Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

1943 sprite issues

Egames Arcade

Question

Well I've decided to give board repair a go and pulled out an old 1943 PCB I received from someone a few years ago, the game boots and parts of the game look normal however all the player, enemy and power up sprites are either messed up or the wrong sprite all together. I've seen all sprites with jailbars, the right half of the player plane duplicated for the left side of the plane, the shell bullets changing from shells to stars while shooting etc.

If the game is left on for a while however the issue starts disappearing.

On 1943 what is responsible for displaying the sprites? would that be the z80, the eproms or the ram?

Also my PCB seems to be different from the normal one so would mine be a bootleg or a different revision? Most of the text is in Japanese so is this a Japanese board revision?

IMG_20190730_185207.jpegIMG_20190730_185451.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

3 answers to this question

Don't know much about those boards, but with any board I always start with checking voltages and make sure you've got 5 volts at the IC's.

After that I start re-seating all the socketed chips, while checking for corrosion on both the socket and the chip.

Also re-seat the ribbon cables.

If still no good, I run all the ROM's through the reader and check each one on romident and download the game ROM to verify each ROM chip.

Finally... if all that fails, I fight myself from going to get the baseball bat and smashing it to pieces !:lol

ROMs on these boards are a common failure, gfx ROMs are on the back board. From the image it looks like something is effecting the upper address line, so could be the logic, but I'd start at the ROMs and work out. As the issues come and go it could also be a socket issue, you may find that by taking them off to test, and then reinserting them in the sockets you cure the issue. Edited by Womble