Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

LAI Laser Disc Cabs?

Hi guys,

Picked up a couple of cabs the other week and was wondering if anyone knew much about them or if they are worth anything?

They look like some of the cabs that had the laser disc based games and on one side of one of the cabs looks like a rip off Space Ace kinda art.

One of them has a large empty space usually seen on laser disc equiped cabs but sadly no hardware was inside.

Thanks

7E2608C8-C948-431C-8DC5-0A378625B3D5.thumb.jpg.bba579be4b07d674a5a0b9084808715e.jpg

57C8E0CE-8DCC-43E0-A657-656D0ADFE31F.thumb.jpg.21e052a2a92930f9c72c9d2e3f071e1b.jpg

8D6F5A50-0B95-41F6-97EE-B2E120FB70BC.thumb.jpg.dfc8d40fd8b0f2890cc7c6ef336c5643.jpg

The Blue one definitely an LAI Dragons Lair/Space Ace design but I never saw one in blue. They were all black I thought like mine.

Brad

Yeah I believe they were all Black.

We bought about a dozen of them when Timezone/LAI cleared those cabs out and never saw another colour there.

I believe the other colours are clones made by other operators/companies.

We also have other colours in this cabinet shape, but they are different in construction to the LAI black cabs - obvious clones.

Looking at this blue one - its never had the vent at the bottom and its coin door isn't the same size as the black ones.

Unless - if the sides of this are black, then maybe an op just replaced the front panels on a LAI cab to make it more colourful.

Has the LAI metal badge at back, LAI CP, wiring pcb connector is LAI branded and overall construction fits with an LAI cab.

I’ve seen a fair few clones/customs of lai style cabs before and to me this one looks legit. Could have possibly been a limited run of the design destined for other games?

I don’t have a LAI dragons lair to directly compare and there may be some differences but it does look like this was made by LAI.

Has the LAI metal badge at back, LAI CP, wiring pcb connector is LAI branded and overall construction fits with an LAI cab.

I’ve seen a fair few clones/customs of lai style cabs before and to me this one looks legit. Could have possibly been a limited run of the design destined for other games?

I don’t have a LAI dragons lair to directly compare and there may be some differences but it does look like this was made by LAI.

Are the sides of the cab black? If so then I'd be 99.99% certain that an op just replaced the front panels with blue.

On very rare special occasions LAI did do different colours compared to 99% of what was made for a model.

Are the sides of the cab black? If so then I'd be 99.99% certain that an op just replaced the front panels with blue.

On very rare special occasions LAI did do different colours compared to 99% of what was made for a model.

Sides are also blue.

Sides are also blue.

Maybe someone pulled off the black laminate and put blue on instead? - I know that happened with lowboys in the 90's, people would pull off the woodgrain and put colours on instead

It looks strange having black t-moulding and black internal laminate but then blue outside....

Maybe someone pulled off the black laminate and put blue on instead? - I know that happened with lowboys in the 90's, people would pull off the woodgrain and put colours on instead

It looks strange having black t-moulding and black internal laminate but then blue outside....

Yep very common to re-laminate when the door was damaged or the coin mechs original holes were to big for later coin mechs. Happened a lot of Gottlieb and Galaxy cabinets because they loved to put in Mars coin mechs and the industry liked the smaller NRI coin mechs.

Easy way to change things, fill the hole or replace the whole door and re-laminate the door and route out the new smaller coin mech hole.

Edited by Autosteve

Ah i saw these on gummy

Did wonder a ps4 conversion in the dl cab running dl trilogy

- - - Updated - - -

Royston i was told by his son who think still lives at their original house with shed did make their own cabs bitd too. Maybe they cloned one?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this too. I have a black one and I don’t think it was a Dragon’s Lair/Space Ace.

If it was the speakers would be facing forward as this one pictured that still has the LAI plexi DL/SA scoreboard/speakers. They must have holes for the speakers?

Did LAI have a bunch of these left over out there just running non laserdisc games?

Do the DL/Space Ace ones have a dedicated tray for the laser disc player as it looks like there are rails in them?

Be good to learn about the DL/SA cabs.

I’m currently converting mine to a laser disc Cobra Command.

59BC3579-42D5-42A0-8C00-9FF8C26066A3.jpeg.cbf67c0a2ec29e00bf1a005bc4a9b25d.jpeg

79F5DFEC-DF16-4BE6-AAD9-6470FB2C73E4.jpeg.cf34ebd45793409062fee6c6fb80bdee.jpeg

1D0A1EA7-F4C2-4B8D-8051-3CD747703927.jpeg.ef7a995beb1e1c5eadcc450146d1534a.jpeg

02B576BE-D610-4532-848E-67BE30074556.jpeg.11d3da05ec61a9f16e7edcbd23acf3ce.jpeg

I saw this too. I have a black one and I don’t think it was a Dragon’s Lair/Space Ace.

If it was the speakers would be facing forward as this one pictured that still has the LAI plexi DL/SA scoreboard/speakers. They must have holes for the speakers?

Did LAI have a bunch of these left over out there just running non laserdisc games?

Do the DL/Space Ace ones have a dedicated tray for the laser disc player as it looks like there are rails in them?

Be good to learn about the DL/SA cabs.

I’m currently converting mine to a laser disc Cobra Command.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151098

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151099

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151100

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151101

The speaker/score back panel was removed from the cabs and a new blank board was nailed on when these types of cabs were converted to normal jamma conversion cabs. I never actually noticed this until this thread came up and I actually looked at a few of the cabs closely.