Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Virtual Pinball What Do I Need To Know.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I built one years ago for a mate here in Port Macquarie.. and what a bloody pain in the arse it was too (has been the bane of my existence ever since). I only did the cabinet/mechanical/cosmetic part, OzStick took care of the computer side of it.

He's a member here (or used to be, don't know if he comes on here much anymore) and is always happy to demonstrate it or show it to people who are interested

I always swore would never build another btw

As others have stated Virtual Pinball is a fun area, however be prepared for a lot of research and work. Building your own from scratch will give you the best knowledge of how everything works but can be quite complex and time consuming. There are a lot of things required to get all the pieces working together so you'll want a good basic understanding of computer files/folders, monitor connections etc..

Even if you buy a pre-made complete machine you'll still eventually need the knowledge of how it works in order to update the tables or fix something that fails. There is no equivalent to a Mame chinese 60in1 type board where you plug it in and forget about it. All VPins run on standard computer components and so require tweaking over time.

That being said it is definitely doable and much easier these days with the all in one installers and myriad of online forums, facebook groups etc... to help you out. If I was you I'd start by going to vpforums.org and downloading the visual pinball all in one installer. Get one or two tables running on a standard desktop PC to give you an idea of how it works and where the downloaded tables and rom files go.

Thanks mate, there is 0% chance that i'll decide to build myself. my brain doesn't work good enough for that level of comprehension (but i can lift heavy things).

I totally understand. The older I get the less time and energy I have to mess around with builds too. I actually got sick of updating and adding to my vpin over the years so only do it every so often.

Buying a cab is perfectly fine, but I'd still get Visual pinball up and running on another PC so you can have a good play with it. That way if you do buy a cab you know how to go into windows, find the directories where the tables and media are and add or remove things without destroying anything. :)

And my number one piece of advice would be to take a complete backup image of the hdd of your pincab. I image mine onto a spare hdd that I keep at work. So worst case scenario I can always drop in a new hdd and reload my image if anything happens.

Hi again @punkin, it's obvious that you are in need of some assistance and advice, so seriously, GIVE ME A CALL!!!!

Others have referred you to me and I can assure you I don't bite! We can have a chat and I can fill you in on whatever you need to know (and then some) so you can go to Pinfest with a much better idea of what you are looking at, how it works, and what sort of $$$ you may be up for. In addition, there's always a possibility that I could hook you up with something - again, I'm more than happy to discuss that over the phone with you.

My number is on my website, feel free to use it.......

About 6 years ago we started to develop our own custom IO boards, either there were non in the market, or, the parts just did not work. Our background is coin operated arcade and we needed something to be at the same level. First were the joystick cabinets, and some of these components form custom solutions for our video pinball machines.

Lots of tears, betrayals, mistakes….but the Arcooda project is getting very close now.

Our system;

- Self updating software engine

- Fully programmable cabinet functions (no/little experience needed)

- Plug and play (just install latest games or components and they just “play”)

The first project we were working on was with FarSight through our Arcooda company. There are 3 software versions;

- If you already have the Williams/Bally/Gottlieb/Alvin G/Masters of Time games in your Steam library, just buy the cabinet mode which unlocks cabinet mode

- If you are building your own cabinet, welcomed to purchase the 76 game pack – it’s a self installation software pack of 76 games (Licensed). It supports variable plunger/nudge supporting 2 or 3 monitor function as well as 3D Kinect game play. This is plug and play, just like buying a game disc from EB Games, but designed for full sized pinball machine.

- The Arcooda cabinet version. It allows a variety of custom software and gaming options.

All above software kits are available, the first 2 can ship immediately. The Arcooda cabinet version will only ship with the machines when they are released.

For anyone interested in video pinball and what is coming, please visit us at Pinfest (punkin - looking forward to seeing you). Whilst we are not showing our full sized machines, we will show some behind the scenes development and if there is serious interest we might have a closed session to explain the current roadmap.

A short video of our previous game development is below;

[video=youtube;NsEvaFi3-sA]

Our system/Engine, is independent of VPX (Arcooda is a completely different software engine).

However, our cabinets support VPX or Future, or Android, etc... its based on an "all in one" concept. We are not locking you to just one platform and if you want to install VP or other software, its no problem and will function on our machines.

Ahhh, so will they switch between one and another just with a button or key stroke or does it have to be installed/deleted etc?

Had a look at your web site, i think you are well out of my budget for this but will definitely catch up at Pinfest and pick your brain if that's ok.

Ahhh, so will they switch between one and another just with a button or key stroke or does it have to be installed/deleted etc?

Had a look at your web site, i think you are well out of my budget for this but will definitely catch up at Pinfest and pick your brain if that's ok.

You can switch between the software system with a key stroke. Welcomed to visit us at Pinfest.

I always swore would never build another btw

I hear that. I've made two, a rough prototype then a full build, never again :lol

They are awesome fun but the software side of things is enough to send you round the twist, and i've been using VP in a cab for years.

It's all the independant pieces of software that cobble together to make the whole, think the leaning tower of pisa.

