Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New issues with playfields surface....

Apparently AMD do but not check well in my situation as I purchased a new B66 (late 2018) and got it home, played 6 games on the same day and after the excitement of a new game and then checked the game closer to learn the rules and inserts features etc on the same day noticed bubbling / pooling clear around posts and where the apron meets the playfield to the point that if you push it with your finger and the bubble moves around = art / clear separation from the playfield. So yes regardless of travel it is fresh out of the box.

I know a few people with these issues and it appears to be where the clear coat is over art and not necessarily over clear over the timber finish which points to the issue being a reaction / separation between the printed ink and the clearcoat.

When I contacted AMD they were good from one perspective that they said if you are not happy return it for a full refund but would not re-imburse the costs for freight which under Aus law they should but did not want to cause dramas as I wanted to purchase games in the future but was a $500 loss straight up for the freight costs. I do worry for the next person if they got my old machine or if the game was fixed. I was on the list for Munsters but all communication stopped after the B66 return so I'm probably black listed now - sad but I suppose something for your guys to consider.

Regardless of what the Stern Warranty is the Australian Fair Trading law protects you from defective products like blistering, pooling, lifting artwork as this is defective and some of my US friends have had IM populated playfields replaced similar to the GB replacement program but Stern never makes this very public. There are a couple of people that went the rubber washer suggestions and they still have issues will rippling now occurring wider out.

For you guys buying new games I would be nervous about new purchases like the Elvira LE and Signatures as even with the recent Jurassic's they moved the art and black outline more away from the posts to avoid the issue but some hidden posts left and pooling started again and you have to wonder what will happen to these playfields in a few years time as you won't have Consumer Affairs rights by then.

I was talking to a mate who was a spray painter and now an automotive paint seller and he believes that it is the new eco friendly acrylic paints & clears and they need alot of things to go right - chemical reaction, humidity and environment and time to cure between colour and clears - they need to be similar product brands etc. It has to make you wonder given that chemical reactions etc have to be perfect between the direct to playfield printer ink and clearcoat recipe - has to be perfect.

Here are some comments from the auto industry - on acrylic versus urethane

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/plastics-rubber/urethane-acrylic-automotive/

and this one talks of arcylic clears chipping

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/acrylic-vs-urethane/

then when you read into it the acrylic clears need a suitable base to bite in so a printed playfield artwork / inks may have negative reactions to an acrylic clear.

I created a few alternatives to minimize the issue and hide any pooling for the interim but installing these may void any Stern / JJP warranty so just be aware. I make no money form these (but Shapeways do) BUT if you become a Shapeways member you can download the STL files for free and print your own - just trying to help.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinkspooling

That's the stuff I was thinking may help but I thought of it bei g made of rubber to act like an o ring type cushioning effect

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone received a repro playfield from Mirco recently since these issues have arisen, that can confirm there are no issues with the clear? I am reading so many mixed reports on Pinside..:unsure

The Quicksilver that was at BPAC in Bris had a Mirco repro playfield & had pooling around the sling posts.

So, yes, all Mirco playfields are questionable.

To open another can of worms...

Anyone seen or heard that Mirco uses a vinyl ‘underlay’ for artwork on repro playfields instead of silkscreen or digital printing?

I’ve heard reports of people drilling/repairing Mirco repros & finding plastic shite under the clear that shouldn’t be there.

The Quicksilver that was at BPAC in Bris had a Mirco repro playfield & had pooling around the sling posts.

So, yes, all Mirco playfields are questionable.

To open another can of worms...

Anyone seen or heard that Mirco uses a vinyl ‘underlay’ for artwork on repro playfields instead of silkscreen or digital printing?

I’ve heard reports of people drilling/repairing Mirco repros & finding plastic shite under the clear that shouldn’t be there.

there is some layer of polycarb used but not sure why?

Well going to hold off for now then.

,Was looking at buying at least 2 playfields from Mirco, but the last thing i want after putting over 50 hours in a playfield swap is my playfield chipping or pooling after playing my second ball, i really hope these issues get resolved quickly they are certainly a worry

Apparently AMD do but not check well in my situation as I purchased a new B66 (late 2018) and got it home, played 6 games on the same day and after the excitement of a new game and then checked the game closer to learn the rules and inserts features etc on the same day noticed bubbling / pooling clear around posts and where the apron meets the playfield to the point that if you push it with your finger and the bubble moves around = art / clear separation from the playfield. So yes regardless of travel it is fresh out of the box.

I know a few people with these issues and it appears to be where the clear coat is over art and not necessarily over clear over the timber finish which points to the issue being a reaction / separation between the printed ink and the clearcoat.

When I contacted AMD they were good from one perspective that they said if you are not happy return it for a full refund but would not re-imburse the costs for freight which under Aus law they should but did not want to cause dramas as I wanted to purchase games in the future but was a $500 loss straight up for the freight costs. I do worry for the next person if they got my old machine or if the game was fixed. I was on the list for Munsters but all communication stopped after the B66 return so I'm probably black listed now - sad but I suppose something for your guys to consider.

Regardless of what the Stern Warranty is the Australian Fair Trading law protects you from defective products like blistering, pooling, lifting artwork as this is defective and some of my US friends have had IM populated playfields replaced similar to the GB replacement program but Stern never makes this very public. There are a couple of people that went the rubber washer suggestions and they still have issues will rippling now occurring wider out.

For you guys buying new games I would be nervous about new purchases like the Elvira LE and Signatures as even with the recent Jurassic's they moved the art and black outline more away from the posts to avoid the issue but some hidden posts left and pooling started again and you have to wonder what will happen to these playfields in a few years time as you won't have Consumer Affairs rights by then.

I was talking to a mate who was a spray painter and now an automotive paint seller and he believes that it is the new eco friendly acrylic paints & clears and they need alot of things to go right - chemical reaction, humidity and environment and time to cure between colour and clears - they need to be similar product brands etc. It has to make you wonder given that chemical reactions etc have to be perfect between the direct to playfield printer ink and clearcoat recipe - has to be perfect.

Here are some comments from the auto industry - on acrylic versus urethane

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/plastics-rubber/urethane-acrylic-automotive/

and this one talks of arcylic clears chipping

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/acrylic-vs-urethane/

then when you read into it the acrylic clears need a suitable base to bite in so a printed playfield artwork / inks may have negative reactions to an acrylic clear.

I created a few alternatives to minimize the issue and hide any pooling for the interim but installing these may void any Stern / JJP warranty so just be aware. I make no money form these (but Shapeways do) BUT if you become a Shapeways member you can download the STL files for free and print your own - just trying to help.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinkspooling

Can you please tell us how you think your idea/product will minimise the pooling issue?

Can you please tell us how you think your idea/product will minimise the pooling issue?

I never said that they will solve or minimise but only hide as some people don't like to look at it.

"hide any pooling for the interim"

people have already tried larger plastic washers & neoprene washers under larger star posts and the problem only extends out further. I had a game that had this issue and it frustrated and annoyed me looking at it so this is just a free option for those wanting to cover it up until a possible solution is issued, that's all, just trying to help.

I never said that they will solve or minimise but only hide as some people don't like to look at it.

"hide any pooling for the interim"

people have already tried larger plastic washers & neoprene washers under larger star posts and the problem only extends out further. I had a game that had this issue and it frustrated and annoyed me looking at it so this is just a free option for those wanting to cover it up until a possible solution is issued, that's all, just trying to help.

"I created a few alternatives to minimize the issue and hide any pooling for the interim"

Sorry mate, I took that as minimising the pooling issue, not minimising the visual issues cause by pooling. All good.