Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Remakes VS Originals

Benny

I know there were topics on these when they were first announced, but now that the remake editions have been available for quite some time now, (MM, AFM and MB remakes) I'm interested to see what is everyone's honest opinion of them is now

I unfortunately have not been lucky enough to see of play one in real life, but from all the photos i have seen, they look bloody spectacular. I know there is always going to be the debate and people who prefer having something original over a remake, but when its a brand new, updated model of a machine that is almost 20 years old can an original really compare to that..

Obviously no two machines will play the exact same, is there any noticeable difference when playing one of the remakes, do they feel and play somewhat similar? Or are people more so just pleased to have a brand new machine of a classic in front of them??

How have they held up so far, build quality wise? Has there been noticeable issues with them? How does the artwork compare, are the playfields identical to the originals? I assume maintenance in the long run would be a lot less also

There are multiple threads doing the rounds at the moment in relation to playfield issues with different manufacturers, do these remakes suffer from these issues also or do they have there own individual issues if any?

Are the manufacturers heading in the right direction producing these remake editions do we think?

Keen to know everyone's thoughts, especially those who have possibly owned an original and remake

Played about 25-30 games on a MMr and its a very nice game... but in my opinion there seems to be something not quite right with the response from the flippers. I know the coil strength is adjustable but thats not the issue. Other than that I think theyre a good copy with the added benefits that come with a modern game. If I had the choice between a fully rebuilt orignal & a remake, Id take the orginal. Just my opinion

Aaaaaand in the other corner! I have had some very nice originals and have owned MMRLE and AFMRLE

Give me a remake any day. Everything brand new and with the modern benefits of minor power adjustments. No contest from this user. :cool:

But this debate will go on for as long as there are both!

Yes its no win no lose topic. No right or wrong - all personal.

I've played both versions of all of them now and owned the originals of all 3.

I've felt the remake Medieval was lacking.

Played 4 and still felt they lacked in feel and look.

Afm better but didn't like the lighting - topper very cool though.

Monster bash I was surprised, it is very nice much better lighting and cool topper if you like toppers.

But I am still a fan of, and prerfer original versions though.

In saying that I just played a couple of nice originals recently and honestly found them both weak in flipper power tbh and didn't really enjoy them.

I only like a minty restored version, custom lighting and pinsound in MB a given. I do regret letting my Mb and AFM go but not Medieval, as it just does not do it for me as a title or game play but is obviously ranked very high.

In short I like the originals as I can customise and tune to my personal liking - esoecially sound and lighting and have experience and parts to look after myself.

Played about 25-30 games on a MMr and its a very nice game... but in my opinion there seems to be something not quite right with the response from the flippers. I know the coil strength is adjustable but thats not the issue. Other than that I think theyre a good copy with the added benefits that come with a modern game. If I had the choice between a fully rebuilt orignal & a remake, Id take the orginal. Just my opinion

they are not a copy at all

all original designed mechs and artwork, software etc, just with new technology

90% of all the parts are from the original suppliers to Williams even the playfields were made by Churchill Cabinet Company CCC which is Chicago Gaming

The MBr has issues. Drac feet bounce, STDM from popper even after multiple fixes and FW updates and releveling, a part came off after a few dozen games and needed reattaching.

Played a mates original the other day and it just felt better with none of the issues.

The screen is great though. And with enough tweaks it'll play ok. Just saying in this case the original wins for me.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The MBr has issues. Drac feet bounce, STDM from popper even after multiple fixes and FW updates and releveling, a part came off after a few dozen games and needed reattaching.

Played a mates original the other day and it just felt better with none of the issues.

The screen is great though. And with enough tweaks it'll play ok. Just saying in this case the original wins for me.

Even the originals had the toes cut off from Williams due to the exact same issue, not sure on the SDTM as none I have or seen do that

- - - Updated - - -

Can the insert LED's be turned down on a AFMr? They are stupidly pointlessly bright and wash the insert colour out.

there should be brightness adjustment in the Chicago gaming menu

I have played all but only own the AFMRLE and the MBRLE.

Both these machines look beautiful and the light shows are amazing, however there is an issue with dimpling in the playfield that wasn't there with the original, this dimpling seems to be an issue on all new machines and is pretty disappointing on a $13K machine.

