Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb El Dorado

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never bothered with the splatter effect on any EM's I have repainted and probably wont when I do my Eldorado . I think they look better without it but to each their own

Keen to see your cab finished. Can't believe its 5 years since I got mine running and its still waiting for a repaint .

Sent from my SM-A520F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

the splatter effect is really simple to do, even if you think it's a struggle or hard you may consider the following....

I use a dish cleaning brush, the small rectangle head type, about the size of a matchbox.

I put diluted matt black acrylic paint into a small round flat bottomed plastic container.

I stir the paint with an icy pole stick to the consistency where when you put the bristles of the brush in then turn it upside down, the paint will just start to move down the bristles, with gravity, and adversely with the bristles facing down you want to see the paint forming tear drops on the tips, but not dripping off.

Too thick and you get fat blobs and will run out quickly, too thin and you get too much, noticing it dripping off the bristles.

I first practice on a vertical piece of cardboard.

No gloves needed, no pain. Well you can wear gloves if doing the same for enamel, but the acrylic will wash off.

Standing about a foot away from the area to be splattered I have found to be a good distance.

Using your choice of finger, pull back the bristles and fire away.

Also depending on the temperature and using acrylic you may find the paint drying out so shoot faster.

You may find as it starts thinning out on your brush that you move closer, so yes to starting further away.

As the speckles start to thin out it's time to dip the head back into the paint.

You really don't need much at all.

I bought a sample pot from Bunnings.

this may help :unsure

When I've done splatter I use an almost empty can of black gloss spray paint. If you barely press the button, and with some practice it works really well.
I have tried this a few times during practice and I liked the effect more that the brush. Doug you have a steady hand. I would have done it this way but now and then I would push too hard and ruin the look with a black patch of paint.

I will keep practicing.

Sent from my AGM A8 using Tapatalk

Trimming the pinball pimp stencils down to size. This will make it easier to align them and also to do multiple sides at a time.

El Dorado will be a difficult stencil to apply because the triangle shapes on the cabinet will need to align perfectly.IMG_20191103_113853.thumb.jpg.6151d94ab19b94dbd5557cc41daf1ca9.jpgIMG_20191103_113939.thumb.jpg.58fbfac8c6d4c40653a1fc1881053f6c.jpg

Someone has thrown out the 2 front stencils for the cabinet into the rubbish bin! Not sure if it was me or the missus...

Should be easy to recreate the triangles on each side of the coin door. I just need measurements for the tips of the triangles (closest to the coin door). Can someone measure up please?

Screenshot_20191110-151232.thumb.jpg.7ff417b5d8de2f9606f0160a12c8242e.jpg

Gottlieb El Dorado

Someone has thrown out the 2 front stencils for the cabinet into the rubbish bin! Not sure if it was me or the missus...

Should be easy to recreate the triangles on each side of the coin door. I just need measurements for the tips of the triangles (closest to the coin door). Can someone measure up please?

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=156068

Just go by the picture Jesse it doesn’t have to be micrometer perfect no one will no any difference even yourself, you’d be surprised how close you can get it by eye.

Just do one side first mask it all up and when you think it’s right copy the measurements over to the other side so it’s all even.

The front of the cab is so basic it is almost impossible to stuff it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=156068

oh oh. I will measure tomorrow and let you know

Sent from my SM-A520F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Got some more stencils done over the last few days. The head is finished. A few small bleed throughs here and there but it looks like they were meant to be there. Very happy with the colours and the finish. Just the brown on the cabinet left to do when it's not windy and 43c.IMG_20191120_140944.thumb.jpg.191ecd455dce1ad845f56fa082cd3ad5.jpg