Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Replacing traditional lamps with LEDs in my Indy.. recommendations?

cejay

Looking at finally doing the swap out to LEDs.. yes I'm super lazy.

I realise it's personal choice but anyone have recommendations on what to go with.. I don't really want to be blown away by super bright LEDs where I can't see the ball.

Should I go wideangle LED or frosted? Do people typically go cool/warm white or match the insert colour?

Cheers!

Chris

For the GI in Indy I'd definitely go with the warm white LEDs. In other machines I usually use cool white with some highlight colours but it didn't look great on Indy.

On the mode inserts I also used warm white rather than trying to match colours. All other inserts I colour matched. Note that many of the insets have an outward facing lamp holder on the PCB, (adventure targets I think). For these inserts a flex LED will deliver the best result.

Ultimately LEDs colour schemes are a personal preference and a bit of trail and error is required. Personally I like to keep it pretty simple.

Frosted are the only way to go in head box IMO. Everything else looks spotty. I go warm white on warm colours and cool on cool (blues/greens). Don't go colours in there unless you really like the 'clown vomit' look.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think frosted warm/cool white leds will do the job for me. I'm happy to just keep the heat down and use a bit less power while not making the machine too "bright". A more traditional look is fine for me.

Next question.. who should I order these from to make sure there's no "ghosting"?

Indy is the one game I've never felt comfortable messing with colored LEDs, especially in GI areas. I totally agree that warm white works well, keeping it feeling natural but also helping boost the brightness in some areas.

Yeah, I did playfield LEDs 4 years ago but only did GI in warm white a couple of months ago. The warm white LEDs are pretty good now whereas a few years ago they were very average and not as bright as standard globes.

@cejay I am in the same boat as you. My Indy needs to be upgraded to led's as well. However it is a task that keeps getting pushed back just for the fact that Indy has so many globes. It must be one of the pinballs if not the number 1 pinball to have the most globes in it. There are so many. I have been thinking of just buying a kit from Coin taker just so all I have to do is swap them over. Let someone else sort out all the details.......lol. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Edited by Silver Surfer

CT kits can be a bit of a hit and miss affair. Nothing wrong with the quality of CT for LED's though. I tried a kit out in the early days for a Champion Pub and it was all cool white and looked pretty shit. CP is definitely a pin with retro style and looked so much better with warm. They also had some weirdness going on with the insert colours too.

Anyone had problems with Ghosting/Flickering on Indy? I read that other post regarding a bullet proof mod and it was a little overwhelming..
Depending on the game, part of the issue can be the code driving the matrix, so different roms can help. More detail than you probably want:

https://emmytech.com/arcade/led_ghost_busting/

• 2 weeks later...

The only lamps that allow for some artistic freedom are your GI lamps. Controlled lamps are a given and back box is warm white.

On the ones I have restored I stayed with warm white. I did use some green on the left and red for the upper gates. Used 6V warm white led strips under the right ruins and red LEDs strips on the path of adventure.IMG_20180428_135233.thumb.jpg.0e3048c9284d895c33a17ffa283e0d8b.jpg