Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Connect terminal Ground to FG?

bubbadad

Question

7 answers to this question

• Administrators

Me either.

The FG is the Ground Input from mains and the two GND's are Ground output for distribution. All of the arcade power supplies I've wired in use FG for mains ground and then take your pick on GND for the jamma harness etc.

Hopefully someone more experienced can comfirm but I would NOT be plugging that into anything in its current state until an expert comes along and comments.

Brad

• Super Moderator

There is no problem wiring FG to ground,its been done like this since the 80s,common practice for LAI wired cabinets.

If you notice on the screen any slight interferance you will probably find this jumper has been disconnected.

I have wired many different branded power supplys like this and never ever had a problem.

Its a good little trick to try on the cheap asian cocktails that have been flooding the market over the last 10yrs as it can improve picture quality.:D

Some power supplys have FG connected internally but this isn't that common. They are mainly separate so you can wire the grounds as you may need such as when an isolation transformer is in the machine or a chassis that must be left un-grounded etc. Atari machines don't always ground the chassis for some reason but there are other brands as well. Anything with a setdown tranny inside I would be checking on the diagram.

Always run a ground from FG up to the header panel fluro lighting if for some reason you can't connect FG to the common grounds. A lot of people have got a belt out of a simple fluro assembly when the ballast dies.