Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Retropie on Linux Asteroids

I have recently been playing with mame setup on linux mint.

I have it working but find vector games like Asteriods and Lunar Lander dont look that great.

I have sesrch the web for fixes and some said to adjust vector beam in retroarch but i cannt find the option . Any help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrators

I know on a Windows machines the setting is in the mame.ini file located in the Mame Install Directory. I would assume that the Linux version has a similiar option. You just edit it with a text editor and you're right its the only way to make vector games look good on a PC based machine and CRT.

Brad

I have recently been playing with mame setup on linux mint.

I have it working but find vector games like Asteriods and Lunar Lander dont look that great.

I have sesrch the web for fixes and some said to adjust vector beam in retroarch but i cannt find the option . Any help appreciated

have you checked out the video options in retroarch ? remember retroarch needs to be set to save settings on exit (or manually save the config in the configuration menu) or you'll lose any updates made, and wont see any difference.

Edit - sorry, that's bad advice... the settings for vectors are not located within retroarch.

Far as i can tell, you need to go to opt/retropie/configs/ and whatever mame version (dir) you are using.

then look for these two lines and update to suit monitor:

display_width 640

display_height 480

To really make vectors look good, you need a high res monitor, 640x480 CRT wont cut it. I'm using a low res CRT and vector games on my retropie install look crap. but they look awesome on my high res CRT in the upright.

This page helpful: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/1035/how-to-make-vector-arcade-games-look-their-best

Edited by Jed

Retropie on Linux Asteroids

After trying a few things.

Running the vector games on advmame1.4 worked the best, full screen and bright.

I couldn’t get Asteriods working until I unzipped the file into the rom arcade directory, then it worked fine.

Edited by riverinapinball

• 3 years later...

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with vector games like Asteroids and Lunar Lander not looking great. Have you tried checking the settings in MAME itself? Maybe adjusting the resolution or aspect ratio could help. Also, have you tried asking for help in MAME or Linux Mint forums? They may have some tips and tricks that could solve your problem. Hope this helps! By the way, have you tried CentOS 7 Extended Lifecycle Support?

Edited by Glorypisy