Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Lost the pinball passion

Smithy

@Smithy Build that shed of yours, swing past with a truck and pick up any arcade or pinball machine you want to play.

I have heaps and you will be doing me a favour coz I do not have any room left and then I can buy more haha

You need to mix things up.

- Con

Thanks mate, might take you up on that offer early next year once the new shed is finished.

And agree with you about mixing it up.

I'm really very happy with the pins that I have theme wise and gameplay wise but think it's time to rotate a couple titles and bring in something fresh.

Sell a couple pins and step away for a while. Then hopefully when Elvira LE lands in AUS in Jan 2020 I'll be motivated enough to drop 13K.

Time will tell. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Change is as good as a holiday, and all things must pass.

Well said G, I think you nailed it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost the pinball passion

Nothing wrong with getting away from Pinball :) I’ve always had other hobbies as well as pinball and after getting rid of my games a few years ago I don’t miss them at all actually I’m glad there gone lol but I have kept one which I play once a month, have to force myself to play it and really only play it just to keep it running smoothly haha. But as I said I think having other hobbies is important. Not sure how old you are but I’m an older bloke and my kids are all working and in there 20’s so my wife and I now have our life back so we can now travel and do what we want to do great feeling. If you sell them you can always buy games back later there everywhere, good luck with whatever you decide [emoji106]

Thanks mate, might take you up on that offer early next year once the new shed is finished.

And agree with you about mixing it up.

I'm really very happy with the pins that I have theme wise and gameplay wise but think it's time to rotate a couple titles and bring in something fresh.

Sell a couple pins and step away for a while. Then hopefully when Elvira LE lands in AUS in Jan 2020 I'll be motivated enough to drop 13K.

Time will tell. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Well said G, I think you nailed it.

Maybe learn how to play an musical instrument?

Maybe learn how to play an musical instrument?

Funny you should say this. I set the drum kit up yesterday and annoyed the neighbours for several hours.

Was lots of fun jamming along to Megadeth's Rust in Peace, Sabbath and System of a Down's Toxicity but geez I forgot how long it takes to set up a 8 piece kit with 13 cymbals.

Realized I'm not as fit as I used to be but life is good.

Between smashing the pigskins, rebuilding the sandman and loving my kids there won't be much downtime.

Funny you should say this. I set the drum kit up yesterday and annoyed the neighbours for several hours.

Was lots of fun jamming along to Megadeth's Rust in Peace, Sabbath and System of a Down's Toxicity but geez I forgot how long it takes to set up a 8 piece kit with 13 cymbals.

Realized I'm not as fit as I used to be but life is good.

Between smashing the pigskins, rebuilding the sandman and loving my kids there won't be much downtime.

Awesome news....I never was any good at drums, had a small kit when i was real young....42 years ago

Wouldn't have mattered how much noise I made the neighbour was the kinda bloke that rode his harley into his mum & dads lounge to work on it....

Thanks to our new Alice Coopers Nightmare Castle I have been looking at concert footage online and the Drummers solo in the Alice Cooper concert is insane....Sydney Concert half way thru

I can't even find the energy to tap my foot for a whole song and not get tired or keep up let alone your 13 Cymbals....

13 heh, lucky for some...

Good to hear something different happening

I'm loving this thread. A bit more each day

Its quite surprising how many pinheads on here are musically talented.

Usually Musos are decent pinball players. Except for the guitarist in my band, who is the dead set worst, as he double flips like a rookie. I shake my head in disbelief in how excellent a guitarist he is, and yet has zero coordination playing pinball.

Usually Musos are decent pinball players. Except for the guitarist in my band, who is the dead set worst, as he double flips like a rookie. I shake my head in disbelief in how excellent a guitarist he is, and yet has zero coordination playing pinball.

They both rely on hand and eye coordination

Being a player it is easy to get bored with pinball. That is the whole reason you need to rotate them on site to keep the money coming in so I guess the same will be for your own personal machines.

Probably the reason I have had so many pins go through my hands. I simply get sick of them over time and then it is time to move them on and get some different ones.

I probably get more enjoyment fixing them than playing them but at times a machine just grabs me and that felling is there again but there are some machines that I can just never get that feeling.

Funny thing is it can be any machine from any era pretty much. I guess I'm lucky not needing the latest and greatest to feel that.

The hard part is finding pins that give me that feeling.

Don't worry Rob, I wouldn't do it to you. Just as I know you wouldn't inflict Chisel on me............or would you?

