Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Pinball What Do I Need To Know.

State
    NSW (Newcastle)
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    723 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherRat View Post
    Oh one other thing. The make up of Pinfest's virtual pinball's will be mine and a couple of Arcooda's from Highway Entertainment. They'll have Pinball FX and Pinball Arcade most likely with VR on Pinball FX.
    I probably should have said that I will only be running Visual Pinball X on mine (at least for Pinfest).

There are so many parts to VP and so many options it can be confusing. I personally don't have interest in Future Pinball as I didn't like the way it played when I tested it. I tried to play it for a while but the physics were not good enough. I've heard that it's improved but I haven't gone back. Pinball Arcade doesn't have a true cabinet mode (unless you have the Arcooda software package which I don't believe is available anymore) and Pinball FX 2 for me was boring as the game times were super long so I haven't really tried Pinball FX 3 although it is apparently much better. For me, Visual Pinball, particularly Visual Pinball X (VPX) is the best choice. It can be a pain to set up but once you do have it running its heaps of fun.

If you want to give Visual Pinball a try, there is an All In One installer that is a massive help (before it, installing was an absolute nightmare). It will set up for you Visual Pinball for the tables, B2S server for the backglasses and VPinMAME which runs the ROMS. Depending on what you want to do, the more difficult stuff comes after that.
    Last edited by JustAnotherRat; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:38 AM.

State
    New South Wales
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)

Thanks mate, i very much doubt that i will build my own. I'm more likely to buy a home made machine that has all the bell's and whistles than a retail machine too if i end up going this way.
    In; Deadpool Pro, The Hobbit Black Arrow
    Genie, Lost World, Hurricane, Spiderman, Royal Flush...
    Out; NEVER
    Looking for;
    Centaur, Tommy, Swords of Fury, Bram Stokers Dracula, Theater of Magic.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1424 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by punkin View Post
    Thanks mate, i very much doubt that i will build my own. I'm more likely to buy a home made machine that has all the bell's and whistles than a retail machine too if i end up going this way.
    In that case, you should definitely speak to @OzStick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by punkin View Post
    I'm betting there is, i just don't know enough about the terms yet to know what info to look for or where to look for it. That's why i first asked the question.

Made it through to the end of that vid with the help of my second cup too.
    You're already in the right section mate, you posted in the right place. (Virtual Pinball Projects and discussion)

https://www.aussiearcade.com/forumdi...and-Discussion

State
    NSW (Newcastle)
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    723 Post(s)
    Thought I'd mention that Highway Entertainment posted on Facebook that they won't be bringing their Arcooda virtual pinball machines now.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

State
    New South Wales
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherRat View Post
    Thought I'd mention that Highway Entertainment posted on Facebook that they won't be bringing their Arcooda virtual pinball machines now.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Aussie Arcade mobile app
    Is that a good thing for me or bad thing? I don't know the company is all and whether they are reputable.
    Out; NEVER
    Looking for;

State
    NSW (Newcastle)
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    723 Post(s)
    They are definitely a reputable company. Whether you like that product or not I can't say and this means you won't get a chance to try it out at Pinfest to see. They will still be there and will be able to answer questions but you don't get the hands on experience.

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2011 Post(s)
    They are a sponsor here so maybe they can chime in ? @Highway Entertainment

State
    New South Wales
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)

Thanks guys i appreciate it. It's a shame as i have an interest for the reasons above.
    Out; NEVER
    Looking for;

State
    Wauchope, midnorth coast NSW
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    I built one years ago for a mate here in Port Macquarie.. and what a bloody pain in the arse it was too (has been the bane of my existence ever since). I only did the cabinet/mechanical/cosmetic part, OzStick took care of the computer side of it.
    He's a member here (or used to be, don't know if he comes on here much anymore) and is always happy to demonstrate it or show it to people who are interested

I always swore would never build another btw

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)
    As others have stated Virtual Pinball is a fun area, however be prepared for a lot of research and work. Building your own from scratch will give you the best knowledge of how everything works but can be quite complex and time consuming. There are a lot of things required to get all the pieces working together so you'll want a good basic understanding of computer files/folders, monitor connections etc..

Even if you buy a pre-made complete machine you'll still eventually need the knowledge of how it works in order to update the tables or fix something that fails. There is no equivalent to a Mame chinese 60in1 type board where you plug it in and forget about it. All VPins run on standard computer components and so require tweaking over time.

That being said it is definitely doable and much easier these days with the all in one installers and myriad of online forums, facebook groups etc... to help you out. If I was you I'd start by going to vpforums.org and downloading the visual pinball all in one installer. Get one or two tables running on a standard desktop PC to give you an idea of how it works and where the downloaded tables and rom files go.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information