The MBRLE has its own set of issues with the right return lane hitting Dracs legs and the scoop shooting balls straight down the middle. Original fix was to cut Dracs legs, WTF. I would have thought the remake would have been adjusted to fix this before being released, but no.

I was very frustrated with these two issues but feel I have resolved them adequately with tweaks and adjustments.

So, with the full colour displays and the look and feel of the remakes, that would be my go to any day.

However an original with a full colour DMD is a beautiful thing in its own right.

@raysco

What were your fixes?

I've raised pitch to 7 degrees, updated firmware and popper strength and added a spring washer.

Drac feet still an issue and 1 in 20 still go STDM. an improvement on 1 in 3 for sure.

I think I'll play with the spring washer some more before I mess with the scoop but that's next.

The main thing that sucks is I don't play it much. Nothing worse than getting 60 million going then having an impossible to save ball drain right as a mode starts.

This issue with the remake is discussed in plenty of pinside threads.

I agree it's not the importers fault. It's a CGC issue. I've messaged them politely directly but the email was ignored. Guessing they've had a few....

Up to us to solve. And agree that for the price it was a bit of an annoyance.

Original machines from the late 90's have stood the test of time.

They are still extremely popular and sought after, and it's easy to fix any problem that arises, mechanically or electronically.

Not overly keen on all the extra bling on the remakes and the ones I have played simply don't play as smoothly.

Lets see how the remakes hold up 20 yrs from now.

Edited by Smithy

I have played all but only own the AFMRLE and the MBRLE.

Both these machines look beautiful and the light shows are amazing, however there is an issue with dimpling in the playfield that wasn't there with the original, this dimpling seems to be an issue on all new machines and is pretty disappointing on a $13K machine.

The MBRLE has its own set of issues with the right return lane hitting Dracs legs and the scoop shooting balls straight down the middle. Original fix was to cut Dracs legs, WTF. I would have thought the remake would have been adjusted to fix this before being released, but no.

I was very frustrated with these two issues but feel I have resolved them adequately with tweaks and adjustments.

So, with the full colour displays and the look and feel of the remakes, that would be my go to any day.

However an original with a full colour DMD is a beautiful thing in its own right.

Once you put 20k games on a machine I’m sure you won’t notice the dimpling

I'd love to play an original AFM to compare - but I have a remake (LE) and it's just a phenomenal machine as whole package. I can't comment if it plays better or worse, but a lot of folks who play the remake at my place have something to say about the actual experience of playing it. By that I mean, the great sound (and AFM really has some awesome music and callouts), the nice big colour display, the way the topper is integrated, the fantastic lighting - the game puts on a hell of a show and really sucks you in. I would really like to see if the original has the same effect.

Yes I know all that really matters is the game and how it plays etc... but I still think the sound + visuals add a lot to the machine overall.

One thing I would say - a lot of people have said that the remake feels really solidly put together. While that's true - in my opinion (and again I can only compare to other Bally/Williams I have owned), the older BW machines always feel more "well made". Hmmm I don't really know how else to put it... :)

The remakes of the classic Bally Williams games are great with the updated technologies applied to the builds, improved lighting, graphics and adjustment features they have. What keeps me attracted to the originals though is that the three boards in the backbox are all interchangeable and not game specific to each title, and BW put those critical boards in the backbox for a reason, and that was to avoid too many boards under the playfield away from metal dust, pop bumper vibration, ball and troll violence so as to protect solder joints, chips and critical components from failing over time. The huge board under the playfield may be very problematic going forward as these machines age, and expensive to repair or replace. So for most collectors the real question is the trade off between added new and improved features, sound,lighting visual graphics, or the reliability and robustness of the originals where boards can be swapped and are relatively easy to keep running.

The remakes of the classic Bally Williams games are great with the updated technologies applied to the builds, improved lighting, graphics and adjustment features they have. What keeps me attracted to the originals though is that the three boards in the backbox are all interchangeable and not game specific to each title, and BW put those critical boards in the backbox for a reason, and that was to avoid too many boards under the playfield away from metal dust, pop bumper vibration, ball and troll violence so as to protect solder joints, chips and critical components from failing over time. The huge board under the playfield may be very problematic going forward as these machines age, and expensive to repair or replace. So for most collectors the real question is the trade off between added new and improved features, sound,lighting visual graphics, or the reliability and robustness of the originals where boards can be swapped and are relatively easy to keep running.

Well said and I totally agree.

Originals every time for me as I can fix them.