Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Powering a coin door - home built arcade machine

darkmenace

Question

Hi all

Just wondering what recommendations people have for powering coin doors in their home built arcade machines?

Ordinarily I know you can connect them to your PC PSU, but now that you can use a raspberry pi or similar as the basis of an arcade machine, and don't need a full desktop PC anymore, putting a PC PSU in just to power the coin door seems excessive. Can you buy these things with their own AC/DC adaptor out the box, so you can plug them into a power board along with the Pi, marquee lighting, speakers etc inside the cabinet?

Cheers

DM

6 answers to this question

Hi all

Just wondering what recommendations people have for powering coin doors in their home built arcade machines?

Ordinarily I know you can connect them to your PC PSU, but now that you can use a raspberry pi or similar as the basis of an arcade machine, and don't need a full desktop PC anymore, putting a PC PSU in just to power the coin door seems excessive. Can you buy these things with their own AC/DC adaptor out the box, so you can plug them into a power board along with the Pi, marquee lighting, speakers etc inside the cabinet?

Cheers

DM

This may be of some use to you. I got the lighting running off 3volts on this project....

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/99970-Battery-Powered-Taito-Upright?p=1244933#post1244933

If you take out the battery I used in this project, you could replace it with a wall wart like those used to power a RPi. I actually think the better way to power an RPi is to use a 12volt wall wart and then use something like this to power the RPi because wall warts aren't exactly a good smooth regulated power supply however if you feed 9- 36vDC into this thing it will regulate a good strong reliable 5volt 3amp DC supply for the RPi and you still have another 5volt 3amp port to use to power other things.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-9V-12V-24V-36V-to-5V-3A-Dual-USB-Charger-Step-Down-Buck-Power-Supply-Module-A/113343502733?epid=24025374156&hash=item1a63cc998d:g:j14AAOSwqlpb2npX

Yes I know you can buy RPi wall wart power supplys but if you put your meter on them and watch the voltage coming out you will see the 5volts isn't exactly nice and clean. Personally I think better to have the wall wart for changing the AC mains to DC and then use an inverter to drop the DC, smooth it and regulate it to the required DC level.

Hi all

Cheers

DM

You can use a simple switch rather than the more complex coin doors.

Lights you can power off their own brick.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice guys.

You can use a simple switch rather than the more complex coin doors.

Lights you can power off their own brick.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

So mechanical coin doors i've seen on the net don't require any power at all to register coin inputs?

Thanks i'll see what i can find online in that case :)

If it is just for playing the games, just put the board in free play mode. If you want to put up credits and not free play but still want the coin door looking correct, put a switch behind the coin reject button. You want credits simply push the reject button.