Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

STTNG INSIDE CAB RESTORE ONLY

My mate purchased this machine 3 years ago with a clear-coated and re-built playfield, hence the great player it is.

Unfortunately the inside cabinet was never restored and remained original with dust and grime, rust and corrosion. The cab artwork is very good so no need for a re-decal job. It has been at my house since purchased and doesn’t look like leaving anytime soon.

A week ago, I started the inside cab restore. Full strip down including earth braid. Every nut, bolt, metal, plastic, etc, polished, cleaned and/or painted. This included the coin door and lockdown bar. Matt black spray paint on the walls and Satin clear on the base. Sanding and masking up the base was challenging but I am a determined prick and eventually got there. Total restore cost was under $50 (2 x cans paint, new earth braid, some split tubing & clear lacquer), but about 20 hrs of labour at a guess.

I am posting this as it might encourage a few worried and nervous people who have thought about doing a similar thing. A few years ago I would've never attempted anything like this. but now I love it.

The playfield comes out easily (get assistance and save your back), and placed upright beside the cab. There is enough wiring to allow for this. Take plenty of pics to refer to later if need be, then everything inside gets removed and cleaned up. Then work on the timber - you can spray it all one colour or clear the base like I did for this first time using the original base. In the past I have only clear lacquered a new timber base, but the STTNG base didn’t need replacing.

Both owner and I very happy. Hope you enjoy the pics.

IMG_5515.thumb.jpg.7e1fd86a194e61be6cb6895e0b92bf1e.jpgIMG_5571.thumb.jpg.a5d6cdbb3d1bc2a8836b5c1a39b15e10.jpg

IMG_5393.thumb.jpg.600369daa0f079ca49dc500a1c73787d.jpgIMG_5495.thumb.jpg.acbe496844bdcf20526e9bb9b64debd9.jpgIMG_5508.thumb.jpg.d0da8ad53aa05f1f9136c9ff555f28d2.jpgIMG_5528.thumb.jpg.9cae3ae9d0edec937a48304e044db9b9.jpgIMG_5529.thumb.jpg.725679b581dd6fa52b61623ef29589f3.jpgIMG_5539.thumb.jpg.f7c8750e959afca558c5bf81ecee7ad8.jpgIMG_5540.thumb.jpg.4d4c87faa935ecd3267ad482efb81db3.jpgIMG_5546.thumb.jpg.8d68b61b8d0660c440c7b76d53c001b4.jpgIMG_5547.thumb.jpg.a7709437bb5bb16c1d245b00c7e583c6.jpg

IMG_5566.thumb.jpg.c71c5311f1848deca320d9ba6f47c9d7.jpgIMG_5567.thumb.jpg.04fa2fe0f404d69d69a3728d33e76aaf.jpgIMG_5569.thumb.jpg.0b6e5bc6af41d14a3018110ba92eb87f.jpg

All done in a week too , will bring a machine over on the weekend when I help you put the Playfield back in

Best way to do a machine I think. One part at a time with the intention of the machine being out of playable mode for the least amount of time between each job. I've seen to many cars torn to absolute bits to the point the job becomes overwhelming and parts get lost. I think there is a fair bit of this going on with pinballs as well.

Nice, where is the best place for earth braid?

Sorry guys but been busy with kids school commitments and now work. I got mine from Mark C at PSPA, but I'm sure Nino and Wayne sell it. There was an AA member selling it here quite cheaply a few months ago I remember.

- - - Updated - - -

All done in a week too , will bring a machine over on the weekend when I help you put the Playfield back in

Which one mate? Party Zone, LW3 or DE Star Wars? Geez, I know I've forgotten a few.

Yes, a week. I did have 3 days off when the kids were at school, so I have to do something whilst waiting for my house to be completed. This was a quick project and so rewarding too.

- - - Updated - - -

Best way to do a machine I think. One part at a time with the intention of the machine being out of playable mode for the least amount of time between each job. I've seen to many cars torn to absolute bits to the point the job becomes overwhelming and parts get lost. I think there is a fair bit of this going on with pinballs as well.

Spot on mate. My memory isn't that good to have a machine in bits for long periods of time. This took a week but I also took 56 photos to assist my memory. It's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

What clear do you use on the MDF base?

I used this one from Bunnings. Small can with plenty left over too for my next one.

IMG_5574.thumb.jpg.c83b80dff492304740f7da5bea78ddff.jpg

Followed the instructions on the can and did two coats. The timber base sanded down really well and came up like new, although the multi-tool with triangular sander attachment didn't quite get into every corner, so a bit of elbow grease/hand sanding had to be done. You wouldn't use this product on a playfield of course, but for a single one off job like this, it really did come up well. In the past I have used Cabots clear gloss on a 'White Water' & 'LW3' machines that have had brand new MDF bases installed. They also came up well.

I have done inside cab resto's before but I am torn between a painted base and a clear lacquered timber look base. Both look great (I know from factory it was natural timber look base), but just can't decide these days............keen on both equally.

LW3:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]153372[/ATTACH]

MM:

MM.thumb.JPG.2a56bd1e8547fc15ce77af48c9a11e7b.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Best way to do a machine I think. One part at a time with the intention of the machine being out of playable mode for the least amount of time between each job.

Ha ha, ask @newy16216 about his DE Batman!!! :lol Already taken 4 yrs!

Seriously though, his cabinet work is stunning and this thing will be absolutely sensational when completed.

IMG_8606.thumb.jpg.c12f371f64750feb842c20578cc6486c.jpg

I used this one from Bunnings. Small can with plenty left over too for my next one.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=153371

Followed the instructions on the can and did two coats. The timber base sanded down really well and came up like new, although the multi-tool with triangular sander attachment didn't quite get into every corner, so a bit of elbow grease/hand sanding had to be done. You wouldn't use this product on a playfield of course, but for a single one off job like this, it really did come up well. In the past I have used Cabots clear gloss on a 'White Water' & 'LW3' machines that have had brand new MDF bases installed. They also came up well.

I have done inside cab resto's before but I am torn between a painted base and a clear lacquered timber look base. Both look great (I know from factory it was natural timber look base), but just can't decide these days............keen on both equally.

LW3:

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=153372

MM:

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=153373

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though, his cabinet work is stunning and this thing will be absolutely sensational when completed.

Ahh the Batman every time I look at it I go to the fridge and pour myself a drink , think I might use it as a coffin when Iam gone lol, but don’t stress i am ok “are you ok Day n all “

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=153371

LW3:

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=153372

MM:

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=153373

- - - Updated - - -

I vote clear lacquered timber look.

SS Dave