For some reason I think Chisel is going to sneak in one day.........:077:

If it does it wouldn't be me sneaking it in. However if we're ever in a head to head final with cash on the line it may come down to a battle of Chisel vs Gregorian Chants :065:

Its quite surprising how many pinheads on here are musically talented.

Can't say I'm a pinhead as I don't own one but am looking at building a virtual pin.

But I've been playing drums since I was about 4 (35 years ago :O) and DJing since I was 15.

But back to OP question, I think that having a break and exploring other hobbies and passions in your life will make you come to appreciate the pins more so in a few months time. If not, then consider swapping out a title or 2 and see if the passion is still there.

Not sure what's going on lately. Haven't played a pin at home for a couple months and have no interest in it AT ALL.

I walk to the pinball room and don't even want to press the start button.

Maybe after 25 plus years of playing and collecting pinballs I'm done.

Not sure if I want to have a firesale or just a long timeout from the hobby.

Either I'm broken or need a reboot. Help! What to do ?

Lost the passion. :(

I usually pull them down when it gets to the point of them being boring , then stick them in the corner somewhere with a sheet over them . let them sit for a couple of years.

it happens often to all of us , you know its not getting better when you go to sell them off ...

over the years i have reduced my personal collection down to 4 , and still hardly play them

sometimes you need a break from pinball then re charge and now back playing a few games

it happens often to all of us , you know its not getting better when you go to sell them off ...

over the years i have reduced my personal collection down to 4 , and still hardly play them

sometimes you need a break from pinball then re charge and now back playing a few games

+1

Balance is the key no matter what it is in life (work, rest, play).

A break can be the best thing or something new to add a little spice.

Something I read a few years back...All good things come to an end and all bad things come to an end. May sound a bit simplistic but I've found this saying makes me appreciate the good times, whilst knowing the tough times won't last forever.

You had me at hugs lol

So Mr Hank,

Reading the comments from yourself I am assuming these hugs that you give out or want to give out are a warm and cuddly hug with a reach around or just a simple hug?

- Con

...[i don't like the auto-tuned crap that has been coming out for many years though].

I hear you there, Paul.

Although I've never used auto-tune, it's a fantastic tool for someone like me who composes lyrical melodies, but can't sing fr shizzle. Yet the industry standard way of using auto tune today is killing the timbre, richness, and energy/vibrancy that music (vocals) should be sharing with the listener.

To be frank, I much prefer the sneaky underhanded way the industry used to use like in the case of Milli Vanilli... Maybe they couldn't sing, but the voices heard on 'their' recordings were the voices of those who could really sing.

Nowadays the industry, thanks to auto-tune, are blatantly truthful with their 'use' of non-singers, because those susceptible to the myth of fame just don't care about reality, and have no idea that they're swallowing loads every time they turn on their device.

'Non-singers' like Springsteen, Poly Styrene, Shane McGowan, Nico, Dylan, Joe Strummer, Marianne Faithfull, Cohen (add your own)... They're all becoming ghosts of the past, despite 100's of millions of music fans who are still attached to the character and delivery those voices gave, and still do to offer.

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice some of the new singers on the block singing through their nose? The way technology is these days, it's hard for me to tell, but I have an intuition that many modern singers who have some talent or skill are cutting their teeth by singing along in their bedroom to auto-tuned vocals.

Nothing wrong with singing or playing along with recordings in your bedroom... That's the way it's done when you don't have the privilege to grow up in a Home or Community where you can learn your thing off live musos.

Sing or play along to fair and just music, and you'll get closer to being a fair and just muso yourself... Sing or play along to auto-tuned or machine made melodies and you'll sound like the music industry... Lifeless.

I know I'm not an old fuddy duddy... My ears are as sharp as a tack (maybe I am fuddy?), and whilst I do like the 'older' stuff I like (that is not tautology :cool:) I long to hear the new breed evolving, rather than devolving.

I recently finished a 90sec epic composition entitled 'Streamlined for your Maximum Prime Time Experience' - It's a piss taking piece that has no chorus, and fits sweet in a slot of the structure of the modern music TV game shows.

I'm so glad Punk Rock of the late 70's found me. I find it insane the vomit that is coughed up as mainstream music today is released by companies' who laud the fresh and innovative stuff punk produced back in the day.

@Smithy... I guess you're Luke?

I'm sure you trust that I'm not derailing your thread.

I'll be over your way for the SA Masters, and will be hitting Grant up for me to crash at his warehouse.

Super keen for you to bring your drums along (no triggers LOL) for a no-cover orientated jam.

Cheers,

G

Edited by GEE