Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLXL - Game 8 ~ R-Type (closes 25-Aug)

Can somebody post the rom to this version to a dropbox link? Every version I've downloaded and / or tried to build from the various versions I have is failing with missing files I can't get.

mame107 which is my default version doesn't seem to support this game, so I've been trying on mame166.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152223

Hi Dave, I use 106 and the rtypej ROM from website xxxNATION, where xxx is a variable. Please try this in 107.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody post the rom to this version to a dropbox link? Every version I've downloaded and / or tried to build from the various versions I have is failing with missing files I can't get.

mame107 which is my default version doesn't seem to support this game, so I've been trying on mame166.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152223

The error messages you're seeing happen frequently when a ROM name has been changed in later versions of MAME - in this case, "rtype" was the correct ROM to use from versions 0.106-0.111, and "rtypej" is the correct ROM thereafter. When this happens, often only the files relevant to the change have been included in the renamed .zip file, meaning not all the files required to run the game are in that .zip - you will need the renamed ROM (rtypej) AND the original ROM (rtype) to play it. You can tell this is the case when you see the message "tried in xxx yyy xxx" - xxx will be the new ROM you tried to run (rtypej), and yyy will be the original name (rtype).

TLDR - put the "rtype" ROM in your roms folder, along with the "rtypej" ROM, and it should work.

I simply had to boot up my C64 recently to play R-Type and attack my old score set over 10-12 years ago. The outcome? New PB first go! Thanks MGL! :D (Level 4: 146, 000) (And cheers to @Bubatom for the joystick I used; A trusty Wico Boss!)

A new PB on your C64. That's very good news. And on your 1st go!

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152417

Not sure what happened right at the very end of the recording, hitting F12 seemed to terminate it. WolfMAME 0.196

Nice high score!

- - - Updated - - -

The Bydo are very deadly! In R-Type, you can hear everybody scream. Get your revenge and take them out!

:035:

Looks like I was a lot better at this in October 2012 than in August 2019.

Reading the thread from back then on the last day I played in the state finals of the AC/DC pinball comp, drank a few "cleansing ales" and took 1st place on R-Type in the last hour of play.

In theory I can reproduce 2 out of 3 of those things. Reality will probably be a different beast :40s:

rtype.png.a164ec53e03d4d36940395744ceef975.png

Well, rtypej isn't even listed in my wolfmame106 emulator. Have no idea why, but all that shows up is rtype, rtypepj, and rtypeu. I'll work on it another 15 minutes and if I can't get it to work, then I may have to take a 0. Unfortunately I don't have the time due to other important priorities that came up on my end. Sucks, but it is what it is.

1635021165_rtype-wolfmame106.thumb.jpg.cc5d050c294284c00f9e2f0d2ee2aae7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

0001.png.c2b88312f49d4208fe25312f760b7267.png