Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Lost the pinball passion

Smithy

Not sure what's going on lately. Haven't played a pin at home for a couple months and have no interest in it AT ALL.

I walk to the pinball room and don't even want to press the start button.

Maybe after 25 plus years of playing and collecting pinballs I'm done.

Not sure if I want to have a firesale or just a long timeout from the hobby.

Either I'm broken or need a reboot. Help! What to do ?

Lost the passion. :(

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done this soooo many times :) I've gone months without playing machines.. mind you when you only have a couple at home they can become a bit stale. Then all of a sudden after a long break I'll be interested in the hobby again.

Rotating games is a good way to stay interested but if you have machines you don't want to let go then it's a matter of having a break until the bug bites you again. Sometimes extended breaks are a good thing.

Happens to us all. I would just stop for a while and don’t look at them. Maybe 3 months. Then go have a game on a hard machine. See if the spark comes back. If no then consider selling up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what's going on lately. Haven't played a pin at home for a couple months and have no interest in it AT ALL.

I’m calling fire sale, will be around on the weekend :)

Maybe you just need some pinball hugs?

Saturation in any hobby (pinball, arcade etc) leads to things becoming stale for sure. Too much of a good thing, etc

I feel the same way about arcade gaming, just over it now after 20-odd years of playing since MAME came out.

Maybe the CBA factor also (can't be arsed) Like Arcade, Pinball is fun but can be pretty stressful :D

Do you host houseball? I have a comp on every Sunday (social with drinks and $2 shop prize) and get at least as much enjoyment out of watching others play as playing myself.

I find that i don't sit even if others are playing a one player game, just love to watch.

I also love the art on the machines and will walk by and just appreciate them for the art object they are, i choose machines on this basis.

Look for other things you enjoy about them besides racking up scores i say.

I also say if you have a Sorcerer, PM me....:lol

PinballPervePunkin

When I have talked to my wife about our long term financial goals and plans I have stated that I can't imagine that I will be into my arcade games and pinballs at 60+yrs old so I imagine I will be out of the hobby and have sold most of them by then. (I only have 4 pins and 5 arcades)

But we have been together for over 20yrs and she knows me well and said "that's only 9yrs away how much are you going to change in that time?" hmmmm she may have a point. I just always imagined my collecting of games would come to an end one day and I would just move on. I would always keep one or two and some artwork for memory sake, but when I'm older and want to downsize the house do I really need a bar and arcade / pinball room?

Time will tell :)

@Smithy there has already been lots of good advice here and I would agree with just giving them a break for a few months. But then evaluate what you do with the time that you gain, are you having productive fun doing other things? or is something missing? If you still don't feel the love then sell up except for a few little keepsakes to remember.

In the future we will probably all be able to relive Pinball and Arcade on VR units that hopefully emulate the experience with tactile controls better than playing the real thing :D

(This is a serious reply) Go see your doctor, you might becoming depressed and don't know it, Depression manifests itself in many odd ways, losing interest in the things you love is one of the signs.

I spoke to his doctor and he said @Smithy has to sell me his Centaur. Bitter pill to swallow but that will fix everything.

I'm with you Smithy,

Have been in the hobby for just over 30yrs and haven't turned mine on for over 12 months as they no longer really interest me.

It's getting close to the time to sell them all to people who will enjoy them like I did many years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Quite normal really.

I've done it and then sold ALL my machines only to regret letting go of 2 of the machines months later.

God knows I drove Ryza insane trying to buy back Tron LE :lol

Depending on how many you have but having huge $ tied up in something you're not really into anymore is crap and could be spent elsewhere.

Just keep what you think you might find hard to let go if you were say "still into Pinball".

I have only been in this hobby for maybe 5-6 years, but I barely turn any of my machines on anymore. Maybe once every couple of weeks, if I am lucky, and even then, it will only be for a few games.

However, I will not get out of the hobby for the forseeable future, as I love having my mates around to drink beer and play games. I enjoy being able to be the guy where people come to my house and have a great time playing games. It's one of the few things in my life that makes me happy. It's not a collection for me, it's a collection for me and my mates.

I spoke to his doctor and he said @Smithy has to sell me his Centaur. Bitter pill to swallow but that will fix everything.

I totally agree with this, I sold my Centaur a few weeks ago and I feel great about it :D

(This is a serious reply) Go see your doctor, you might becoming depressed and don't know it, Depression manifests itself in many odd ways, losing interest in the things you love is one of the signs.

EXTREMELY SERIOUS...

Great advice...I am also in a rut that I just don't understand at present...And...Depression is likely to be a contributing factor.

Nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed to admit. In fact realisation of this is extremely hard to admit or come to terms with...Thus doing so is a huge step forward.

I really enjoy playing with others but also admit the comp scene can be very stressful to the point where it can become a choir...

Just relax take it easy for a while and try and get something else going that brings you a smile and don't dwell on things in the past....You can't change the past so don't let that eat you up....

Good luck figuring out what works for you...And remember to keep in contact with others rather than think you can do it all alone....People really do care but unfortunately sometimes it doesn't feel that way...

If you do decide to get rid of any machines then their will be a list of people on this thread waiting for a PM....

And I reckon they will all welcome you around to play when you feel the desire.....

Good luck

Losing interest is pretty normal, i usually get re-inspired after going to a social meet or competition. Or a visitor or guests have a crack on the pins I haven’t played for months gets me enthused again, if only temporarily.

Have a break as others have suggested. I’ve had Pinball in my houses since 1988 and was obsessed from age 5.

A little older and a little wiser now. I have gone through stages and still do where they don’t get played for weeks sometimes months. But I still get enjoyment on a Friday after a big week at work to turn them on have a bourbon sit in the big comfy chair and just enjoy the view.

Or start to sell and see if it gives you a pain in the chest. That can also tell you if you’re over it. Best thing mate is if you sell and the passion comes back, we will all still be here to sell you something :lol CHEAP!!!!!

I wish I got bored with the hobby but it is just to much fun and a great challenge .Pinball to me is such a addiction you can smash it for 1 or 2 games then it will smash you back . it's my get out after working 14hr days and best of all when have i family or friends around for a session no amusement machines are better than Pinball :D

I admit I was bored shitless with I.J only because I owned it for 20 plus years, However I now have a JJP WOZ in it's place and it's a breath of fresh air, now I'm looking for an excuse to go and check something in the gameroom just to have a few more games. Boredom for the whole pinball room is something else. IMO
  • Like 1