Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Custom EM pinball sounds

kimbleseven

Ow you won't get the purists doing this in a hurry. Funny how times change. We operated thousands of Gottlieb EMs at Goddards and I would say two out of every three machines came in with cardboard wedged under the chimes to quieten them. It seemed like every tech had his way to quieten his machines he looked after, the cardboard under the chimes was by far the most popular but some had tips to go over the plungers, some put in resistors, one guy put a rheostat in so he could control the chime coil voltage.

As soon as the electronic sound boards came out, no more cardboard found in the bottom of machines. The operator, the tech or the shop owner could now control the sound level of the machine.

This little trick had a massive impact on pinball. We were able to put pinballs where we previously couldn't because of the noise. It was much easier to tell the site owner, "you can turn the volume down if you wish", rather than, "I can get the tech to shove some cardboard in the chimes to quieten it down"

Funny, the companies were extremely concerned sales may dry up taking out the iconic chime sounds. Some had the option to change it back to chimes and some made sound boards that had the option for simulated chime sounds at a flick of a switch.

It seemed these concerns were unfounded and the opposite happened, the industry loved the "volume control".

Ow you won't get the purists doing this in a hurry. Funny how times change. We operated thousands of Gottlieb EMs at Goddards and I would say two out of every three machines came in with cardboard wedged under the chimes to quieten them. It seemed like every tech had his way to quieten his machines he looked after, the cardboard under the chimes was by far the most popular but some had tips to go over the plungers, some put in resistors, one guy put a rheostat in so he could control the chime coil voltage.

As soon as the electronic sound boards came out, no more cardboard found in the bottom of machines. The operator, the tech or the shop owner could now control the sound level of the machine.

This little trick had a massive impact on pinball. We were able to put pinballs where we previously couldn't because of the noise. It was much easier to tell the site owner, "you can turn the volume down if you wish", rather than, "I can get the tech to shove some cardboard in the chimes to quieten it down"

Funny, the companies were extremely concerned sales may dry up taking out the iconic chime sounds. Some had the option to change it back to chimes and some made sound boards that had the option for simulated chime sounds at a flick of a switch.

It seemed these concerns were unfounded and the opposite happened, the industry loved the "volume control".

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Well that explains the cardboard [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk