Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

L&AI Neo Geo monitor is failing

Pando

Question

Hey fellas,

I’ve got a Leisure & Allied Industries Neo Geo lowboy and the monitor / chassis is certainly on the way out. There is a dark edge down 1/4 of the left side and the whole display is quite dark - I’ve had to turn up the brightness which is really visible when there are a lot of blacks. I’ve had the machine for about 15 years and I think it’s just had its day.

So, all that said, what’s my best approach on getting this fixed? I’ve not handled monitors before and am aware of the dangers and precautions. Not knowing what chassis was normally in the machines I’m not sure if it’s worth trying to get a replacement or trying to get it fixed? If Jomac works magic on these particular chassis I’d look to send to him but I’m not even sure if he services these particular models or accepts work anymore.

18 answers to this question

It's likely a Kortek monitor, as they were very common in LAI Neo Geo cabs. Probably a Kt-26 chassis with a Zenith tube. If you're very lucky, you may have a Nanao in there.

You can send the chassis off to Joey, but even after he services it, you may still end up with a dull monitor that is lacking brightness and colour. If you have to crank the brightness all the way up and then see the oversaturation and lines on the screen, then there's a decent chance your tube is old and tired.

You can take the tube to someone local and have them give it a whack with a rejuvenator, but this may not do anything and in some cases, can kill the tube. It's kind of risk/reward when it comes to rejuvenation.

Hey thanks for the heads up on what’s potentially in there. So, knowing all that, what would be my best approach? I guess getting knowing it could be the monitor and / or chassis I guess i need to look to get the monitor out, see if it’s worth javing it rejuvenated, or look to getting a new monitor. Might be worth looking to get a Nanao chassis too. So many options, don’t know whereto start... :/

Hey thanks for the heads up on what’s potentially in there. So, knowing all that, what would be my best approach? I guess getting knowing it could be the monitor and / or chassis I guess i need to look to get the monitor out, see if it’s worth javing it rejuvenated, or look to getting a new monitor. Might be worth looking to get a Nanao chassis too. So many options, don’t know whereto start... :/

The very first step is to decide how much money you want to spend on this. That leads to the second step, do you want to stay with CRT? Or move to LCD? The amount of money you want to spend will often dictate that decision.

Let's say for now you want to stick with CRT. The first step, to eliminate all other issues, is to get the chassis serviced by Jomac. This will involve removing the chassis and posting it to Jomac in Perth. Postage will be around $25 each way for a boxed up chassis and the chassis service will likely cost between $100-$150. So all up, you will get back a nicely serviced chassis, but your tube could still be shit, it's a risk you'll have to take if you want to eliminate chassis issues.

Now, if you get the chassis back and the tube still looks shit (which is a likely possibility) then you will want to pull out the tube and take it to someone who can attempt rejuvenation on it. If the tube is that shit, you've got nothing to lose with giving it a shot. It might kill your tube, but then again, it might breathe new life into it. Heaps of members on here have rejuvenators and know how to use them, so it's just a matter of finding a helpful local.

So, chassis first, then tube. If it's all still shit after trying both of those things, then you can suss out if you want to buy a new CRT monitor (expensive and difficult to find) or go down an LCD path (cheaper, but less original).

I have a working 25" Toshiba tube and chassis here. The picture is far better than the original LAI tube and chassis were ever capable of producing. I know this because we were ripping the LAI ones out and installing these tube and chassis in when they were new machines. A simple case of you get what you pay for.

Should fit straight in size wise...25" Vs 26". Only problem you will face is these tube and chassis are 120volt so you may need to install a 240-120 volt transformer to drive it which I have as well.

I'm asking $200 for the tube with the chassis and $60 for the transformer if you do actually require it as some LAI did run on 120volt for the tubes and chassis however this was rare.

I refuse to put this thing in the post but you being fairly close, it should be quite easy for pickup.

Thanks pat for the options, I really appreciate that.

Now, Steve’s offer is probably way more inline with my budget and what I’m looking for. Steve, I’ll send you a PM shortly when I finish work.

Cheers fellas.

@Pando is it it a 20" lowboy Neo geo ? if so then you will struggle to fit the 25" toshiba monitor in a 20" cabinet.

Hey, I’m pretty certain it’s a 25” lowboy, I’ll measure it up when I’m home.

Curious @Pando do you mind turning that machine on and taking a pic of the screen so that I can see what you are referring you please?

- Con

Sure, see attached.

It's kind of hard to make out when the screen is full colour, but you can still see the dark bar on the left and the colour is off. When it's a black screen, it's totally noticeable.

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

Sure, see attached.

It's kind of hard to make out when the screen is full colour, but you can still see the dark bar on the left and the colour is off. When it's a black screen, it's totally noticeable.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=150836

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=150837

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=150838

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=150839

Hit the test switch inside the front door till the colour bars show up please.

Hey guys, so I've finally had the time to get the monitor that I got from @Autosteve into my cab. Thankfully there was a 110v transformer in my cab already so I was able to re-purpose that. My concern is now, is that how do I determine if there if a live or neutral requirement where the wires connect at the chassis?

I've attached some photos, you can see where it comes out from the transformer it's utilising aussie standard brown, blue and green from so something tells me this is important to trace back to the chassis? Any help? I'm so close to powering this thing on! ;)

IMG_4562.thumb.jpeg.64661db2c0aab6fc9dfde13c8333ed93.jpeg

IMG_4563.thumb.jpeg.ccfea6b8a3463c2b22533411a9f02016.jpeg

IMG_4564.thumb.jpeg.79ac4cbb32d0e211e0dc18aaaba9b3c3.jpeg