Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Metallica coming to OZ

If you are going to belittle one of the best and most enduring heavy metal bands around

perhaps use spell check before you do

!

I think he is joking about a band he likes.

Hopefully this will help you lighten up a little

lars.jpg.3e26378715f908224c77c25460595f6e.jpg

On a serious Note, Seems like its going tobe a big concert, They are advertising the hell out of it on social media, must have appeared like 100 times on my FB page already in the last week or so.

Edited by jason1

!

I think he is joking about a band he likes.

Hopefully this will help you lighten up a little

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144322[/ATTACH]

On a serious Note, Seems like its going tobe a big concert, They are advertising the hell out of it on social media, must have appeared like 100 times on my FB page already in the last week or so.

I must have missed the joke

seems he could've said fresh out of the retirement home for laughs?

no?

anyway

At near $200 for a basic seated ticket they should be ashamed of themselves... it's not like Slipknot or Metallica are struggling musicians who need to sell merch just to get some petrol money to make it to their next show.

At near $200 for a basic seated ticket they should be ashamed of themselves... it's not like Slipknot or Metallica are struggling musicians who need to sell merch just to get some petrol money to make it to their next show.

You haven't seen the price of tickets lately.

In fairness $260 is pretty up there though for GA standing,

I go to about 3-4 big concerts a year, that price range for GA is well above average, I would say $150 would be typical for GA in most cases for shows that sell out in minutes.

$260 is more than a typical Festival that has 20 big bands.

Obviously there are bands who do charge even more than that.

I cant see what the high tier tickets are worth, as they need a pre-order loggin currently.

I often GO VIP to concerts, Id hate to think what the VIP prices are at this show.

the cheapest I can see if $130 for obstructed view seats, or right at the back so they would be a waste of time, I made the mistake once of buying one of those seats on a sold out concert where that was my only choice lol. was horrible. I feel venues shouldnt even offer those tickets for sale, they are that bad

I work in the music industry ... so i'm pretty sure i have. I've worked with many local and overseas acts and i have a good idea of the logistics and costs involved with putting these types of shows together and i disagree with the amount of greed i'm seeing from the booking agents and tour organisers, everyone wants their 10%.

I work in the music industry ... so i'm pretty sure i have. I've worked with many local and overseas acts and i have a good idea of the logistics and costs involved with putting these types of shows together and i disagree with the amount of greed i'm seeing from the booking agents and tour organisers, everyone wants their 10%.

that is a fair point.

It does in many cases come down to what the bands request as their fees are outragous in many cases. I heard An interview with Maynard Keenan, who was complaining about a Big Australian Festival not offering him a fair price on his second act he was bringing along with his main band tool who were headlining.

He was saying how his second act was using all the equipment and road crew that tool has so was saving the event allot of money as they didnt have to pay for the equipment tobe shipped over, also saving the event money on accommodation and food and all those costs of the roadies which the event organizers pay for, Which really sounds like these big bands have 0 over heads, Which is typical as event organizers cover all the bands costs.

He was Saying he had to push really hard for fair payment for his second act, He was complaining that he was being shafted due to the other greedy bands who were requesting everything under the sun, which virtually left a tighter budget with the organizers to pay other bands fairly.

He was saying the sum of money these guys were asking was crazy, often asking for cuts in the alcohol sales as well, even after being paid millions of bucks just to just turn up. He couldnt understand why these bands were asking so much which was screwing the smaller acts like his second act, who dont have the same luxury. He said even though his main act was headlining the show they wouldnt dare ask what the other bands were asking, as he understood the end users are the ones who pay and that these festivals are only around if the event makes money, Hence why he was annoyed when he was saving the venue allot of money by sharing equipment with Tool and was the one being shafted because of the greed of other bands.

The big bands them selves are the problem with these ticket prices, I do feel sorry for event organizers, they cover all the costs and do the hard work and take all the risks if a band decides to pull out. they try and make buck for their effort, and the end user are the ones who pay.

There are definitely cases where some bands are Greedier than others which contribute to high ticket prices.

EDIT, The Interview with Maynard im discussing, Ive looked back and was not touring Under Tool with that show, It was A perfect circle and his second act was Puscifer, and was Puscifer using APC's equipment and road crew, not Tools. Metallica was presumably one of the headline acts which is the complaint was made about as they were the headline.

So please read my above comment with A Perfect Circle as the act, not Tool. APC and Puscifer are both independent acts that are self funded with the same front man as Tool for those who dont know.

Edited by jason1

Fully agree.

There's two problems (that I can see) at the core here.

Major record label's used to make significant amounts of cash from the sale of physical products (records, cd's, video, etc). As the sale of these formats waned, the record companies' mitigatingly compensated themselves' by introducing what's known now as '360 deals', which in essence are contract's between artist and label, where the label takes a percentage of ALL revenue streams relative to the artist.

One of the things these deals have done to the consumer over the last fifteen years or so, is to significantly jack up the market price of live concert tickets for artist/bands contracted to major labels (Yes... Roadrunner are a major label :realmad:).

The big bands them selves are the problem with these ticket prices...

EDIT: (Hey Jason, you posted (the above quote) as I was composing my post... I hope you understand that I agree that many big bands' negligence are a problem, and hope I've shown (or will show) you that the greed may lie elsewhere) [/EDIT]

The second problem is that both Metallica and Slipknot became very successful recording artists before the introduction of industry standard 360 deals.

What happens when an 'alternative' band or artist reaches a tipping point level of popularity, it becomes progressively easier for them to let other people control more and more of the business aspect (from my understanding, Pearl Jam is one band who have not allowed this to happen).

