Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Dreamcast GDEMU Thoughts?

Dreamcast GDEMU Thoughts?

I've noticed the flood of clones on ebay now.

Anybody got one? any good?

They’re awesome. All games except 1 or 2 play beautifully through vga as well. I have the full game collection on a 256 sd if you need as well.

I have 1 genuine and 1 clone and I can’t tell any differences.

• Administrators
They’re awesome. All games except 1 or 2 play beautifully through vga as well. I have the full game collection on a 256 sd if you need as well.

I have 1 genuine and 1 clone and I can’t tell any differences.

Thanks for that mate.

I just blew the cobwebs off mine to make sure it's one of the compatible systems and it is.

I'll take you up on your offer.

I'm naughty and have a clone, works perfectly. Wait it out as Aliexpress and eBay often have them on sale for around $70 shipped.

Also, there are variations of the clones, some use incorrect components and cause issues. When I have time I'll provide more info.

Tip: use SD Maker software to patch the SD card and pre-sort the file structure, instant loading of menu.

• Administrators
I'm naughty and have a clone, works perfectly. Wait it out as Aliexpress and eBay often have them on sale for around $70 shipped.

Also, there are variations of the clones, some use incorrect components and cause issues. When I have time I'll provide more info.

Tip: use SD Maker software to patch the SD card and pre-sort the file structure, instant loading of menu.

I'll be interested in hearing what you have to say.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GDEMU-Optical-Drive-Simulation-Board-for-SEGA-Dreamcast-DC-VA1-With-SD-Extension/123488881657?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dcff2d84963d642d18928e6ade23abd2b%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D303258592416%26itm%3D123488881657%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ad98faa22-d1ce-11e9-9f20-74dbd180cd88%7Cparentrq%3A0e40deda16d0aa66a7117a36ffc50367%7Ciid%3A1

That one seems to have sold a few.

It's hard to tell as there aren't clear pictures with that listing.

This is the one I grabbed:

Screenshot_2019-07-07-13-46-53-68.thumb.jpg.313633395503df1eeae4f11e2023d65a.jpg

The issue with some of the clone variants are an incorrect crystal value being used and the GDrom connector using a chopped down connector (presumably they ran out of the correct pinned connector so simply cut a higher pin count connector down). This makes fitment awkward especially if utilising a 3D printed case.

The best way to spot the bad clones is the incorrect GDrom connector and metal SD card holder.

You will want to use the 3D printed tray as this maintains proper airflow and prevents overheating. The exhaust fan on the DC can't extract hot air otherwise as there's a large void when the original GDrom drive is removed. The 3D printed tray fills this area in the same way the GDrom drive does and creates a channel from the power supply to the fan. Some people bridge a resistor between the 12V rail and ground, to place a dummy load on the now unused 12V line and keep heat down but I've not found this necessary.

Download unmolested gdi dumps. Best place I've found is a site called The Eye (Europe). You'll need to Google, don't want to link here in case that's not permitted.

Download software named SD Maker. This will assist in correct folder / naming structure and sort the files so the menu loads instantly.

Download GDMenu. The GDEmu device doesn't natively feature a GUI.

Aliexpress are usually cheaper. I don't think anything more than $80 AU landed is fair for a clone.

AU $64.69 19%OFF | Optical Drive Simulation Board for DC Game Machine the Second Generation Built-in Free Disk replacement for Full New GDEMU Gam

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/Fqpd8BhI

The firmware can't be updated but that doesn't matter as the firmware is rock solid and hasn't been updated in years anyhow.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an example of what NOT to buy.

Look closely at the GDrom connector, you can see it's a longer connector that's been cut down.

AU $92.74 14%OFF | Optical Drive Simulation Upgrade Board for DC Game Machine Built-In Free Disk Replacement for Full New Gdemu Game 5.15B

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/owu0bWMu

• 3 weeks later...

There seem to be 2 different versions on ebay.

5.5 has plastic SD card holder and good connector.

5.15 has metal SD metal holder and chopped connector.

Some sellers let you choose which version when adding to cart.

@Frank_fjs Does the seller you brought from have them listed still? I can't find them for anything even close to what you paid.

Managed to grab one a while back, been using it a fair bit. Haven't had any weird issues or anything but running a stock PSU/fan you probably will start to notice a plastic smell once the unit heats up for abit.

In my case it depends on which game I play, the left part of the console will start to be hot to touch~ every game has ran the way it should. Just some sd cards can be a bitch :unsure

• 4 months later...
Has anyone had any issues fitting them when using TwistedSymphony tray? My DGEMU doesn't sit down far enough to the to connect when I have the tray installed. I measured the 3D print with my vernier caliper and its exactly the same size as the design file. Its a simple install, I can't see how I'm doing anything wrong.

• 2 weeks later...