Thread: Donkey Kong TKG4-14 PCB Reproduction

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)

Donkey Kong TKG4-14 PCB Reproduction

I've started to do a 1:1 reproduction of the TKG4 2 layer board set. The PCB Gerber files will be made open source for anyone that wants to get the boards fabricated through their preferred board house (I use JLCPCB) and assemble it themselves (or pay someone else to if you don't have the skills). The cost of the PCB and components would amount to around the same cost as an original PCB delivered to Australia (if you can find one) so there's no commercial viability in it and I'm pretty sure there may be copyright issues if sold commercially. I have a CPU board set that has track rot on the top layer (TKG4-14-CPU) which is my primary reason for doing it and I most likely just do the CPU board first and test/debug before moving onto the video PCB.
    The PCB has been stripped and scanned, all component locations have been measured from the original PCB to ensure accuracy to within about 0.5mm.

PCB scans..

I've started to layout the components on the PCB, the footprints/silkscreen layer needs to be created/edited to match the components on the original PCB (this is taking a considerable amount of time) then each component has it's X-Y coordinates measured before placing it on the board. 270 components have been placed so far with about another 150 caps to go as well as the pots and connectors then I can start laying out the tracks.

PDF of current progress...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nc...pepVLg82T28W2w
    Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2030 Post(s)
    10 out of 10 mate amazing work and time consuming I'm sure.

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)

Thanks mate, I have 20 hours on it so far and expect it to take around 100, same for the video PCB.
    Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    This is bloody cool. How would these stand when being used in official comps? As you are making them exactly the same, you could assume the game would play 100% accurate right? However, I expect places like Twin Galaxies would demand an original board for record purposes. Despite the fact your repros would likely be the same in all respects.

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)

They would be exactly the same as an original but I wouldn't use them for comps. Good for backup boards and repro cabinets etc.

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2060 Post(s)
    WOW! That's going to be a lot of work hand soldering or are you going to solder wave the joints?

Gemini2544's 4th Pinball meet Saturday 21/03/2020

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    Very very cool!!!

Are you firm on it being 100% original, would be great to convert the 2532 ROM sockets to be 2732 wired on the board, or add jumpers to set which pinout. 25 series being hard to find and hard to program these days.

State
    SE Queensland
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    885 Post(s)
    Great work Adam

I'd be interested in one to populate

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Very very cool!!!

Are you firm on it being 100% original, would be great to convert the 2532 ROM sockets to be 2732 wired on the board, or add jumpers to set which pinout. 25 series being hard to find and hard to program these days.
    The PCB file can be edited so it's not much work to do a revision that will use 2732's or have jumpers like you suggested.

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    541 Post(s)
    Sensational!

Make it jamma compliant!
    SEGA love: click | Nintendo love: click
    PC Engine love: click | Latest retro finds: click

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information