Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remakes VS Originals

State
    westlake, Brisbane
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    455 Post(s)

I have played all but only own the AFMRLE and the MBRLE.
    Both these machines look beautiful and the light shows are amazing, however there is an issue with dimpling in the playfield that wasn't there with the original, this dimpling seems to be an issue on all new machines and is pretty disappointing on a $13K machine.
    The MBRLE has its own set of issues with the right return lane hitting Dracs legs and the scoop shooting balls straight down the middle. Original fix was to cut Dracs legs, WTF. I would have thought the remake would have been adjusted to fix this before being released, but no.
    I was very frustrated with these two issues but feel I have resolved them adequately with tweaks and adjustments.
    So, with the full colour displays and the look and feel of the remakes, that would be my go to any day.

However an original with a full colour DMD is a beautiful thing in its own right.

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    @raysco

What were your fixes?

I've raised pitch to 7 degrees, updated firmware and popper strength and added a spring washer.

Drac feet still an issue and 1 in 20 still go STDM. an improvement on 1 in 3 for sure.

I think I'll play with the spring washer some more before I mess with the scoop but that's next.

The main thing that sucks is I don't play it much. Nothing worse than getting 60 million going then having an impossible to save ball drain right as a mode starts.

This issue with the remake is discussed in plenty of pinside threads.

I agree it's not the importers fault. It's a CGC issue. I've messaged them politely directly but the email was ignored. Guessing they've had a few....

Up to us to solve. And agree that for the price it was a bit of an annoyance.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)
    Original machines from the late 90's have stood the test of time.
    They are still extremely popular and sought after, and it's easy to fix any problem that arises, mechanically or electronically.
    Not overly keen on all the extra bling on the remakes and the ones I have played simply don't play as smoothly.
    Lets see how the remakes hold up 20 yrs from now.
    Last edited by Smithy; 1 Week Ago at 07:55 PM.

State
    Blacktown
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1063 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raysco View Post
    I have played all but only own the AFMRLE and the MBRLE.
    Both these machines look beautiful and the light shows are amazing, however there is an issue with dimpling in the playfield that wasn't there with the original, this dimpling seems to be an issue on all new machines and is pretty disappointing on a $13K machine.
    The MBRLE has its own set of issues with the right return lane hitting Dracs legs and the scoop shooting balls straight down the middle. Original fix was to cut Dracs legs, WTF. I would have thought the remake would have been adjusted to fix this before being released, but no.
    I was very frustrated with these two issues but feel I have resolved them adequately with tweaks and adjustments.
    So, with the full colour displays and the look and feel of the remakes, that would be my go to any day.

However an original with a full colour DMD is a beautiful thing in its own right.
    Once you put 20k games on a machine I’m sure you won’t notice the dimpling
    In: Houdini, Iron man, RZ, SWLE, TWDLE, Whitewater, WOZ and Xmen
    Out: Avengers Hulk, BOP, BSD, Demo man, Elvis, Flintstones, Frank Thomas Big Hurt, Frankenstein, The Getaway:HS2, Gorgar, Grand Slam, Hobbit, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings, METPrem, Roadshow, Shadow, Spider-Man, STTNG, WCS, Wheel of Fortune, Wild life, WWELE

State
    Victoria,Mansfield
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    196 Post(s)
    I have no opinion which is better.
    I prefer the originals because I enjoy doing them up and returning them back to as good as new.
    I assume that anyone who has either is content

State
    New South Wales
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I'd love to play an original AFM to compare - but I have a remake (LE) and it's just a phenomenal machine as whole package. I can't comment if it plays better or worse, but a lot of folks who play the remake at my place have something to say about the actual experience of playing it. By that I mean, the great sound (and AFM really has some awesome music and callouts), the nice big colour display, the way the topper is integrated, the fantastic lighting - the game puts on a hell of a show and really sucks you in. I would really like to see if the original has the same effect.

Yes I know all that really matters is the game and how it plays etc... but I still think the sound + visuals add a lot to the machine overall.

One thing I would say - a lot of people have said that the remake feels really solidly put together. While that's true - in my opinion (and again I can only compare to other Bally/Williams I have owned), the older BW machines always feel more "well made". Hmmm I don't really know how else to put it...

State
    Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    The remakes of the classic Bally Williams games are great with the updated technologies applied to the builds, improved lighting, graphics and adjustment features they have. What keeps me attracted to the originals though is that the three boards in the backbox are all interchangeable and not game specific to each title, and BW put those critical boards in the backbox for a reason, and that was to avoid too many boards under the playfield away from metal dust, pop bumper vibration, ball and troll violence so as to protect solder joints, chips and critical components from failing over time. The huge board under the playfield may be very problematic going forward as these machines age, and expensive to repair or replace. So for most collectors the real question is the trade off between added new and improved features, sound,lighting visual graphics, or the reliability and robustness of the originals where boards can be swapped and are relatively easy to keep running.

State
    Shepparton Vic
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1810 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PURPLE BAT View Post
    The remakes of the classic Bally Williams games are great with the updated technologies applied to the builds, improved lighting, graphics and adjustment features they have. What keeps me attracted to the originals though is that the three boards in the backbox are all interchangeable and not game specific to each title, and BW put those critical boards in the backbox for a reason, and that was to avoid too many boards under the playfield away from metal dust, pop bumper vibration, ball and troll violence so as to protect solder joints, chips and critical components from failing over time. The huge board under the playfield may be very problematic going forward as these machines age, and expensive to repair or replace. So for most collectors the real question is the trade off between added new and improved features, sound,lighting visual graphics, or the reliability and robustness of the originals where boards can be swapped and are relatively easy to keep running.
    Well said and I totally agree.
    Originals every time for me as I can fix them.

State
    Pinball Central
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    508 Post(s)
    the cpu in the headbox and driver board are the same in AFMR and MBR and the cpu controller board are also the same used in MMR
    Australian Distributors for Jersey Jack Pinball, Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball.
    Your one Stop Shop For New Pinball & Arcade Games.

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Originals all day, for me. Flippers don't feel right on the remakes. They look great, but I'd rather play an original.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information