Thread: Puppetized virtual pinball?

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)

Puppetized virtual pinball?

I started a VPX virtual pinball project about three years ago and one of the several reasons the project stalled almost about three years ago is because I HATE windows and can’t face having to constantly poke it to keep it going.

I have a touch of OCD and all my Kubernetes nodes, applications, home automation, ESP8266 config, mame and other servers can be re-created on a fresh OS or board with little to no manual work with a combination of puppet code, yamls and few python scripts which are all kept in bitbucket.

I am considering restarting the software side of the virtual pinball project with a fresh Windows 10 Pro OS and aim to get it fully working with all OS configuration and ongoing ‘table’ files and configuration using only puppet and chocolately.

I am fully aware this could be a foolhardy undertaking but think it could make future maintenance and recovery less painful.

Has anyone else attempted anything like this and have any wise words (or code :-) to share?

State
    Croydon, VIC
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    332 Post(s)
    To begin with, I only understand about 20% of what you were on about, however I think the crux of it is that you are wanting to automate the updating of tables and their associated files?

I would suggest against it, as the newest version of a table isn't necessarily the best to play or nicest to look at. So if your system automatically updates for you and you don't like the new table, what would you then do about it?

State
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1491 Post(s)
    You'll get the base done no problem with automation but individual tables can require so much tweaking or have file needs that I can see so meaningful way to automate that part of it

Brad

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OzStick View Post
    To begin with, I only understand about 20% of what you were on about, however I think the crux of it is that you are wanting to automate the updating of tables and their associated files?

I would suggest against it, as the newest version of a table isn't necessarily the best to play or nicest to look at. So if your system automatically updates for you and you don't like the new table, what would you then do about it?
    Hey Chris. Was thinking more of automating the configuration of windows and other software packages and configuration.
    Tables and their configuration would be procured and set by hand but resulting files could be included in the overall config so they would be applied in the event of recovery or rebuild of the machine.
    It’s probably overkill and was just a thought as all my other systems are set up so nothing needs to be done manually.
    Will likely drop the idea until the machine is complete and in the house.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1425 Post(s)
    If you're talking recovery and rebuild of a machine while maintaining VP build integrity, why not just take a baseline image of your machine and VP install once happy with it, then schedule daily incremental backups to cover changes ? While it wouldn't be transferable to new hardware (unless identical) Would be a hell of a lot easier than all that other shenanigans.

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    If you're talking recovery and rebuild of a machine while maintaining VP build integrity, why not just take a baseline image of your machine and VP install once happy with it, then schedule daily incremental backups to cover changes ? While it wouldn't be transferable to new hardware (unless identical) Would be a hell of a lot easier than all that other shenanigans.
    I totally agree that would be the sane solution:-).
    My OCD prefers to have explicit code and minimal data footprints.
    Will fight it out when the times comes.

State
    Croydon, VIC
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    332 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    You'd be surprised how transferable a backed up or cloned drive is to a PC of different spec - there's usually only a couple of driver update/installs which in general Windows handles fairly well.........

Thread Information