Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Target Alpha

greydog

Question

Calling Gottlieb EM Experts, I purchased a hunk of junk Gottlieb EM Target Alpha pinny with the aim to restore and re-theme (no idea what theme yet). I was just wondering if it can be turned into a 2 player machine and what is involved to get it there, my simplistic, uneducated guess would be to remove player 3 and 4 reels and associated wiring right back to the relays and modify the player stepper unit to only recognise 2 players, how far off the mark am I?.

8 answers to this question

Yes it could be done. There's actually not much differences between the wiring in a 2 player Gottlieb and a 4 player machine.

Two player Gottlieb still have a player unit with 4 positions, they just step 1 and then 3 during a 2 player game.

I'd be tempted to use the player 1 and player 3 reels. That way the player unit always steps 2 instead of 1 and 3 during a two player game. That should be more reliable. Would still need to step 4 during a 1 player game.

When you say "hunk of junk" do you mean it's rough or you don't like the machine?

Yes it could be done. There's actually not much differences between the wiring in a 2 player Gottlieb and a 4 player machine.

Two player Gottlieb still have a player unit with 4 positions, they just step 1 and then 3 during a 2 player game.

I'd be tempted to use the player 1 and player 3 reels. That way the player unit always steps 2 instead of 1 and 3 during a two player game. That should be more reliable. Would still need to step 4 during a 1 player game.

When you say "hunk of junk" do you mean it's rough or you don't like the machine?

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply, glad to hear it could be done, the machine is very rough, no backglass, playfield worn badly but complete, cab riddled with boarer holes etc etc, I bought it because it was cheap and I love a challenge with these EM's and the thought of changing it into another theme is just cool.

I have a nice Target Alpha already so I will start with cleaning up the old playfield top and bottom, pop it into my good TA and get it functioning and go from there.

If I managed to find a complete 2 player backbox, would it then be a matter of plug and play?

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply, glad to hear it could be done, the machine is very rough, no backglass, playfield worn badly but complete, cab riddled with boarer holes etc etc, I bought it because it was cheap and I love a challenge with these EM's and the thought of changing it into another theme is just cool.

I have a nice Target Alpha already so I will start with cleaning up the old playfield top and bottom, pop it into my good TA and get it functioning and go from there.

If I managed to find a complete 2 player backbox, would it then be a matter of plug and play?

I've had to deal with borers before. They tend to be specific about the wood they like, so the cabinet might be chomped but the playfield, bottom board and insert may be ok. Whatever shows signs of borers I would wrap in plastic (from memory I used something like this for the cabinet: https://www.bunnings.com.au/wrap-move-2-3-seat-lounge-protector-cover_p2610090), vacuum out the air and drop in a freezer for a few weeks. If it's the playfield I might just cut and run on it. https://australianmuseum.net.au/learn/collections/conservation/ (look in the How to Prevent Insect Damage section) for a bit more detail.

I don't know if the wiring between 2 player and 4 player was that compatible, but I would guess not. I could be wrong. From memory 2 player uses the CX relay to set the number of players, whereas a 4 player uses the unit front right of the bottom board? I'd have to have a look at the schematics. It might be that a 4 player head would work on a 2 player body, but I don't know... I would expect that a 4 player body with a 2 player head might have issues.

Why not restore it, Mine was a wreak as it feel off a tail gate & was dead as a dodo also with no backglass.

Also I have the schematics & a fare bit of knowledge on it too if you need help. :)

The playfield has seen better days.

Thought about restoring it back to original but I already have a nice one, I'll come up with ideas on what I'll do with it.1551402661074.jpeg.9da04743e4f5f4cf1830e12366ecbb33.jpeg

The playfield has seen better days.

Thought about restoring it back to original but I already have a nice one, I'll come up with ideas on what I'll do with it.[ATTACH]143652[/ATTACH]

WOW! that was a well played machine... I see where your coming from now! I'd be like you, considering a full sand back to wood & design a new game for the fun of it. Nothing to loose. :)