your number

You're all NOT getting it.

This is not about receiving calls, but making them.

I rang MY number from a new phone with no contacts and my name was displayed ON THE NEW PHONE as it was ringing my phone.

Let that sink in for a moment...

I bet if you rang my number it wouldn't show up:)

It was from Telegram Fab.

Once you are in the system your number (and personal details) is transmitted all over the world into all brand new phones, computers, set top boxes, smart watches and fridges.

I thought this was common knowledge? :D

:alienabduction::alienabduction::alienabduction:

You're all NOT getting it.

This is not about receiving calls, but making them.

I rang MY number from a new phone with no contacts and my name was displayed ON THE NEW PHONE as it was ringing my phone.

Let that sink in for a moment...

Mikes Back!