Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: IFPA $1 fee for Australia, State Championships and IFPA State rep. nominations

State
    Mulgoa, NSW
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1093 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
    I think this would all be much more reasonable if this part read something more like ;

"A small price to pay for administration while channeling extra funds to entice new players to play."

It would be in the interests of promoting pinball (the $1) if it were dedicated to Advertising and/or Venue (Larger, something that can accomodate public attendance)

... I'm a bit busy to write all I'd like to, there is more to it of course, but to me this is a core issue.

Prize money we already have is more than adequate. Sponsors can build on that if desired.
    This money is a drop in the bucket. If you want better venues we'd be talking a lot more than $1 a comp, probably more like $5. Advertising on the other hand so long as it is done via facebook is *relatively* cheap however you can easily burn a couple of thousand a week depending on how wide you want to cast the net geographically.

The point is, this really isn't a lot of money - currently ~$8k a year.

I'd love to hear exactly how people would use it with costings. I can tell you that the venue we hired to hold expo in all those moons ago is now $7000 a day to hire, they also charge you for bump in and out.
    The Barn - 2020 - watch this space
    SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Yep.

Surly we can now put this topic to bed with over 100plus posts.

For the love of God!! it is a $1.00
    I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about... and I am being serious here.

Do you like the IPFA website??
    Do you like seeing all your points up there, ranked against thousands of other players.

How do you think this gets paid for... Magic Fairy dust.

Oh and lets not forget the few dollars it costs to just buy a pinball machine that you are playing.

Things cost money... It is that simple.

When a comp is held everyone is spending probably $30.00 or more on food and drink not to mention entry fee.
    BUT..... here were are, now on page 11 and over 100 post debating a bloody $1.00.

Surely WE are ALL better than this......
    I for one am happy to spend $1.00 (in fact I am happy to spend more) to play a well organised tournament.
    Plus.. I have been a long supporter of TD's getting paid for running comps. I don't work for free and either should they. (and yes it is work, if it was fun and easy everyone would have their hands up to be a TD)

Other hobby sports pay the people that run them. EG I used to Ref touch football games and got paid for that. it wasn't much maybe $15.00 but at least it was an acknowledgement of my time.
    How are our TD's any different?

Now... back to playing pinball
    Failure is not an option!

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Thanks @Saber I gave up on this thread long ago.........when all the dribble started but your right on the money......

sent from somewhere in the colony
    Pinball...I can't get enough !!!

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Absolutely agree....itís a $1. Itís like the cost of sip of a pint of craft beer.
    Support the hobby we all love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    Take a deep breath people.

It's called a forum and thus is an avenue for people to express their opinions.

We should show respect for what people have to say - unless they traduce another person - rather than denigrate anyone with an opinion different to our own.

Personally, I have no problem with an $1 pinball tax, I just do not agree with the way it is being marketed in terms of it's application.

I would be 100% behind it, if it went to Dan and Luke for their tireless efforts in running IFPA Australia.

Knowing that Dan and Luke do not want any money for their work, I think the bulk of this money should go towards systems that retain new players to the hobby of competitive pinball, rather than syphoning it from 'newbies' to the upper elite players. Think about this; the prize money for the SA Masters was never published prior to the event. However, that did not stop 6 of the top 10 ranked players in Australia from attending the event.

I find it amusing that as soon as a new tax/fee/levy/whatever is introduced, so many people in Australia compare it to the price of beer, just as I find it so strange that people are prepared to spend over $100 for a ticket to an AFL match at Adelaide Oval, only to spend 30 minutes lining up for a $9 beer in a plastic cup, missing half a quarter of football FYI, before everyone jumps on this, I love a beer!
    Last edited by pinballcreature; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:30 PM.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleazius View Post
    This money is a drop in the bucket. If you want better venues we'd be talking a lot more than $1 a comp, probably more like $5. Advertising on the other hand so long as it is done via facebook is *relatively* cheap however you can easily burn a couple of thousand a week depending on how wide you want to cast the net geographically.

The point is, this really isn't a lot of money - currently ~$8k a year.

I'd love to hear exactly how people would use it with costings. I can tell you that the venue we hired to hold expo in all those moons ago is now $7000 a day to hire, they also charge you for bump in and out.
    Well, we don't need to hire AAMI Stadium

Maybe costs are a little bit different here...

All the venues we have ever used here have been out of some form of charity as far as I'm aware. $500 would go quite some way in helping to secure a public venue, with plenty of floor space for the public.

Advertising is almost non existent here, but there is facebok and some good radio/television "news" coverage. $500 would make a big difference with events advertised on local free to air TV.

Yep, harvesting a dollar is fine by me, but it would need to be going to encouraging New players. That is certainly not by pouring it into prize pools. Especially when it's just an insignificant "drop in the bucket" as far as prize pools go. It is essentially wasted.

Prize pools can potentially be built bigger in many other ways.

Funding sources for Encouraging New Players are basically non existent, so a drop in the bucket becomes significant now. This should be the responsibility of the IFPA. Direct the funds to where they are needed, and where the need makes sense. .... I mean dollars! ... lol

I agree with @pinballcreature

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)

I have overseen competitive pinball growth for quite a number of years now and watched the implementation of strategies to help it progress further in Australia.

Most of us who have been in pinball for many years have built up quite a bit of knowledge and experience. Players come and go in this hobby for various reasons. Like they do in every other interest or sport.

Most of the high ranked players are the ones who pay the majority of money in traveling to events and paying registration fees attending most of the events that TD's host. Why shouldn't they be rewarded with higher prize pools which would also boost attendance to the events?

Why is this such a hard pill to swallow by a few? The fee is actually to help grow pinball not just for the best, but for the TD's and all players in general. It actually will help attract new and seasoned players to these events by creating extra "sub" rankings that should inspire more players to do better.

While I do appreciate the praise that most say about the IFPA Country Directors in Australia, I will tell you now that there are many TD's and volunteers who put in just as much effort, not to mention money without a second thought. So many players contribute to make events better and better.

Forums are designed to have people offer opinions and feedback providing it is done respectfully. We won't always agree, so something's it's easier to agree to disagree.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)
    Dan, can you say something about the process of appointing State Directors? Some people here are assuming I am the SA director but so far I have only nominated myself.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)
    I nominate Greg

I believe he would be a great state rep.

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)

Maybe the person you heard it from can advise? Nothing has been made official until I have closed nominations and contacted all nominees and conducted ballots for the states and territories which have received more than one nomination.

Nominations have now closed. Any state or territory that received more than one nomination should have already received an email from me. Once all responses have been actioned, I will advise and publish the names.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information