Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Rock-ola 490-2 playing too fast

celtrock

Question

Hey folks,

I've got a Rockola that's been pretty hacked apart. Is there anything a PO could have done to the power supply or motor to make it play too fast? When I google the problem everyone talks about theirs playing too slowly. I've got a little timing disc and it shows that this is spinning about 52 rpm. Crazy! Rubber tire seems okay on the idler wheel... I've been thinking about what material I can add (teflon tape?) to make it bigger in order to slow it down but that seems like a really cheap fix. Both the turntable and the carriage turn way too fast. Both. I notice both motors have a screw adjuster with a set-nut at their base. Does this adjust speed? I turned one of them once and then turned it back as it seemed to make no difference. Located in the states so I can't just bring this to one of you knowledgeable lot. Any help appreciated...

2 answers to this question

Ok. i see you are in the USA.. = 117v 60hz voltage

the turn table motor's speed is frequency controlled .....

Q:- is there a spring screwed onto the shaft of the turn table motor..

if so the machine has the 50hz conversion.. so remove it ..

the screw at the gear end of both the carousel & transfer motor is only to adjust back-lash for the armature

Ok. i see you are in the USA.. = 117v 60hz voltage

the turn table motor's speed is frequency controlled .....

Q:- is there a spring screwed onto the shaft of the turn table motor..

if so the machine has the 50hz conversion.. so remove it ..

the screw at the gear end of both the carousel & transfer motor is only to adjust back-lash for the armature

Ok.. had a thought about this problem after i logged off last night..

was a few months ago when i receive a message via my personal email address from another jukebox tech' in the USA with a customer with another turn table speed problem,

so i do not think that you being in the USA will have the 50hz conversion spring

but as you say this machine has had some dodgy work done in the past, i will assume a few things

1) the turn table motor grommets have been replaced, most probably with wrong size, hence lifting the motor too high..

2) the turn table has been Dropped into place bending the idler wheels pivot point,

in both cases this would move the idler wheel low on the shaft running on the main bearing shaft size of 3/16" ( 4.75mm ) in stead of being on the mid' diameter size for 45rpm

how to & what to look for..

1) the grommets should have a conical shape to the top , only one washer & "E" clip holding in place..

2) the idler wheel support arm should hold the wheel parallel to the motor mounting plate.. if not then i would look at the centre pivot point shaft to see if it is bent....

with the motor in the correct place & not running the idler wheel should sit near the top of the 45rpm diameter part of the shaft, as when the motor is energized the armature is lifted by the magnetic field to centre it... this will bring the idler wheel to the centre of the 45rpm running diameter...

3) also if the idler wheel support arm is bent forward it will set the wheel in a downwards direction as the motor starts to spin & pull it down to the 3/16" bearing shaft.. hence you will get 52rpm...