Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

First Candy Cab

Picked up my first Candy Cab this week. Looking for some information please.

Does anyone know what type of multi-board it has installed from the photos? I'd like to find an instruction sheet for it if one exists.

Also are the cabinet graphics available to buy anywhere? As you can see the control panel decal is peeling.

What is the best type of joysticks and buttons to install?

2.thumb.jpg.7788748071d361b827a04d67d7d5434f.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.0ebaebf9b49110ab5f9cd700d6c2ec6a.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.f4d706122f4c42b1d0ac221459f63470.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.2c285798b079c237ed4cde5978d9039d.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.136dd6a997b3225704b6f4e2ccb4f331.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.3d74f580b2a5f31f67aec707f1fd0cde.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.9683620915deeaedc4b78b531bbb0e42.jpg

It is a candy cab, but it's a Chinese clone, rather than an original Japanese cab.

The Blue Storms were quite common and there are a fair few of them in Aus. The multiboard looks like your standard XXXX-in-1 JAMMA board, which runs a PC with a JAMMA edge connector.

They are pretty unreliable, with the Hdds and RAM being the major points of failure. They generally run a fairly locked down version of Chinese Windows, usually 2000 or XP.

No idea about the decals, I expect they would never have been reproduced, as it's a clone cab. You can buy Japanese decals, but that's because the market for them was larger.

EDIT: As for joysticks and buttons, when it comes to candy cabs, Sanwa is the general choice for most people. Others like Seimitsu, different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for all the info namastepat. It's in nice shape and very clean without any yellowing of the plastic. What would you replace the multiboard with to make it more reliable? Where can I buy the Japanese decals? I'll look for a set of Sanwa joysticks and buttons.

A true jamma board is oing to be easiest, and if in good shape most reliable, but you only get one game. A multiboard is about as easy, and after that an rPi is more work but gives a better result because you set it up to do what you want. And a PC is even more work but even more flexible.

Thanks for all the info namastepat. It's in nice shape and very clean without any yellowing of the plastic. What would you replace the multiboard with to make it more reliable? Where can I buy the Japanese decals? I'll look for a set of Sanwa joysticks and buttons.

If the board is working, just keep it in there until it dies. If you did want to replace it, then Pandora's Box 6 would be your easiest and cheapest way to do so.

The Japanese decals would likely not fit, as they were made for specific cabinets like the Astro and Blast City. You could likely contact @MamePatrol to get him to print you up some new decals based on the size of your control panel.

Thanks again namastepat . After reading up on the Pandora Box 6, I've ordered one as it has a great list of titles and being able to categorise the games is a huge advantage rather than scrolling through a massive list of titles. Looking forward to installing it when it arrives. Will also look into Sanwa joysticks and buttons from Ozstick.

Will try contacting MamePatrol for help with new decals, thanks for the tip!

- - - Updated - - -

A true jamma board is oing to be easiest, and if in good shape most reliable, but you only get one game. A multiboard is about as easy, and after that an rPi is more work but gives a better result because you set it up to do what you want. And a PC is even more work but even more flexible.

I'll have to read up on the rPi, thanks for the advice!

• 3 years later...