Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Berzerk To Frenzy To Multigame

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

IMG_20191119_163824.jpg

Boards finally arrived today and look fantastic. Alignment matches the prototype and aligns well with the Berzerk CPU board sockets however still having an issue with one row of pins not aligning on the rom socket (Not the whole socket just one side). I believe this is due to the crappy old single wipe sockets on the board throwing the alignment for that side out, I'll probably have to swap them all out for dual wipes..

I'll try fitting it in my spare CPU board, I'm confident it will be ok.

Next revision I'm going to add in a jumper to disable the on board select switch, add in a header and make up a remote game select board that can be mounted anywhere. Naturally I had an idea after I sent these to get manufactured, luckily these 10 only cost $5 USD...9 boards wasted though :(

Nice work, I have a few lots of boards from first revisions with minor errors the can be fixed with trace cuts or jumpers. Even though they only cost a few bucks I can't bring myself to throw them out. Edited by Kaizen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

IMG_20191212_112253.jpg

Version 1.1 of my board came yesterday. I made a huge mistake in my first revision, the center rom was off by exactly 1mm so I couldn't even test it....5$ USA down the drain :b lesson learned right there.

In revision 1.1 I've added a jumper to disable the onboard game selection switch so you can use an external switch mounted where ever you like.

IMG_20191212_112146_1.jpg IMG_20191212_112204.jpg

Put it all together and it actually worked after some reprogramming to the gal.

I made 2 mistakes which I missed on the first revision due to not being able to test it.

1. For what ever reason I added an unnecessary output enable line to the ram using an extra pin on the gal. On my prototype the rom and ram share the same OE from the gal.....what was I thinking? No biggy I just added in a few extra lines to the Gal code but I'll rectify this in the final revision.

2. I went to put the socket in for the Gal and came to the realisation that the spacing was was too big! Another lesson learned don't trust the component templates in Easy EDA.

There was no way I was wasting more PCB's so I bent the pins out on the sockets and soldered them to the through holes. It's not obvious in the pics which is a bonus :p

So this portion of the project is complete. I'm now satisfied enough to get my Berzerk cab back together and running.

I'm still going to play around with the Frenzy code in MAME debug mode at some point and sort out the dips. I'll probably just hard code them to the default bonus values.

If you are making a PCB the has to line up perfectly you can export the PCB to PDF as 1:1, print it off and check it lines up. Same for pin spacing, it's hard to tell when looking at it on screen but once you print it you'll be able to see straight away if it's not right.

• Administrators

IMAG0268.jpg

I wanted to verify that my Berzerk/Frenzy Multigame worked on a stock unmodified board. My other board was heavily modified to run Frenzy as per the start of this whole adventure but for reliability I want it on my other board too. I might sell a few of these on Ebay down the track also.

First take off all the roms and rams.

IMAG0272.jpg

Cut pin 11 on 2A which is a 74LS32. This breaks connects to the Pin 1 (Dir) of the 74LS245 @ 3E

IMAG0271.jpg

Solder in the DIR wire from the multigame board as shown.

IMAG0270.jpg

Done.

Edited by Arcade King
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators
4 hours ago, PinballABE said:

I came across this thread while looking for info on Stern Frenzy.  I'm a sucker for multi game mods on original hardware and this is a very cool hack. Did you ever make some of these to sell?

Was just some fun had no intention on selling them. While you can switch between games the issue is dip switches. While both games have them in the same location they have different functions between games.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the locations of the dips in the code using MAME debug so I could hard code them to default. Over my head. 😞