Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Virus Protection advice

felixthadog

I use the Windows Defender Anti virus protection that's supplied free with Windows 10 Home or it now might be called Windows Security as I just checked. Never seem to have had an issue to date and it's been years and doesn't slow the computer and continually updates. I replaced this with the Norton 360 and glad I did, was sick of paying for effectively the same product.

In-built Windows virus is surprisingly effective, especially if you have the UAC settings on Windows set to a medium or high setting. Couple that with a weekly sweep using Malwarebytes free version and you're gold.

Unless you're a total numpty who clicks on email attachments from unknown senders, or click yes on every dialog box that pops up when using the internet. If you do that, you are beyond redemption and deserve all the viruses and malware you get :)

Always remember, viruses and malware cannot just magically infect your PC, they always require some kind of user intervention to install in the first place.

As for Norton, piss that shit off right now. It's a disaster of a piece of software. It's a useless, bloated piece of shit that requires a subscription and will do nothing but slow your PC down and cause issues. Norton is quite possibly the worst anti-virus software ever created.

• Administrators

I haven't seen a virus since I owned my Atari ST, most Antivirus is bloatware these days.

Between Malwarebytes and Windows defender I've never had an issue.

You're only going to get infected if you visit and download from seedy sites or silly enough to click on links and open attachments from dodgy emails.

This is just my personal experience.

I use Kaspersky Total Internet Security and it has never let me down.

Best thing about it is that it does not hog cpu or ram resources like most anti virus software, does its thing in the background, and I have never been infected with any virus or malware whatsoever.

I install and run malware bytes every 6 months or so just for peace of mind, and it finds nothing which proves Kaspersky is doing its job

I haven't seen a virus since I owned my Atari ST, most Antivirus is bloatware these days.

Between Malwarebytes and Windows defender I've never had an issue.

You're only going to get infected if you visit and download from seedy sites or silly enough to click on links and open attachments from dodgy emails.

This is just my personal experience.

You had an Atari ST..the King of computers, I had one too ! :D

• Administrators
You had an Atari ST..the King of computers, I had one too ! :D

Amiga owner here begs to differ ;P

Btw, I don't run AV much like everyone else. Be smart and you'll be safe

Brad

• Super Moderator

Anti virus, mmm, well I had a flu shot this year, otherwise I’m like AK and Brad (oh god, did I say that?)

I thought Vic 20 was the king of computers

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

Honestly, the best thing you can do, is just make his account a non administrator account....

There's no need for anything outside of the windows AV that comes with Windows 10, it's a surprisingly good product.... but all AV aside, just make a non administrator account for him on the machine, don't tell him the admin password and that will probably protect you better than any AV will ever do. Win 10 AV + non admin account = WINNING.

A couple more questions:

1) The Malwarebytes Premium Trial version I installed has expired, should I pay for the Premium software? It seems pricey at $88 given that Kaspersky only cost $16 from Officeworks.

2) What extra security benefit(s) are offered by signing in to my Microsoft account? I don't need to sync with other devices and I don't use the Cloud for storage.

Cheers,

Matthew

A couple more questions:

1) The Malwarebytes Premium Trial version I installed has expired, should I pay for the Premium software? It seems pricey at $88 given that Kaspersky only cost $16 from Officeworks.

2) What extra security benefit(s) are offered by signing in to my Microsoft account? I don't need to sync with other devices and I don't use the Cloud for storage.

Cheers,

Matthew

No, don't pay for premium, just manually scan with Malwarebytes every week or two. If you pay for premium, it will block nasty cookies, browser hijacks and stuff using real time protection. However, general online common sense and a weekly scan using the free version is fine for most people.

Virus Protection advice

Thing is most schools like my kids require students to have an AV software installed on their laptops, they don’t accept the windows AV. Otherwise they can’t use it at school and connect to the school wifi. Students can’t bring internet dongles to school either.

Most of the class work at high school these days is done all online and everyone needs a laptop in class. Well that’s the case here in nsw anyway.

So that’s why I’m guessing the OP is trying to decide which AV to use apart from windows AV that comes with windows 10.

Not sure if they would accept malwarebytes either. Their website only offers a free two week trial now then you have to pay a subscription. So will have to search for the archived free version

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Just use Windows Defender which is built into Windows 10.

You shouldn't need Malwarebytes for the most part but you can use it as a clean up tool if you happen to be infected. Like others have said, virus' get on your computer from clicking on links that you shouldn't most of the time and no paid antivirus software will fix that. Don't click on silly shit and you'll be fine.

Thing is most schools like my kids require students to have an AV software installed on their laptops, they don’t accept the windows AV. Otherwise they can’t use it at school and connect to the school wifi.

I've never heard of this and to be honest it's pretty silly. School kids would most likely get free third antivirus from somewhere, they are entitled to a lot of other free software.

• 2 months later...

As many others mentioned.

Use the built in anti virus for windows.

Microsoft are now one of the leading security companies out there.

Run it along with the free version of Malware bytes.

For extra security, create a new user account, make this an admin with a decent password.

Make your son's account a normal account or a power user account .

If you need to install anything you'll get promoted for an admin account credentials. That's when you use the admin account you created.

Oh, do not run two antivirus programs, they will make your system run slow and conflict with each other..

Edited by Scotty T