Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Best method to strip Simpsons LAI control panel?

Hi guys,

I am currently restoring a LAI Simpsons cab & was wondering the best way to strip the CP?

I removed a clear factory mylar, The artwork seems to be screen printed onto the metal CP.

I tried sanding it but it was tough going & I fear it would clog up my sander.

Citrus paint stripper doesn't do much to it either.

Any ideas?

Michael.

Should be just a mylar stuck to the metal plate. Heat it up with a hairdryer and it should allow you to get it started. Once you have a fair bit to grab hold of just continue peeling it off. Of coarse you need all the joysticks and buttons removed first.

To re-apply the new mylar, one drop of detergent in a small spray bottle, no more and spray it on the metal. Take backing off mylar and lay in place. The detergent will allow you to center it for about 1 hour only so plenty of time to get it right.

Let it stick and then stanley knife a cross in each hole. Grab a rat tail round file, a course one, and lightly file to the metal edge of the hole. This will give you a prefect cut and take about 30 seconds per hole.

This is the exact same procedure we were doing for years mainly doing conversions.

Thanks for your reply.

The metal CP definitely has the artwork printed directly to it, Hopefully this pic shows what I'm talking about

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=150805

It's not standard LAI then. It didn't matter if you bought the machine off them ie, a ready made Simpsons LAI cab or you bought the kit version of the Simpsons that come as a control panel mylar, cabinet mylars, header panel and board, nothing was painted. It was all printed on 3M brand mylar.

The art looks like it has been left behind in the glue once the outer layer of the sticker has been peeled off.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

That seems to be it. Acetone does work somewhat but it's tough going. Any ideas on another stronger solvent?

It is a LAI CP for sure also

[ATTACH=CONFIG]150806[/ATTACH]

I used vinegar once overnight all glue disolved to jelly like

Paint stripper will make it to like jelly but I'm thinking the problem is the mylar has de-laminated so nothing is really going to get through it to melt the adhesive.

The other issue with any solvent is the mess. Did you try heat as in a heatgun or hairdryer?. That was how we did get adhesive off along with a scrapper.

Again, pretty messy but it will come off. Other than that I think you will be sanding. I wouldn't bother with a wire wheel, I'd just hit it with a sanding pad attachment in a drill with 40 grit sand paper. Not much can handle 40 grit for long.

Paint stripper will make it to like jelly but I'm thinking the problem is the mylar has de-laminated so nothing is really going to get through it to melt the adhesive.

The other issue with any solvent is the mess. Did you try heat as in a heatgun or hairdryer?. That was how we did get adhesive off along with a scrapper.

Again, pretty messy but it will come off. Other than that I think you will be sanding. I wouldn't bother with a wire wheel, I'd just hit it with a sanding pad attachment in a drill with 40 grit sand paper. Not much can handle 40 grit for long.

I tried sanding it the other day but I was worried about my festool sander, It's a sticky dust so I stopped.

I'll try the discussed methods & deal with the mess I guess. I'll let you know how I go

Go to a powdercoator ask them to bake it for you in the kiln... it will burn all the glue off then powder coat the pannel black apply new overlay cost u $5 to burn it off I’ve done it multiple times don’t waste your time

• 1 month later...
Go to a powdercoator ask them to bake it for you in the kiln... it will burn all the glue off then powder coat the pannel black apply new overlay cost u $5 to burn it off I’ve done it multiple times don’t waste your time

I took the panel to a local powder coater as recommended to burn it off. Left it with the guy for a week.

Gives me the panel back saying it did nothing to it. I have my doubts he even tried & couldn't be bothered.

• 7 months later...

Stumbled upon my old post here, I ended up using about a litre of acetone with a stiff wire brush & steel wool to remove most of the artwork.

Used a citrus paint stripper to get the last of it then scraped off the remaining artwork. Messy AF job

I've done quite a few LAI Cabinets, mainly TMNT, SF, Simpsons and a few NBA Jams & MK and what you are describing is typical of the original art. The LAI adhesive is a pain to remove and often leaves art residue.

To remove the adhesive, I'll usually use a n angle grinder with a twisted wire wheel (they are more aggressive than a straight wire wheel), and then after I've removed the bulk of the residue (usually after about 10 mins) I'll switch to the orbital sander with an 80- grit pad to get the rest.

I've done this at least 2 dozen times with great success.