Thread: Remakes VS Originals

State
    Lake Macquarie NSW
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

Remakes VS Originals

I know there were topics on these when they were first announced, but now that the remake editions have been available for quite some time now, (MM, AFM and MB remakes) I'm interested to see what is everyone's honest opinion of them is now

I unfortunately have not been lucky enough to see of play one in real life, but from all the photos i have seen, they look bloody spectacular. I know there is always going to be the debate and people who prefer having something original over a remake, but when its a brand new, updated model of a machine that is almost 20 years old can an original really compare to that..

Obviously no two machines will play the exact same, is there any noticeable difference when playing one of the remakes, do they feel and play somewhat similar? Or are people more so just pleased to have a brand new machine of a classic in front of them??

How have they held up so far, build quality wise? Has there been noticeable issues with them? How does the artwork compare, are the playfields identical to the originals? I assume maintenance in the long run would be a lot less also

There are multiple threads doing the rounds at the moment in relation to playfield issues with different manufacturers, do these remakes suffer from these issues also or do they have there own individual issues if any?

Are the manufacturers heading in the right direction producing these remake editions do we think?

Keen to know everyone's thoughts, especially those who have possibly owned an original and remake

State
    Seven Hills
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Played about 25-30 games on a MMr and its a very nice game... but in my opinion there seems to be something not quite right with the response from the flippers. I know the coil strength is adjustable but thats not the issue. Other than that I think theyre a good copy with the added benefits that come with a modern game. If I had the choice between a fully rebuilt orignal & a remake, Id take the orginal. Just my opinion
    In: FH, Munsters LE, ACDC, IJ, LW3, TZ

State
    Nowra N.S.W.
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1828 Post(s)
    Aaaaaand in the other corner! I have had some very nice originals and have owned MMRLE and AFMRLE

Give me a remake any day. Everything brand new and with the modern benefits of minor power adjustments. No contest from this user.

But this debate will go on for as long as there are both!
    PINBALL gotta love it

"There's no such thing as too much bling" Scott

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    413 Post(s)
    Yes its no win no lose topic. No right or wrong - all personal.

I've played both versions of all of them now and owned the originals of all 3.

I've felt the remake Medieval was lacking.
    Played 4 and still felt they lacked in feel and look.
    Afm better but didn't like the lighting - topper very cool though.

Monster bash I was surprised, it is very nice much better lighting and cool topper if you like toppers.

But I am still a fan of, and prerfer original versions though.
    In saying that I just played a couple of nice originals recently and honestly found them both weak in flipper power tbh and didn't really enjoy them.

I only like a minty restored version, custom lighting and pinsound in MB a given. I do regret letting my Mb and AFM go but not Medieval, as it just does not do it for me as a title or game play but is obviously ranked very high.

In short I like the originals as I can customise and tune to my personal liking - esoecially sound and lighting and have experience and parts to look after myself.

State
    Brisbane, Qld
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    Remake every day of the week for me.

State
    NSW (Maitland)
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)
    Have owned a MMrLE and still own a AFMrLE.

I prefer the remakes as well.

State
    Pinball Central
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    508 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jug123 View Post
    Played about 25-30 games on a MMr and its a very nice game... but in my opinion there seems to be something not quite right with the response from the flippers. I know the coil strength is adjustable but thats not the issue. Other than that I think theyre a good copy with the added benefits that come with a modern game. If I had the choice between a fully rebuilt orignal & a remake, Id take the orginal. Just my opinion
    they are not a copy at all
    all original designed mechs and artwork, software etc, just with new technology

90% of all the parts are from the original suppliers to Williams even the playfields were made by Churchill Cabinet Company CCC which is Chicago Gaming
    Australian Distributors for Jersey Jack Pinball, Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball.
    Your one Stop Shop For New Pinball & Arcade Games.

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    The MBr has issues. Drac feet bounce, STDM from popper even after multiple fixes and FW updates and releveling, a part came off after a few dozen games and needed reattaching.

Played a mates original the other day and it just felt better with none of the issues.

The screen is great though. And with enough tweaks it'll play ok. Just saying in this case the original wins for me.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Can the insert LED's be turned down on a AFMr? They are stupidly pointlessly bright and wash the insert colour out.

State
    Pinball Central
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    508 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by visualmagic View Post
    The MBr has issues. Drac feet bounce, STDM from popper even after multiple fixes and FW updates and releveling, a part came off after a few dozen games and needed reattaching.

Played a mates original the other day and it just felt better with none of the issues.

The screen is great though. And with enough tweaks it'll play ok. Just saying in this case the original wins for me.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Even the originals had the toes cut off from Williams due to the exact same issue, not sure on the SDTM as none I have or seen do that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Can the insert LED's be turned down on a AFMr? They are stupidly pointlessly bright and wash the insert colour out.
    there should be brightness adjustment in the Chicago gaming menu
    Australian Distributors for Jersey Jack Pinball, Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball.
    Your one Stop Shop For New Pinball & Arcade Games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information