Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What Machine Did You Get Your First High Score To Date On?

Autosteve

This should be interesting. I personally can't remember what machine I got my first 3 bang reward for highest game to date on but I'm thinking possibly Bally's 8 Ball, Power Play, Strikes & Spares or it may have been Gottlieb's Cleopatra or Close Encounters. They were all local and at one stage I had them, I just can't remember in what order. Certainly not Sinbad. I'm a cluts on double flipper games. Always have been and always will be.:realmad:

Definitely one of the above Bally or Gottlieb because the first Williams I ever did get high score to date on was either Flash or Stellar Wars and they came out much later than the above machines to the streets which was pretty much the only way you got to play pinball when I started playing pinball.

Do you remember what machine you beat bad the first time and got a 3 bang reward?

I know mine. I still remember the thrill of getting a free game.

It was F-14 tomcat at the little shopping centre down the road from my parents house.

It made such an impact on me that I had to get one when I first started collecting.

It was my first restoration and it remains my favourite pin to this day!

Position 1a in the line up!91e3532159f3b351a444a530432ac267.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it the chance of free games that got you into pinball?. It was me because money was tight and if you couldn't get free games and your money ran out, you stayed and watched your mates play till they ran out of cash.

Quick brutal learning curve but it worked.

Exactly the reason I played the pinballs. My mates got into the arcades more.

I though it was good to take $1.20 down in 20c pieces and play for an hr or so some days.

Other days it was gone in three quick games. Tomcat could be a brutal bitch at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F14 Tomcat was one I never mastered. There weren't that many around and when I did play it, it kicked my butt. Struck me as a brutal machine to tell you the truth.

Another cruel part of our pinball learning curve was around the way the free games, if we got any, were distributed.

As there were usually 6 of us playing and often only one 4 player pinball to play, the two highest scoring players from the previous game would take the 1st and 2nd player position on the next game.

The 3rd and 4th players positions were the two reserves that had sat out the previous game.

Now here is the cruel part. The credit/ credits, if any, were given to the highest scorers of the previous game irrespective of who got the free game/ games. If there were any other credits left they went down the line as in 2nd player, 3rd player and finally 4th player.

It was not unusual to score a special only to see your free game go to one of your mates to play the next game for free while you sat out because you didn't get a high enough score to continue the next round.

It mattered nought if you were the only one to get a free game, reward was distributed on your score only.:realmad:

Yes, very cruel but it was all about learning to play pinball better for us and getting higher scores.

We only played these rules when only one machine was available fortunately but that was most of the local game sites we played at, milk bars, fish shops etc.

If we went to a pinball parlour, yes that is what they were called, or any place that had multiple pinballs, it was every man for himself and he played till he ran out of money.

Was it the chance of free games that got you into pinball?. It was me because money was tight and if you couldn't get free games and your money ran out, you stayed and watched your mates play till they ran out of cash.

Quick brutal learning curve but it worked.

In 1992 the old man would throw $5 at me for school lunch money on Fridays.

And back then 5 bucks would get you a balfours pie, kitchener bun, chomp and a 300ml chocky milk.

But the even greater temptation to me was around the corner. Close to the bus stop to get home after school was a BK2K and a DE Batman in a small arcade.

Soooo, went very hungry most Fridays for a good 2 yr period while lots of free games were chased on the pins.

Once that 5 bucks was gone that was it till next Friday.

It was play well or go home.

Quick brutal learning indeed.

It was either a Stern Galaxy or a Bally Rolling Stones. Not sure which one was first.

Rolling Stones at the original Downtown in Hindley street was definitely the first time I heard the 3 knocks. It awarded the 3 credits whenever I passed the existing high score. Clocked it 3 times and it paid out 3 credits each time.

Clocked Galaxy in my local deli at Mitchell park. No 3 knocks but the owner's daughter Melissa was suitably impressed. I was suitably impressed with her at the time but it ended up being my first case of "you snooze you lose." :cry

First time entering initials for a high score to date (pre "grand champion" days) was for clocking a Williams Road Kings at Timezone Edwardstown around 1988