Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Pinball What Do I Need To Know.

State
    New South Wales
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)

Virtual Pinball What Do I Need To Know.

Hi all, was going to wait till i got to Pinfest to see what it's all about and pick some brains.
    However, i think that having some basic knowledge first is going to help me have a proper discussion about it as i know bugger all so far. I don't even know what a mame is.

My interest is in using it to try tables that i may be interested in or don't have rather than it being my one in all pinball machine. I do know from reading a post here and there that a home built machine with proper solenoids etc is going to be a much better machine and i don't have the time, skills or energy to build one, but don't know what i am after or what the price ranges should be.

If someone can point me to some threads (must have been discussed before) where i can start my study it would be welcomed.

Saw this so thought it a good time to ask.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1509...70304813278041
    In; Deadpool Pro, The Hobbit Black Arrow
    Genie, Lost World, Hurricane, Spiderman, Royal Flush...
    Out; NEVER
    Looking for;
    Centaur, Tommy, Swords of Fury, Bram Stokers Dracula, Theater of Magic.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1421 Post(s)
    EDIT: Not worth stirring shit, someone else can if they wish.

The link you posted is a build by a company that does not have a good rep on here. If you do buy one of those, you'd want to check very carefully that everything works as advertised.

State
    New South Wales
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)

Ok, i'm not interested in buying, but thanks for the heads up. Sure i would have found out if i researched them if i was interested.

I'm after a conversation and some links to start learning about what these machines are all about.

I'm positive if i do buy one it's more than likely going to built by someone here.
    Out; NEVER
    Looking for;

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by punkin View Post
    Hi all, was going to wait till i got to Pinfest to see what it's all about and pick some brains.
    However, i think that having some basic knowledge first is going to help me have a proper discussion about it as i know bugger all so far. I don't even know what a mame is.

My interest is in using it to try tables that i may be interested in or don't have rather than it being my one in all pinball machine. I do know from reading a post here and there that a home built machine with proper solenoids etc is going to be a much better machine and i don't have the time, skills or energy to build one, but don't know what i am after or what the price ranges should be.

If someone can point me to some threads (must have been discussed before) where i can start my study it would be welcomed.

Saw this so thought it a good time to ask.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1509...70304813278041

M.A.M.E. = Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator = Emulator upon which you can run ROMs from a file of the original video game ROM.

PinMAME = As above, but for running Pinball ROMs as a file in a virtual environment, either for Virtual Pinball or for real pinballs as an alternative to the OEM hardware. The latter it seems has become somewhat redundant with the rise of such things as Rottendog, Altek, Pascal and P-roc.

Could well be less than 100% correct, but that is the way I understand it. I got into pinball through Virtual Pinball, but after finding my first real Pin I never could handle going back. My VP stuff is long since gone, and I couldn't even give it away. I don't miss it at all, it simply is not like pinball, the ball is Not wild .... to me just a glorified video game nowdays. However, it still has it's place, more for some than others. Individual preference.

Imho watching gameplay videos of a game that interests you is probably as useful as trying it on VP, watching vids actually I think is More useful. But playing the real pin somewhere will always give the best indication.

Having said all that, if you like the feel of virtual when you try it somewhere, might as well go for it.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    I think retro play have some good virtual machines from what I have noticed . Has anyone ever tried these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

State
    New South Wales
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
    M.A.M.E. = Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator = Emulator upon which you can run ROMs from a file of the original video game ROM.

PinMAME = As above, but for running Pinball ROMs as a file in a virtual environment, either for Virtual Pinball or for real pinballs as an alternative to the OEM hardware. The latter it seems has become somewhat redundant with the rise of such things as Rottendog, Altek, Pascal and P-roc.

Could well be less than 100% correct, but that is the way I understand it. I got into pinball through Virtual Pinball, but after finding my first real Pin I never could handle going back. My VP stuff is long since gone, and I couldn't even give it away. I don't miss it at all, it simply is not like pinball, the ball is Not wild .... to me just a glorified video game nowdays. However, it still has it's place, more for some than others. Individual preference.

