Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Donkey Kong TKG4-14 PCB Reproduction

Kaizen

Question

I've started to do a 1:1 reproduction of the TKG4 2 layer board set. The PCB Gerber files will be made open source for anyone that wants to get the boards fabricated through their preferred board house (I use JLCPCB) and assemble it themselves (or pay someone else to if you don't have the skills). The cost of the PCB and components would amount to around the same cost as an original PCB delivered to Australia (if you can find one) so there's no commercial viability in it and I'm pretty sure there may be copyright issues if sold commercially. I have a CPU board set that has track rot on the top layer (TKG4-14-CPU) which is my primary reason for doing it and I most likely just do the CPU board first and test/debug before moving onto the video PCB.

The PCB has been stripped and scanned, all component locations have been measured from the original PCB to ensure accuracy to within about 0.5mm.

PCB scans..

jvLSu7K.jpg

WOoXJmT.jpg

I've started to layout the components on the PCB, the footprints/silkscreen layer needs to be created/edited to match the components on the original PCB (this is taking a considerable amount of time) then each component has it's X-Y coordinates measured before placing it on the board. 270 components have been placed so far with about another 150 caps to go as well as the pots and connectors then I can start laying out the tracks.

EY9ca3n.jpg

JxDPQES.jpg

PDF of current progress...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nc9-9V4RU-VL9fnrGBpepVLg82T28W2w

• Like 6

This is bloody cool. How would these stand when being used in official comps? As you are making them exactly the same, you could assume the game would play 100% accurate right? However, I expect places like Twin Galaxies would demand an original board for record purposes. Despite the fact your repros would likely be the same in all respects.

Very very cool!!!

Are you firm on it being 100% original, would be great to convert the 2532 ROM sockets to be 2732 wired on the board, or add jumpers to set which pinout. 25 series being hard to find and hard to program these days.

The PCB file can be edited so it's not much work to do a revision that will use 2732's or have jumpers like you suggested.

Just out of curiosity if your getting blank boards made would you be interested in getting extra made and selling the blanks. Either way excellent on recreating these boards.

That shouldn't be an issue, I'll get the first one completed and tested before doing a larger run of boards.

Very very cool!!!

Are you firm on it being 100% original, would be great to convert the 2532 ROM sockets to be 2732 wired on the board, or add jumpers to set which pinout. 25 series being hard to find and hard to program these days.

Actually, I think the ECL components will be more of an issue than the 2532's

- - - Updated - - -

Sensational!

Make it jamma compliant!

Just buy one of these

https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=NIN2JAMMA

I have a contact in the US who just picked up the following ECL chips for me that are needed for the project from an electronics surplus store in Silicon Valley...

50 x 10124

50 x 10125

50 x 10116

20 x 10105

All NOS in original tubes.

He'll look for the remaining ones and ECL RAM the next time he visits.

I'm starting on laying out the tracks on the CPU PCB this weekend.

Edited by Kaizen

Update...

The 170 NOS ECL chips have arrived.

78227059_3201160963233432_5286708629427191808_o.thumb.jpg.4a38bb9f006d0f6f994b92bffeb3ed11.jpg

I took a break from the PCB layout for a while but got some done today, a few hours were spent creating the solid silk layer footprints for components that aren't populated from factory (non-inverted video and audio amp). Started getting a few more tracks laid down but plan to spend the 5 day Christmas break working on it with the hope of completing it.

Current progress...

1007021921_DKPCBGREEN2D21-12-19.thumb.jpg.f632f30bbb938c0c7e68a7fa784f56ec.jpg

1230850452_DKPCBGREEN3D21-12-19.thumb.jpg.8f9dbcf580699c46ea35859d138c298e.jpg

• Like 4

Just a few more gaps to fill in and it's done, roughly 70 hours into it so far and still about 20-40 hours work left including routing about 50 more nets and checking for errors etc.

image_145327.thumb.jpg.f2df7cb29e76a439bf07c360e1c1c132.jpg

WOoXJmT.jpg

Both sides overlayed...

image_145325.thumb.jpg.20e6896bd2bab97d3d4cd0cf2bca1991.jpg

Edited by Kaizen
  • Like 5