Some might disagree but the software side is what makes me not turn on my cab much at all these days

Virtual Pinball What Do I Need To Know.

Ok. Here I am [emoji3]

As Jed said, the software side can do your head in, but as others have said, if you spend the time and do your research, then it’s not so bad.

What is so bad is deciding what to use and how you want it to look.

Basics first

PinMame / Vpinmame

- run emulation of Virtual Pinball

Cabinet / Full Screen Mode

- runs on a vertical monitor for full cabinets

Desktop Mode

- runs on normal screen orientation

B2S/DB2S (BG to screen)

- sends BG to 2nd monitor

PinballX/HyperPin

- front ends that look nice and are easy to pick/choose games to play as well as loading.

VP (Visual Pinball)

FP (Future Pinball)

B2S (BG 2 screen)

all run behind the front end automatically and unseen once set up correctly.

Then there’s all the extra add ons

My build I did 12 mths research, set ups, design how I’d like to have it look.

Ended up going big BG and 1:1 ratio so that old games don’t stretch

Left nudge as buttons for now but will maybe change that later.

No solenoids yet but will be adding.

Built mine ready for Pinfest #1.

Things have come a long way in 8 years.

It never replaces the “feel” of real pinball, but you can’t own them all.

Every table can be tweaked to your own liking, and best of all, you can design/ build original tables too.

So do your research

Think what you would like

Play as many different types as you can.

I’ll link to my build as there’s more info.

Dedpin : 46" 46" 2 screen pincab build : an ongoing saga

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=18421&share_tid=44329&share_pid=1058094&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaussiearcade%2Ecom%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D1058094&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good information thank you. I must admit i haven't rung @OzStick yet, mostly because i hate talking on the phone, but also because i don't even know what questions to ask and don't feel i'm even on the edge of comprehension.

Just sort of putting it off for a couple weeks till i get down to Pinfest and see a couple of them.

I have been eyeing the one off on the book in the buy sell pinball group. Seems closer to my budget and a newer commercial style 4k build.

Good information thank you. I must admit i haven't rung @OzStick yet, mostly because i hate talking on the phone, but also because i don't even know what questions to ask and don't feel i'm even on the edge of comprehension.

Just sort of putting it off for a couple weeks till i get down to Pinfest and see a couple of them.

I have been eyeing the one off on the book in the buy sell pinball group. Seems closer to my budget and a newer commercial style 4k build.

$4K mark seems about on the money for a 4K build.

Mine ended up around $5K back then, but that was with

2x 46” screens

I7 cpu and 2x best gpu

Custom lockbar

Real door

Trim kits and rails

Commercial style custom built power switching unit

Now days you get same size screen in 4K for less.

Can buy cheap power switching boards

1xgpu not 2

Cheaper cpu

So once you pick some brains at Pinfest, you will then be armed with the knowledge you need to delve in.

@JustAnotherRat came over and pick my brain and thru my machine to work out what he wanted to do.

• Administrators
$4K mark seems about on the money for a 4K build.

Mine ended up around $5K back then, but that was with

2x 46” screens

I7 cpu and 2x best gpu

Custom lockbar

Real door

Trim kits and rails

Commercial style custom built power switching unit

Now days you get same size screen in 4K for less.

Can buy cheap power switching boards

1xgpu not 2

Cheaper cpu

So once you pick some brains at Pinfest, you will then be armed with the knowledge you need to delve in.

@JustAnotherRat came over and pick my brain and thru my machine to work out what he wanted to do.

Yeah you really need to take the time and take offers of help up from people like OZSTICK and Dedrok and make the right decisions the first time.

How many times have we seen people get over their heads here on AA or buy some piece of crap and want to be spoon fed everything without putting any effort into it themselves? Many of the members here on AA deserve medals for the amount of time they hand out freely.

Good luck with your machine Punkin. Looking forward to seeing what you end up getting :)

No worries mate, not sure i'll end up getting anything yet until I've seen and played one. I may hate it like some others have.

But i am interested in it for the variety.

Even if you buy one fully made up and ready to go, you are going to need to know how to update it and how to fix things when they go wrong.

You'll need to know how to update VP, Db2S, Vpinmame, roms, tables, backglasses, then later how to edit and assign sounds, how to tweak table settings if you don't like flipper strengths or lighting levels.

you will definitely need to know the ins and outs of the software - buying a turnkey solution isn't the end of the story.... amazing new games come out that will only work under VP version (x.x) and you'll need to update things to enjoy them.

I'm not trying to put a damper on a VP (even though you might tell i have a love/hate relationship with mine) but they definitely require a certain amount of technical ability and patience in dealing with issues as they happen.

Clint's is a nice build - playing his at Pinfest this year will be a good example of a home build and where VP is currently at. @JustAnotherRat have you put in the exciters? I remember playing your machine with skids and MrBungle at Pinfest a couple years back, and they didn't have them.

Yes, I added exciters last year (they were in for last year's Pinfest). They disappointingly aren't really loud enough in that environment but are still a great addition. You do get the feedback but struggle to hear them there.

I have just replaced the PC and am getting it configured but it's not too far off from being ready now.