Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Z80 / SRAM / EPROM address line question

Berty

Question

I'm trying to locate a possible broken trace between a Z80, 8x8K SRAM and a 27C512. Am I right in thinking that a Z80 address line will run to the corresponding address lines in both the SRAM and EPROM simultaneously?

Below is a diagram to explain what I am asking.

Address Line Question.png

6 answers to this question

Here is a pic of the part of the circuit board. It's from the Captain Zodiac I posted a repair log on. I probed some of the other address lines and it looks like a few of them are wired like I mentioned above.

Here is a pic of the chip configuration.

Taito Zodiac.jpg

Here is a pic with the chips out of their sockets.

Zodiac 2.jpg

I am thinking that I have a break between A9 on the CPU and A9 on the SRAM. Note that I bridged A9 on the SRAM and A9 on the EPROM.

I am assuming that there is a broken trace between A9 on the CPU and A9 on the SRAM due to the graphics fault I am getting...

• Administrators

Yeah in that configuration all the address lines should connect between the cpu and ram.

Are you sure the ram is ok? what about any ribbon cables? you see those sort of vertical lines in Pinball displays with the aforementioned faults (including bad tracks)

SRAM is new. I think I lifted a track when removing the old chip. I replaced the connection between A9 on the SRAM and A9 on the 27C512 but must have lifted part of the trace where it goes to the cpu too.

This is where I use machine pin strips over sockets. So many boards I've repair where someone has tried to remove and solder in a socket, and so many times they go ahead and pop one in even with pads or eyelets removed thinking it will still connect. If you pull the eyelet out and go to solder a socket in, most of the time the solder won't pour through to the top side if that's where the trace is.

In your case, your DMM is your best friend :)

I ended up repairing the address line as indicated in the diagram above. No change to the line in the display - that went away by itself. I even de-soldered the repair I made to see if the address line was the root of the issue. No change...

I suspect that there are still some other mysteries that I am yet to uncover on this board.

In the meantime...

I'll update the main repair log thread soon.