Imho watching gameplay videos of a game that interests you is probably as useful as trying it on VP, watching vids actually I think is More useful. But playing the real pin somewhere will always give the best indication.

Having said all that, if you like the feel of virtual when you try it somewhere, might as well go for it.
    Thank you mate. One of the young guys who comes to our comps plays an Ipad thingo and does most of his pinball like that, although he still plays any machine he sees.

Good tip to watch youtube, just never done that or thought about it as i didn't see the value for that purpose until it was pointed out.

I'll wait till i feel one, meantime any other opinions or info is always appreciated.
    Out; NEVER
    Looking for;

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1422 Post(s)
    I've had both vp and real pinballs and all i have left is my vp. Built it about 5 years ago.

While it's true that vp can never be as good as real pinball, the latest games coming out are amazing and FREE.

It's a steep learning curve with different apps to learn about if you want to play multi screen in a full pinball cab. But worth it. There really isn't any better way to learn real machines than being able to play absolutely anything - including the most rare machines like Krull.

One thing i found really cool about going to my first Pinfest years ago was all the machines there I'd already played in VP. And it really helps with having a good game.

There's a section for VP on AA where you can mine for lots of info.
    @JustAnotherRat will have his vp at pinfest this year again so maybe word him up!

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by punkin View Post
    Thank you mate. One of the young guys who comes to our comps plays an Ipad thingo and does most of his pinball like that, although he still plays any machine he sees.

Good tip to watch youtube, just never done that or thought about it as i didn't see the value for that purpose until it was pointed out.

I'll wait till i feel one, meantime any other opinions or info is always appreciated.
    Cool!

Another way VP is good for some, is for learning rules or strategies. I can't help have the feeling though, that this could possibly counter or undermine the good it would do by getting one in a different groove (eg. on an ipad you are using different finger muscles, and what about the triceps? lol ).... might it be better to just watch PAPA tutorials at the gym?

Anyway, all still interesting none the less. On a slight tangent (which there's another thread for) I'm thinking more and more about p3-MM ... ... .....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    I've had both vp and real pinballs and all i have left is my vp. Built it about 5 years ago.

While it's true that vp can never be as good as real pinball, the latest games coming out are amazing and FREE.

It's a steep learning curve with different apps to learn about if you want to play multi screen in a full pinball cab. But worth it. There really isn't any better way to learn real machines than being able to play absolutely anything - including the most rare machines like Krull.

One thing i found really cool about going to my first Pinfest years ago was all the machines there I'd already played in VP. And it really helps with having a good game.

There's a section for VP on AA where you can mine for lots of info.
    @JustAnotherRat will have his vp at pinfest this year again so maybe word him up!
    Sounds pretty cool!

I know things have come a long way just in the 3-4 years since I was playing. I always thought it would be awesome, when I first heard of them, to have VP in your cabinet on one of those Holo Sandtable displays... 3D! That would take some crazy silicone and code to run that s#**!! . Now VR headset looks interesting as well, and only need a console that is the lockdown section of the pin? Big space savings, true VR .

Ultimately I am drawn to physical pinball I guess because I am a mechanic and fitter/machinist. I like the mechanical things. VP is still cool, but I found it a challenge switching to and fro, and other personal preferences.

The next few years in All things pinball is going to be pretty interesting I think... and Big.

State
    New South Wales
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)

Thanks @Jed . Can you link me to the section as the terms are really confusing for me so far.

The pie wheel of games that would be at Pinfest got me interested i think it was like 4 or 8% of games would be virtual.

Have to say i'm not much good at youtube, bores me pretty quick. I don't want a virtual machine to replace my machines, just for learning.

I have read about the slide/nudges work somehow backwards and move the ball rather than the table and wouldn't buy a notebook to play one. Still i'm interested.

edit; my mate said that some of the games he plays have dodgy weak flippers etc, said he played virtual Hurricane and it was nowhere near as crisp as my machine. Is this because they are modelled on worn out machines?
    Out; NEVER
    Looking for;

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Where all knowledge begins these days
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Pinball

Sent from my CPH1701 using Aussie Arcade mobile app
    Wanted: Aquarius backglass, any Gottlieb EM bits and pieces - nothing is junk to me

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information