Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Lost the pinball passion

Smithy

Yep I get stuck in a rut with pinball at times and usually during the colder months as it's too damn cold in the garage to play and concentrate. Still when something like Pinfest/ Pincade/ Barn or mega meet comes along I catch up with a few people, talk shite and have a few beers.

I feel the hobby is more about the people I've met and the fun I've had more than actually playing the games them selves.

Now having said that, it is winter and I haven't turned a game on in two weeks.:(

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost the pinball passion

The only problem with a fire sale, is if you decide to get back in, imagine how much all those pins have gone up since you sold them? Just let them sit for a long time before any descisions are made. [emoji3166][emoji3166]. No wife, so all my pins are inside with air con and heating..[emoji108][emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many many wise words in the posts I have just read here, helps to know others have had similar experiences.

A good break sounds like the answer, with a chance to put priorities elsewhere.

Recharge the pinball batteries in time.

Thank you AA family. :D

Many many wise words in the posts I have just read here, helps to know others have had similar experiences.

A good break sounds like the answer, with a chance to put priorities elsewhere.

Recharge the pinball batteries in time.

Thank you AA family. :D

Group hug :056: ;) problems solved.

What you need is to invite me over to kick yr ass on all yr machines to get you motivated again ;) How about a 7 game head to head challenge on Matchplay for ratings points? I do these all the time with a couple of friends, really cool.

I enjoy pinball most when I am challenged by another. I don’t play my machines on my own. They are there to play with friends and for tournaments.

Maybe if you played some more tournaments you’d find a new kind of interest.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, if you have a collection you don’t rotate because you love them too much things can get stale.

What you need is to invite me over to kick yr ass on all yr machines to get you motivated again ;) How about a 7 game head to head challenge on Matchplay for ratings points? I do these all the time with a couple of friends, really cool.

I enjoy pinball most when I am challenged by another. I don’t play my machines on my own. They are there to play with friends and for tournaments.

Maybe if you played some more tournaments you’d find a new kind of interest.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, if you have a collection you don’t rotate because you love them too much things can get stale.

You sure your going to kick his butt. I remember him kicking your butt at the sa masters big time :D

Having been involved with pins over 30 yrs now i can definitely relate. I go through phases where i won't touch my machines for months at a time.. i put it down to working on other peoples games every day of the week and just getting burnt out from it. Usually the only time my games are switched on is when friends visit or the occasional pinball gathering.. and even then i'll spend most of the time talking or watching the others play them rather than playing them myself.

I sometimes think of selling up and/or getting out of the business of repairing/restoring them but i'm too dumb to know how to do anything else :lol:lol

Edited by Mr Pinbologist

The only problem with a fire sale, is if you decide to get back in, imagine how much all those pins have gone up since you sold them? Just let them sit for a long time before any descisions are made. [emoji3166][emoji3166]. No wife, so all my pins are inside with air con and heating..[emoji108][emoji108]

NO WIFE....

AGREED....

DIVORCE PROMOTES PINBALL....

You can quote that one liner if you like

Yes, mine live inside now too...

NO WIFE....

AGREED....

DIVORCE PROMOTES PINBALL....

You can quote that one liner if you like

Yes, mine live inside now too...

Mine have always lived inside. The garage is NO place for Pinball. Unless you carpet and air condition the garage. Guilty @KISS. :lol

Mine have always lived inside. The garage is NO place for Pinball. Unless you carpet and air condition the garage. Guilty @KISS. :lol

Yes been there done that. Have now upgraded the house so that I have my own dedicated pinball room. The only problem is I have made it “too cool”, every time I go in there my kids and their friends have taken over the room!!!

Yes been there done that. Have now upgraded the house so that I have my own dedicated pinball room. The only problem is I have made it “too cool”, every time I go in there my kids and their friends have taken over the room!!!

SAME PROBLEM HERE! So I put all the games on pay to play & my justification was the machines cost to run & repair so their coin input is going to that cause. The freeloader problem went away. :)

SAME PROBLEM HERE! So I put all the games on pay to play & my justification was the machines cost to run & repair so their coin input is going to that cause. The freeloader problem went away. :)

Love that idea, will give it a go.

Lost the pinball passion

(This is a serious reply) Go see your doctor, you might becoming depressed and don't know it, Depression manifests itself in many odd ways, losing interest in the things you love is one of the signs.

Good point, but I suggest doctor or psychiatrist as the last step, they’ll prescribe you serotonin reuptake inhibitors (and some might say you have a chemical imbalance and you need to take them for the rest of yr life). If you are depressed, go and see a psychotherapist or a counsellor. They can attend to the underlying problem instead of masking it with drugs. When the only tool one has is a hammer every problem is a nail.

Often drugs are what the patient wants, they don’t want to do the work to sort themselves out, they just want to take a pill.

But knowing Smithy, he’s just lacking some good competition :)

Edited by onetaste

This is a very good post with lots of different input,I haven't posted on as for a long time but still read. If it's just pinball that is stale don't be too hard on yourself ,it's just a hobby but if you aren't getting any enjoyment out of other things in your life that's a more serious situation. Identifying what triggers your emotions etc fun ,enjoyment,boredom will assist with what's going on.

Ask your friends and wife to see if they notice any difference in your state of mind or behaviour. If it's just pinball don't stress but if it's loss of interest in all other things

It may need a little more investigating.

Don't be too hard on yourself though. We all take time to regroup and repair. Medication isn't the be all end all as brains all react differently to the meds, when it becomes serious it's a combination of exercise,healthy eating,mindfulness, medication, counseling,therapy or what you want to call it . Hope your feeling ok today Smithy.

Awhile back I seriously considered selling all my pins up and getting a muscle car or hot rod that the whole family could enjoy, But changed my mind in the end.

I think we all contemplate it at some time or another.

A while back I ended up selling all pinballs and arcade machine after having lost interest.

I still miss them and have slowly started to get back into it.

Perhaps I should offer a service to store pinball/arcade machines while you decide to get rid of them :)

or buy them in a firesale with the option of the original owner having buyers remorse and being able to buy it back within 2 years of sale.

Might be a worthwhile business and 2 years would allow rotation of games :)

@Smithy Build that shed of yours, swing past with a truck and pick up any arcade or pinball machine you want to play.

I have heaps and you will be doing me a favour coz I do not have any room left and then I can buy more haha

You need to mix things up.

- Con

Times like these it's always good to pay some time to the passions you've maybe been neglecting, or perhaps have a proper crack at something you've always wanted to have a crack at but have been putting off.

Change is as good as a holiday, and all things must pass.

Cheers,

G