Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New issues with playfields surface....

State
    Lake Macquarie NSW
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

Take the money and run

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    F8837BDE-F6B3-44FF-AC79-CCCE58C418CC.jpegC6427DDC-DBC7-4AAE-AB19-3629921C5837.jpeg The entire Maiden playfield has this wrinkled look to it which can also be felt, the clear around the posts on Star Trek is loose and the art is chipping off. Both machines have less than 100 plays on them.

State
    Central QLD
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    355 Post(s)
    My guess is the water base clear is the issue, The mix aint right, multiple layers that are unable to cure properly.
    Also I think the air tools they use on the assembly line are too highly torqued.

I'm sorry to hear some of our local guys are getting problem games
    I have seen some of the photo's numerous machines and its certainly a major concern.
    Some Maiden one's I have seen are really bad. Such a shame.

Bruce is doing he's best and as mentioned Stern will look at issues on a case by case basis.
    Still not much fun having to do a playfield swap.

Even Hitler as having a hard time with this issue !

https://captiongenerator.com/1498452...-Jurassic-Park
    Pinball, Its an Addiction

State
    victoria
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    996 Post(s)
    Pinball haus is selling post protectors from titan that I'm guessing are rubber buffers between of and post. I wonder if they would relieve the issue if caught early @BioBa

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinball god View Post
    Pinball haus is selling post protectors from titan that I'm guessing are rubber buffers between of and post. I wonder if they would relieve the issue if caught early @BioBa
    Not quite sure what you mean by "post protectors"? I sell sling shot protectors but have not seen ot heard of post protectors?

State
    victoria
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    996 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BioBa View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by "post protectors"? I sell sling shot protectors but have not seen ot heard of post protectors?
    My bad I thought they looked like you could use them under posts

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinball god View Post
    My bad I thought they looked like you could use them under posts
    Maybe you can repurpose them. You are thinking outside the square lol.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinball Shed View Post
    Just buy them and play them.
    Really? if you bought a new car and the paint fell off after a couple of drives would you be satisfied and just drive it?

I retract what I said about playfield protectors above because it has been stated that they don't help with this issue and the clear and art will still chip away under the protector.

Yep there are different levels of how much this has affected some people, but that is not an excuse to be totally dismissive IMO.
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    N/A
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koops View Post
    Bruce at amd told me that they unbox and check machines (I don’t know what they check and may only be le’s as that was what I was discussing at the time).

I haven’t yet asked but does anyone know if they’d classify these blisters as defects?

From the jp2 posts on pinside it seems that machines can be delivered and are cosmetically perfect but within a few days of play can exhibit these issues (sling rubber + coil activations causing extra pressure on posts perhaps?)

Given the time they sit on a ship for aus stock could these issues present themselves right out of the box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apparently AMD do but not check well in my situation as I purchased a new B66 (late 2018) and got it home, played 6 games on the same day and after the excitement of a new game and then checked the game closer to learn the rules and inserts features etc on the same day noticed bubbling / pooling clear around posts and where the apron meets the playfield to the point that if you push it with your finger and the bubble moves around = art / clear separation from the playfield. So yes regardless of travel it is fresh out of the box.

I know a few people with these issues and it appears to be where the clear coat is over art and not necessarily over clear over the timber finish which points to the issue being a reaction / separation between the printed ink and the clearcoat.

When I contacted AMD they were good from one perspective that they said if you are not happy return it for a full refund but would not re-imburse the costs for freight which under Aus law they should but did not want to cause dramas as I wanted to purchase games in the future but was a $500 loss straight up for the freight costs. I do worry for the next person if they got my old machine or if the game was fixed. I was on the list for Munsters but all communication stopped after the B66 return so I'm probably black listed now - sad but I suppose something for your guys to consider.

Regardless of what the Stern Warranty is the Australian Fair Trading law protects you from defective products like blistering, pooling, lifting artwork as this is defective and some of my US friends have had IM populated playfields replaced similar to the GB replacement program but Stern never makes this very public. There are a couple of people that went the rubber washer suggestions and they still have issues will rippling now occurring wider out.

For you guys buying new games I would be nervous about new purchases like the Elvira LE and Signatures as even with the recent Jurassic's they moved the art and black outline more away from the posts to avoid the issue but some hidden posts left and pooling started again and you have to wonder what will happen to these playfields in a few years time as you won't have Consumer Affairs rights by then.

I was talking to a mate who was a spray painter and now an automotive paint seller and he believes that it is the new eco friendly acrylic paints & clears and they need alot of things to go right - chemical reaction, humidity and environment and time to cure between colour and clears - they need to be similar product brands etc. It has to make you wonder given that chemical reactions etc have to be perfect between the direct to playfield printer ink and clearcoat recipe - has to be perfect.

Here are some comments from the auto industry - on acrylic versus urethane

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/p...ic-automotive/
    and this one talks of arcylic clears chipping
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...c-vs-urethane/

then when you read into it the acrylic clears need a suitable base to bite in so a printed playfield artwork / inks may have negative reactions to an acrylic clear.

I created a few alternatives to minimize the issue and hide any pooling for the interim but installing these may void any Stern / JJP warranty so just be aware. I make no money form these (but Shapeways do) BUT if you become a Shapeways member you can download the STL files for free and print your own - just trying to help.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplac...=swinkspooling

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience Jady.
    Very interesting theory you have put forward re likely reason for this new playfields issue.
    Luckily I am old school so not wanting to buy a NIB pin.

Cheers
    Dave

Sent from my SM-A520F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information