Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Keepers

Ceemunkey

Hi all!

Pretty new to the forum - and I suppose relatively new to pinball having my own machines only for the past few years.

Now I've swapped out pins a lot over that time - I only have room for 3-4 machines max so when something new or enticing comes along I have to make room by moving one along. I'm sure this is a "problem" a lot of us face... :)

But - I seem to find myself in the position now where I've owned my current set for a while but I absolutely do not want any of them to go, and can't see me getting bored for a long time yet. They all offer something a little different in play style and all themes that i love.

Currently I have:

Lord of the Rings LE

X-men Magneto LE

Ghostbusters (premium)

Attack From Mars Remake LE

Yes, I know those are all considered to be generally top machines, but I've owned others like Twilight Zone and Theatre of Magic that just didn't quite have the same pull as these. Also i would say that my #1 of those would be X-Men - which in ranking/popularity terms would be lowest on that list (according to the bible that is Pinside). The only machine i've sold but would love to get back would be The Shadow, what a kickass game that was, and I only moved it on because I really wanted GB.

So - what are your keepers and why? What makes a pin stay in your collection long term (if you are lucky enough to actually have a collection)?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stern Meteor and Williams Fish Tales are not leaving my collection for a while, if ever. Both such amazingly simple and fun games.

For me, a pin that stays long term has to have good flow. I don't like stop/start games. I like games where the ball is always coming back to the flippers fast. It's why I love Fish Tales with the boat ramp, so much fun to spam and so easy to brick shots when you mess up.

Welcome to AA.

Firstly, Pinside ranking is far from the Bible so get that out of your head:)

There are two types of games that keep me going back.

The ones that frustrate the crap out of me like TNA and Paragon, both frustrate me so much I must play again to beat it.

Then there's the games like ACCA and MM which put a smile on my face before hitting the start button again.

Ha ha yeah I should have quoted that Pinside "bible" reference. It was a poor attempt at sarcasm. Although it's generally a good yardstick of how a machine ranks it in no way accounts for personal taste and that was more the point I was trying to make.

Agree with @toads - a game like GB frustrates the hell out of me, but I think the difficulty makes you want one more go to beat it. Plus in my case the love of the theme overrides what could be considered flaws.

Any machine that you can beat easy is not a good machine and never was. My judgement was always to target the high earners because they were hard to beat but it could be done but could also give you a good spanking. It was that Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde in any machine that made it a great earner.

The new machines are a mix as in some are crap but there are some diamonds but that has always been the case over all the eras. There are a couple of rules worthy of noting, the latest is not necessarily the best and because I own it doesn't make it is a great machine.

A very basic check I like to do with any machine is set the machine factory including replay score and play a couple of games. If you can beat that score within the 1st couple of games and the machine is factory settings, you don't want it.

The ratio of win a free game to loose should always be around 10% and that ratio shouldn't change a great deal while you own it. If it does, the machine was never built with the right amount of luck VS skill required. It is this luck VS skill ratio that truly does make a great game great but it is also the hardest part for the manufacturers to get right.

Wow, now there's a question for the age's.

Everyone has an opinion and they will be all different.

I have Getaway, Jurassic Park, Hook, NBA Fastbreak, Close Encounters and Bally Mariner. So DMD, SS and an EM. Love them all and have no intention of moving any on. If I had to pick one right now it would be Hook, but the playfield art is amazing and the game so different now with the homebrew ROM installed. This is why I have 2 machines in the lounge and one in the kitchen LOL

The EM always kicks my arse so short gameplay LOL

Ha ha yeah I should have quoted that Pinside "bible" reference. It was a poor attempt at sarcasm. Although it's generally a good yardstick of how a machine ranks it in no way accounts for personal taste and that was more the point I was trying to make.

Agree with @toads - a game like GB frustrates the hell out of me, but I think the difficulty makes you want one more go to beat it. Plus in my case the love of the theme overrides what could be considered flaws.

I lost all and any respect for that list once I discovered they class a pitch and bat game as a pinball! :boring:

How can they include Slugfest in the top 100 pinballs? ... that list has become a running joke :lol

Still it is IPDB over PS for me.

Some of my keepers include: Whitewater, Alien Star, Swords of Fury, Space Station, TNA and Batman Forever... ahhh heck, might as well just say All of them :rolleyes

For me it's Tom , Creech and Firepower.

But now I have the resources to fully customise I'm going back to games that I like a lot more once modified to my.....taste.!

Eg, just bought my 3rd Dracula!

Only regret was letting my minty AFM go.

Don't miss any of the other A listers I've owned, MM, WH2O, CV, SS, MB, TZ, TOTAN, IJ.

20190811_180226.jpeg.3c4e8ae51d1d348c6ddf408d5f709c12.jpeg

Edited by KJS

Currently I have:

Lord of the Rings LE

X-men Magneto LE

Ghostbusters (premium)

Attack From Mars Remake LE

Have you ever beaten LOTR? That's the #1 game I want, but I always play for progress, never for score, so I can't imagine wanting to keep playing it if I ever actually finished it.

I don’t play many of my games so a keeper for me comes down to its rarity or wow factor if I walk in and go **** that’s cool I keep it.

My Ten strike and king of swat are 2 of my games I’ve actually played when I’m home alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got room for 8 or 10 depending if I wanted to jam them in or just have them lineup up nicely and I guess 6 out of my current 8 are “keepers”. It’s hard to say what order those keepers would leave in if I ever had to or decided to change things up. I think the order I might sell them in order of last to leave to first would be TWDLE, WH2O, WOZ, Xmen, Iron man, Houdini, Star Wars and well whilst rob zombie is technically mine I bought it for a mate so it’s not really mine. But selling any of that 7 is going to be hard because I actually enjoy all of those games. I might just need a bigger house...

Have you ever beaten LOTR? That's the #1 game I want, but I always play for progress, never for score, so I can't imagine wanting to keep playing it if I ever actually finished it.

Nope I haven't finished it and from what I can gather getting to the final mode on it (Valinor) is next to impossible. If you really like playing a pin to progress a story it certainly is one of the best. I've completed Destroy the Ring mode on it many times and quite honestly it never gets old.

Many years ago I was doing some research on pinball and Bally sent me some info. It included something I've never forgotten - a good game is one where the player feels they are on the verge of success. My keepers are Aquarius (came from the Luna Park auction), High Hand, Grand Slam (sorry Tony), Flash and Nugent.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Aussie Arcade mobile app