It wouldn't surprize me to learn that none of the member's of Slipknot/Metallica are aware of how prohibitively expensive their concert tickets are, and that if quizzed on exorbitant concert ticket prices, the 'other people' would claim that they're just charging market value.

It seems more likely to myself, that both bands are fully letting other people look after everything but the music and album artwork.

Why I fully agree with you, spudly, is because 'rock' music and amped up guitars are way way way on the decline, and I feel that smoking bands like Metallica and Slipknot should be leading the charge in making their concert tickets affordable to influential teenagers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_in_the_Van

Cheers,

G

Edited by GEE

What happens when an 'alternative' band or artist reaches a tipping point level of popularity, it becomes progressively easier for them to let other people control more and more of the business aspect (from my understanding, Pearl Jam is one band who have not allowed this to happen).

It wouldn't surprize me to learn that none of the member's of Slipknot/Metallica are aware of how prohibitively expensive their concert tickets are, and that if quizzed on exorbitant concert ticket prices, the 'other people' would claim that they're just charging market value.

Id say for many bands that would be the case, especially in the early years, likely have no control over anything.

But How little power would Metallica actually have with a label?

I wouldnt imagine they could be pushed around to easily.

there are some bands who get to a certain level that would have even the head of the biggest label on earth bend over and take it from behind if the Band requested it.

Metallica are pretty brutal business wise, we all remember the Napster thingy, Im not sure they are a band who are just along for the ride.

They have ownership of much of their content now dont they with the Blackened label?

Lars getting us back for the Napster days i reckon with those prices. I think it was about $70 back in the early 90's when i seen them last

- - - Updated - - -

The Net worth of Metallica is more than $850 million yep doing it hard. $3500 for a meet and greet. They should pick out 100 tickets for each concert Greed!

Id say for many bands that would be the case, especially in the early years, likely have no control over anything.

But How little power would Metallica actually have with a label?

I wouldnt imagine they could be pushed around to easily.

there are some bands who get to a certain level that would have even the head of the biggest label on earth bend over and take it from behind if the Band requested it.

Metallica are pretty brutal business wise, we all remember the Napster thingy, Im not sure they are a band who are just along for the ride.

They have ownership of much of their content now dont they with the Blackened label?

It's all good, Jason, however you may be missing my sentiment.

I don't feel that Metallica are being pushed around... I feel that they've become part of the system, therefore should/could use their influence to contract kids to genuine music.

My ears rang for three days back in the 90’s concert
... I think it was about $70 back in the early 90's when i seen them last

What did you guys think of Kyuss?

Our 13yo so wants to go

Go fund me - I'll chuck in a lobster.

I don't suppose there's many non Metallica fans reading this post (perhaps maybe Pat), however like 'em or not, both Metallica and Slipknot's music is genuine stuff.

I prefer a player who had more skill in two fingers than the entirety of Slipknot and Metallica, and with an attitude of 'If I'm not where you want me to be, then I am where I aim'.

Cheers,

G

Lars getting us back for the Napster days i reckon with those prices. I think it was about $70 back in the early 90's when i seen them last

- - - Updated - - -

The Net worth of Metallica is more than $850 million yep doing it hard. $3500 for a meet and greet. They should pick out 100 tickets for each concert Greed!

wow, $3500 for the VIP, thats insane, No band is worth that. Ive been to my fair share of VIP meet and greets, $500-$600 is typical for a big Band.

and with 100 other people in the room and very big restrictions on what you can and cant ask, you see the band for 10 minutes whole they sit in front of you on chairs, Sometimes get a photo and if your lucky you may get to ask a 20second question. but with 100 people competing your very lucky to get a question in.

some bands are also more greedier with the VIP packages than others, Ive been to bands that Will give you a big bag of really good stuff along with the VIP, with teeshirts, towels and signed posters and so on, with early entry, then others have just given you a couple of cheap stickers and usher you back to GA standing late so you dont even get a good standing position.

so for $3500 you would expect to be offered a hot groupie for a few hours, a boot full of Merch and stand on stage for that sort of money, ahaha

I don't feel that Metallica are being pushed around... I feel that they've become part of the system,

That would certainly be the case.

Edited by jason1

What did you guys think of Kyuss?

G

I saw the ...And Justice For All show in Sydney .. then they released that soft core Black Album shit and it turned me off them... but when i heard they were touring it with Kyuss i near had a heart attack.. I watched Kyuss and Metallica three times in one week. Kyuss will always be in my top five fave bands.

... Kyuss will always be in my top five fave bands.

Although Kyuss don't resonate exactly that way with me... I like you.

Kyuss are currently in my top twenty or so, however there's millions of bands I've never heard before.

Cheers,

G

I saw the ...And Justice For All show in Sydney .. then they released that soft core Black Album shit and it turned me off them... but when i heard they were touring it with Kyuss i near had a heart attack.. I watched Kyuss and Metallica three times in one week. Kyuss will always be in my top five fave bands.

I was at the Syd Ent Centre show. That’s the last time I saw them. Wasn’t the guy from QOTSA something to do with Kyuss back then?

I was at the Syd Ent Centre show. That’s the last time I saw them. Wasn’t the guy from QOTSA something to do with Kyuss back then?

Absolutely.. Josh Homme was the Kyuss guitarist from day one .. when they split, he and two other members formed Queens and the rest is history. But for me, and this is just my opinion, QOTSA lost their groove after Songs for the Deaf... and a few years back when John Garcia and Brant Bjork wanted to reform Kyuss... Josh wouldn't have it and threatened to take legal action if they did... so they reformed as Kyuss Lives and toured without him ..and it made me very happy.

• 2 weeks later...