Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

advice please?

im in a predicament,i committed to a pinball on ebay in melbourne(im in qld).the auction stated cash on pick up ,so its really there.also no paypal. i havent payed for it yet as i googled the seller and found hes been in a fair bit of trouble with the law its a good rare pinball at a good price . he seemed ok on the phone and the big red van is right to pick up next week.i was going to do a bank transfer but im wondering what if he disputes that he got it etc.i have his address ,phone number etc. i was going to fly down but thats going to cost me lots to do. really dont know what to do. ideally i need to give him cash on pick up otherwise its a gamble. any other way to safely transfer without risk?

Crap. PayPal is for shipped goods. If he can’t supply a tracking number because you picked it up then you only have to say you never got it and they will you give you back your money. None of us take PayPal for pins now. Pm me if you want I’ll go get it for you

Sort of offtopic.

Apparently Paypal wont be excepted soon by Ebay, they are to have a new payment system soon.

thats what Ive read some where, I heard likely some time this year or next they will have their own payment system, in attempt to cut down the double hit of fees for sellers.But likely more because ebay doesnt own Paypal any more, and the agreement they have with paypal Expires very soon. Thats going by what I have read anyway

On topic.

in the case your talking about, I get why people dont want to pay huge money in paypal fees, But Obviously if you have researched the seller but you still want the item, look at the item first and pay on pickup. other wise walk away.

Last time I sold a very expensive restored arcade machine on Ebay, It was originally a pickup only item and made the mistake of excepting paypal with the buyer, the fees hurt badly. I was already hurting from the ebay fees.

Its hard on big expensive machines, those fees arent just a few dollars.

they dont need to offer paypal on Pickup only items

Edited by jason1

Sort of offtopic.

Apparently Paypal wont be excepted soon by Ebay, they are to have a new payment system soon.

thats what Ive read some where, I heard likely some time this year or next they will have their own payment system, in attempt to cut down the double hit of fees for sellers.But likely more because ebay doesnt own Paypal any more, and the agreement they have with paypal Expires very soon. Thats going by what I have read anyway

On topic.

in the case your talking about, I get why people dont want to pay huge money in paypal fees, But Obviously if you have researched the seller but you still want the item, look at the item first and pay on pickup. other wise walk away.

Last time I sold a very expensive restored arcade machine on Ebay, It was originally a pickup only item and made the mistake of excepting paypal with the buyer, the fees hurt badly. I was already hurting from the ebay fees.

Its hard on big expensive machines, those fees arent just a few dollars.

they dont need to offer paypal on Pickup only items

I believe cars are exempt but everything else must have a secure payment option either Paypal or Paymate or other.

Last time I sold a pinball on eBay (long time ago) it worked out to about 10% of the item value with all the eBay and Paypal fees.

eBay is just not competitive to sell on these days for big items that's why they are so draconian with the communication restrictions these days

eBay is just not competitive to sell on these days for big items that's why they are so draconian with the communication restrictions these days

yer they certainly arent, Facebook has been kicking their arse lately. The article i read about the paypal thing was an attempt to try and be more competitive.

But even taking out paypal fees, 10% Ebay fees is their problem. No longer is it a place to buy or sell secondhand stuff, its now just a place to buy Chinese shit and thats about it now, and even then aliexpress is starting to hurt them pretty hard in that department.

Was ok when they used to have final value fee fixed to a certain limit, but now it sucks.

From the restructuring they talked about in the article I read, It really didnt look that much better for sellers.

they are clearly failing with tackling the newer trading systems we have now.

Crap. PayPal is for shipped goods. If he can’t supply a tracking number because you picked it up then you only have to say you never got it and they will you give you back your money. None of us take PayPal for pins now. Pm me if you want I’ll go get it for you

How is that the case as I don't quite understand? If a courier were to pick it up or an interstate middleman in this case and a tracking number or something of sorts wasn't given then I don't think it's that simple for a refund if there's no proof in the transaction according to paypal except for payment if through paypal as for any other form of payment how will that work out for the buyer? I can understand why sellers insist on paypal fee reimbursement on expensive items buy the buyers , especially if they can't / won't ship themselves because your effectively paying for an insurance policy if things were to go south for whatever reasons. I can see the positives in paypal but also how it can be manipulated, but in this case if things don't feel right with this guy then avoid it completely.

Edited by hotty

When people don't accept Paypal, thats definitely something to worry about.

Why? For all intents and purposes, Paypal is an honour system. Refusing to accept it is a perfectly reasonable condition to put in a listing (albeit one that breaches Ebay's policies).

Why? For all intents and purposes, Paypal is an honour system. Refusing to accept it is a perfectly reasonable condition to put in a listing (albeit one that breaches Ebay's policies).

For me it sparks worry...

Why won't they accept PayPal? Is the item dodgy? I like paypal as I am protected as a buyer.

Ive never refused payment via PayPal.

As for people claiming they didn't get it - tho they may have picked it up..

What you do is keep ALL communication via Ebays messaging system..

I even take photos of items being picked up. That way they can't make a claim.

You've obviously never had to deal with a Paypal chargeback. They're not interested in any of that stuff. Claim made=refund issued, no questions asked, no right of reply.

For me it sparks worry...

Why won't they accept PayPal? Is the item dodgy? I like paypal as I am protected as a buyer.

Ive never refused payment via PayPal.

As for people claiming they didn't get it - tho they may have picked it up..

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I WOULD EVER DO. I want to make that clear now, this is an example, sadly allot of people do this.

I could seriously buy a pinball from you pay by paypal, say it arrived broken or lost in transit, Lodge a claim and get a full refund from paypal and good luck to you getting the money or the item back. you can show what ever documentation you want, The buyer has the upper hand

I like paypal it is useful and I do use it allot, as it does protect the buyer, but it does not protect the seller, the charge back is a big problem and many sellers have been scammed of big ticket items this way. Paypal needs to figure out a better system when it comes to charge backs.

Ive had an item Ive clearly stated Was fragile and Wanted pickup only, had a buyer convince me they are willing to take the risk with the fragile item. I packed it up the best i could, showed them pictures of the item packed.

A courier dropped it, they organized the shipping and they didnt insure it, they charged back the item on paypal, I didnt want to send in the first place. I showed paypal the conversation where the buyer was happy to take the risk and was shipped in the way they wanted it, by the company they wanted, and even picture of the wrapping. I lost $700 that day.

I have had paypal work in my favor as a buyer, from dodgy items.

But man as a seller with big expensive valuable items, No thanks I dont use paypal for that, or if I do its only with people I know and trust. to much to loose. Its a big risk

You've obviously never had to deal with a Paypal chargeback. They're not interested in any of that stuff. Claim made=refund issued, no questions asked, no right of reply.

Effectively loosing the total cost of the machine as well as the machine? At the end if you send with proof of tracking or they pickup in person and they try a chargeback don't you have any recourse at all?